Not your average "Who makes the best AT?" thread. This is an above average one! - Page 23 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Not your average "Who makes the best AT?" thread. This is an above average one!

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 11-11-2013, 10:34 AM   #331
1997xj
1997 XJ Cherokee 

@ jeepjames - It depends what you mean by quiet. I don't consider them loud, but being an AT you can hear them. They're louder from 40-50 mph than at other speeds but at no time are they uncomfortably or unacceptably loud to me. They're quieter than a toyo m55 but not by much and have a different sound. The m55s sound a bit like a semi truck on the highway. More of a hum or whine whereas the AT2 is lower pitched. I wouldn't worry about the noise level with the AT2. If you need an AT you'll have to put up with more noise than a p rated tire whichever one you get and these don't seem unusually loud. Hope this helped!

8.25 rear with limited slip, liberty rear discs and prop valve, H4s and harness, header, throttle body, toyo at2 in 235/75r15, alpine system, high volume water pump. Gas tank skid and cruise control coming up.
1997xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 06:16 PM   #332
jeepjamesw1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

1997xj
Thanks for the feedback. Yes it helped. When I was asking about "quiet" I was trying to get some idea how the Toyo AT2s would compare to other AT tires (Cooper At3) and interpolate this to my GY MTRs. I would assume any AT tire would be quieter than a MT tire, but it seems some AT tires are really quiet and some are more on the noisy side. Also, some MT tires seem to be more quiet than others. My MTRs are quite worn and have a few chunks missing thus adding to their noise level. This makes it hard to hear anything other than tire noise. I assume you can enjoy your alpine system with your Toyo At2's which says it all. I have to turn off the radio after about 40mph because I can't hear it anyway.
jeepjamesw1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 06:55 PM   #333
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepjamesw1 View Post
Thanks, nice post. I like the Toyo AT2 in the 265x75R16C size as per weight and height and Duratrac being more aggressive but Cooper looks good also.
Keep in mind the Toyo AT2 LT tread is slightly less aggresssive than the Cooper AT3 LT tread. So keep that keep that in mind when choosing.

Whether that is desireable, or not, depends on your needs.

Look at pics of each. The Cooper AT3 has slightly larger voids.
Unread 11-11-2013, 07:01 PM   #334
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

My Cooper AT3 don't sound like an AT.

They are silent with windows up. When I occasionally hear them (with windows down) they sound like an all season car tire.

I have good hearing too.

For sound there is no AT quieter than Cooper AT3. By comparison BFG AT are really loud.
Unread 11-11-2013, 08:01 PM   #335
jeepjamesw1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Charley3
You have a great thread going. It sounds silly to most but the only thing I don't like about the Cooper AT3 is I can't find them with only a black sidewall in the "C" rated 245x75 or 265x75 16" sizes. I don't really like the white lettering even if I place it on the inside. This reminds me of my old muscle cars in the 60's & 70's, although they were enjoyable. My jeep is no muscle car, but is even more enjoyable. FYI, my wife pointed out a jeep across the parking lot to me the other day and he had OWL Coopers. The owner said he loved his Coopers and said they were a much better tire than his old BFG AT tires off road.
jeepjamesw1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 09:47 PM   #336
1997xj
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Yup plenty quiet for a relaxed drive. It's my daily driver and I do some 5-6 hour drives. So not being able to hear myself think isn't going to work for me
8.25 rear with limited slip, liberty rear discs and prop valve, H4s and harness, header, throttle body, toyo at2 in 235/75r15, alpine system, high volume water pump. Gas tank skid and cruise control coming up.
1997xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 11:27 PM   #337
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepjamesw1 View Post
Charley3
You have a great thread going. It sounds silly to most but the only thing I don't like about the Cooper AT3 is I can't find them with only a black sidewall in the "C" rated 245x75 or 265x75 16" sizes. I don't really like the white lettering even if I place it on the inside. This reminds me of my old muscle cars in the 60's & 70's, although they were enjoyable. My jeep is no muscle car, but is even more enjoyable. FYI, my wife pointed out a jeep across the parking lot to me the other day and he had OWL Coopers. The owner said he loved his Coopers and said they were a much better tire than his old BFG AT tires off road.
I went from BFG AT to General Grabber AT2 to Cooper AT3.

The Cooper AT3 are by far the best.

I'm also interested in trying Mastercraft AXT or Hercules AT2 in future. Those are 1st cousins of Cooper AT3. Of those I'd expect the Hercules AT2 to be best on ice due to more sipes. On snow they are all good. On mud Cooper AT3 is good. I don't know how the other two are on mud. The Mastercraft AXT claims to be good on mud (I assume it's as good on mud as Cooper AT3).

White letters are cool, IMO. IF you don't like them, put them on inside and then they are irrelevant.
Unread 11-11-2013, 11:29 PM   #338
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

My Cooper AT3 are as quiet as a passenger car tire. Way quieter than the BFG AT or General Grabber AT2 that I had before.
Unread 11-13-2013, 12:30 PM   #339
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Cooper AT3, Mastercraft AXT, Hercules AT2, Toyo AT2, and Hankook ATM are all great ATs.
IMO they outperform the BFG AT that I used to have, and most of these tires cost less too.

Which is best depends on your needs and tire size. Compare at the size you want.

Hercules AT2 and Hankook ATM are best for ice due many more sipes.

Cooper AT3 and Mastercraft AXT are best for mud due to size and pattern of voids.

All these tires are excellent on road, and relativley quiet. The Cooper AT3 and Mastercraft AXT are the quietest. The noise level of Hercules AT2 is unknown, but probably comparable.

If you want a more agressive tire that is still reasonably good on road, get Duratrac or Mastercraft CT.

When I buy tires again, it will a load C in be one of those tires. The first step is to choose a size. Then see which tires are available in that size in load C and compare their weights and heights. Then consider which of the available tires has the best attributes for my needs. I recommend you do the same.

My opinions above are based on a combination of reviews I read, personal use of Cooper AT3, talking to people who use the various tires, and my experience and common sense.
Unread 11-13-2013, 04:41 PM   #340
fastfreddie

Charley3, you're a piece of work. I mean that as a compliment.

I was, twice, very satisfied with the Pirelli Scorpion AT that I used to use on my XJ and again on my WJ. Sadly, no longer offered.

Now, thanks to you, I'm looking at the Cooper AT/3 and thinking, they look vaguely familiar. Their tread pattern reminds me of the Scorps. I realize tread pattern isn't the only variable conducive to a tire's abilities/attributes, but I couldn't shake the coincidences in those respects.

I haven't read every page here, but has the long term use of the AT/3 been discussed?
Is there a time, mileage-wise, when the performance just falls off?
fastfreddie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2013, 08:19 PM   #341
98TJcomeonuh
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3

That was the Firestone Destination AT I was referring to. A great AT, IMO. Good price too.

The ATs available in 33 x 10.5 R15 are:

Firestone Destination AT

BFG AT

---

Also, General Grabber too. It's not an AT or an MT. It's sort of a hybrid made for prerunning racing. Have tire store add sipes to center treads and it'd be a great hybrid IMO. The only downside is it's a very tough tire with stiff sidewalls that rides rough. You'd feel every bump. Otherwise a great tire (with added sipes). IMO

Note: I'm referring to Grabber, not Grabber AT2.
Where do you see that firestone makes a 33x10.50r15
98TJcomeonuh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2013, 12:06 AM   #342
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfreddie View Post
Charley3, you're a piece of work. I mean that as a compliment.

I was, twice, very satisfied with the Pirelli Scorpion AT that I used to use on my XJ and again on my WJ. Sadly, no longer offered.

Now, