Not your average "Who makes the best AT?" thread. This is an above average one! - Page 25 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Not your average "Who makes the best AT?" thread. This is an above average one!

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Reply
Unread 11-16-2013, 11:35 PM   #361
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,596
Goodyear is still USA owned. Where are its tires made?

__________________
Warning: Sometimes I edit a post a few times to get it how I want it.
Charley3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2013, 03:27 AM   #362
Ed209
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Claremore, OK
Posts: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
Goodyear is still USA owned. Where are its tires made?
All sizes of MTR/K & Duratrac are made in US. All sizes BFG KM2 made in US.
All BFG KO made in US, except for size LT195/75R15, made in US & Mex.
Ed209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2013, 07:13 AM   #363
mschi772
Web Wheeler
 
mschi772's Avatar
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Racine, WI
Posts: 2,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed209 View Post
Some sizes of Grabbers and Grabber AT2s are made in Mex and Czech. The AT2s on my pickup and Jeep were made in Mex.
Noted. For me, it's easy because I embrace a global economy and will only make a special effort to spend domestically if all other factors are equal. If Koreans are making a tire that's better for me than Americans are making, my money goes to Korea. Others have different priorities, though, so I try to stay as well-informed as possible for them; thanks for the correction/info.
__________________
My 96 XJ is for sale in the event you want something to restore or build into a wheeling rig. Sale ad is HERE.
mschi772 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2013, 07:31 AM   #364
wilson1010
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 1,638
Making tires is dirty business. Glad to see them made in third world countries. I'd rather not have a tire factory in my backyard.

Thanks to the Koreans for working for $5 a day and for fouling their own air and water in ways that Americans won't do.
__________________
03 Rubicon; 99 xj with too much stuff to list; Unimog 406
wilson1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2013, 01:31 PM   #365
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed209 View Post
All sizes of MTR/K & Duratrac are made in US. All sizes BFG KM2 made in US.
All BFG KO made in US, except for size LT195/75R15, made in US & Mex.
There was a rumor going around JF in the past that BFG AT were now made in China. That is not the case?
__________________
Warning: Sometimes I edit a post a few times to get it how I want it.
Charley3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2013, 01:47 PM   #366
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
Noted. For me, it's easy because I embrace a global economy and will only make a special effort to spend domestically if all other factors are equal. If Koreans are making a tire that's better for me than Americans are making, my money goes to Korea. Others have different priorities, though, so I try to stay as well-informed as possible for them; thanks for the correction/info.
Agreed.

Also, isn't the XJ an international vehicle?

Wasn't XJ suspension and original fuel injection designed in France by Renaux? And then TJ front suspension is a copy of that.

Wasn't the XJ body and frame (unibody) designed in France by Renaux? I personally like unibody.

Wasn't the XJ's transfer case(s) and excellent auto transmission designed and manufactured in Japan by New Venture or New Process? How about the manual transmission?

The XJ is the most international Jeep ever, and my personal favorite too.
Crown replacement parts are excellent (sometimes better than Mopar parts, IME) and Crown parts are made in China.

XJs, and to some extent TJs, are popular all over the world and can be seen driving anywhere in the world. XJs are still being manufactured in China and some South American country (Brazil I think).

Wouldn't it be fun to fly to Brazil for vacation, buy a new XJ, and drive it home?

On the same note, other super popular, well designed USA cars that have been discontinued in USA are now made in other nations. Ford Rangers were discontinued in USA, but are still made in Mexico and Australia. Buick Park Avenue was discontinued in USA, but now made in China. Some discontinied Cadillacs are now made in China.

US car makers sometimes license popular older models to be made by foreign companies in other nations. Sometimes US car companies build their own factories in other nations to keep making old popular models.

It's an international world and I don't hear any US Citizens complaining when that benefits us, which it often does.

I want to vacation in Brazil, buy a new XJ and drive it home. On the way home, stop in Mexico and buy a new quad cab Ford Ranger.
__________________
Warning: Sometimes I edit a post a few times to get it how I want it.
Charley3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2013, 02:14 PM   #367
jeepjamesw1
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Sandy, Utah
Posts: 76
QUOTE BY CHARLEY 3: "Thank you! I said the same near beginning of thread and got flamed over and over for speaking the truth. Duratrac is not an AT (even though Goodyear marketing dept calls it an "aggressive AT")."

I read this whole thread and later forgot this point you made about the Duratracs.

Just a quick note. I have been looking for tires for my TJ Rubicon to replace the MT/R's but noticed my five year old tires on my Ford F350 diesel truck, Cooper Dominator Sport A/T "E", with a manufactured date of 0608 has cracked sidewalls. They have between 10K and 15K miles on them. They were bought at Discount tire in 07/08 and probability need to be replaced, due to these cracks. I'll go to Discount tomorrow and see if they are history and if they can do anything for me. The Dominator Sport A/T is an AT tire to possibility avoid. They've had recalls in the past and they also do poorly on wet roads and gravel roads.

Last edited by jeepjamesw1; 11-17-2013 at 02:24 PM..
jeepjamesw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2013, 02:34 PM   #368
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepjamesw1 View Post
QUOTE BY CHARLEY 3: "Thank you! I said the same near beginning of thread and got flamed over and over for speaking the truth. Duratrac is not an AT (even though Goodyear marketing dept calls it an "aggressive AT")."

I read this whole thread and later forgot this point you made about the Duratracs.

Just a quick note. I have been looking for tires for my TJ Rubicon to replace the MT/R's but noticed my five year old tires on my Ford F350 diesel truck, Cooper Dominator Sport A/T "E", with a manufactured date of 0608 has cracked sidewalls. They have between 10K and 15K miles on them. They were bought at Discount tire in 07/08 and probability need to be replaced, due to these cracks. I'll go to Discount tomorrow and see if they are history and if they can do anything for me. The Dominator Sport A/T is an AT tire to possibility avoid. They've had recalls in the past and they also do poorly on wet roads and gravel roads more so than other AT tires I've owned in the past.
Huh. OK.Good to know.

Regarding crackes sidewalls. My tire store has told me, and it has been my experience, that ingaraged vehicles in the Nothern USA will get tire sidewall cracks within 5 years, no matter the brand. Garages vehicles tires last more years before cracks develope because less sun damage.

In sunnier Southern climates, sidewall crack develope sooner due to more sun damage.

So your tires lasted as long as any brand could before developing sidewall cracks.

I have always wondered if (during Summer) applying rubber conditioner with sunscreen (like offered by Maguire) to sidewalls might prevent cracks.

BTW - This is why it's a good idea to keep a cover on spare tire. It keeps sun off the tire.

I realize tires will still dry and crack eventually, even if no sun (like in storage), but sun does cause cracking sooner.

I don't drive very many miles per year. I've never worn out the tread on a set of tires. I have to replace about every 5 to 6 years due to sidewall cracks. This has been same with all brands I've used.
__________________
Warning: Sometimes I edit a post a few times to get it how I want it.
Charley3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2013, 02:49 PM   #369
jeepjamesw1
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Sandy, Utah
Posts: 76
Thanks Charley3 for your last post. (#368) At least I'm not alone with tire cracks. I use a liquid UV protector on the rubber roof of my 5th wheel and I think I'll be checking out the UV products for tires as well. Maguire's products have worked very well for me in the past, so I'll start there. Maybe I'll try the "Meguiars Mirror Glaze #40 Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner / Conditioner" and see how it works over time.

Last edited by jeepjamesw1; 11-17-2013 at 03:12 PM..
jeepjamesw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2013, 04:05 PM   #370
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepjamesw1 View Post
Thanks Charley3 for your last post. (#368) At least I'm not alone with tire cracks. I use a liquid UV protector on the rubber roof of my 5th wheel and I think I'll be checking out the UV products for tires as well. Maguire's products have worked very well for me in the past, so I'll start there. Maybe I'll try the "Meguiars Mirror Glaze #40 Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner / Conditioner" and see how it works over time.
Don't use Amorall. It's main ingredient is alcohol. Amorall is really a cleaner, NOT a protectant.

Alcohol makes rubber (or plastic) clean and shiny, but accelerates drying out and cracking. Read ingredients and avoid products containing alcohol.

The most effective protection is a garage or carport, or parking in shade.

If a car is parked in garage when not in use, the sidewalls might last 8 or 9 years, but that's about it. Perhaps same for ungaraged car with rubber conditioner and UV protectant applied to sidewalls? I'm referring to Northern climates here.

If you do nothing to protect your sidewalls, they'll last about 5 years in a typical Northern climate, or 2.5 to 3 years in a typical sunny Southern climate.

The irony is that although driving low miles per year saves me gas, it doesn't save me any money on tires. I have to replace tires approx every 5.5 years (sidewall cracks) even though lots of tread left.

However, I now have a garage. So my sidewalls will last longer now.
__________________
Warning: Sometimes I edit a post a few times to get it how I want it.
Charley3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2013, 06:21 PM   #371
JPGoody
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Harbor Springs, MI
Posts: 262
And let us not forget elevation and snow,sand, water reflectivity.

NOAA claims between a 4-5% increase in UV radiation for every 1000 feet ascended. A sunny day parked at the slopes at 10,500 feet is like a week in sunny Florida. (Snow being more reflective than sand.)

Surprising, seeing as my Silent Armors, while the side walls are peeling and de-laminating they are not terribly cracked. They are 6 years old have never seen a garage and have spent last 5 years above 5,000 feet with 300+ days of sun.
JPGoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2013, 07:49 PM   #372
Ed209
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Claremore, OK
Posts: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
There was a rumor going around JF in the past that BFG AT were now made in China. That is not the case?
The only published info I can find says that KO, Rugged Terrain, and KM2 are made in US. Maybe Michelin is having some of the cheaper Goodrich outsourced to China?
Ed209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2013, 08:58 PM   #373
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPGoody View Post
And let us not forget elevation and snow,sand, water reflectivity.

NOAA claims between a 4-5% increase in UV radiation for every 1000 feet ascended. A sunny day parked at the slopes at 10,500 feet is like a week in sunny Florida. (Snow being more reflective than sand.)

Surprising, seeing as my Silent Armors, while the side walls are peeling and de-laminating they are not terribly cracked. They are 6 years old have never seen a garage and have spent last 5 years above 5,000 feet with 300+ days of sun.
Perhaps Silent Armor are more prone to peeling and delaminating than cracking, but either way your sidewalls are failing at 6 years. Probably started failing around 5 years?

Still proves my point. Sidewalls typically last around 5 years in Northern climates, if car not garaged. That is regardless of miles driven.
__________________
Warning: Sometimes I edit a post a few times to get it how I want it.
Charley3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2013, 09:00 PM   #374
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed209 View Post
The only published info I can find says that KO, Rugged Terrain, and KM2 are made in US. Maybe Michelin is having some of the cheaper Goodrich outsourced to China?
Maybe. Don't know. It might have been an Internet rumor aka Bulloney.
__________________
Warning: Sometimes I edit a post a few times to get it how I want it.
Charley3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 12:34 PM   #375
fastfreddie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 555
Despite the Duratrac being called a "commercial traction" tire, I'm finding it(internet info) to be more of what I'm looking for in a tire.
It seems to have good reviews for ride and all around traction, and a lot of people that came off BFGs, etc. have stated the Duratrac was better. So, whether it's an AT or other, people are liking it more than the predominant AT brands.
I'm seriously considering it as my next replacement.
fastfreddie is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.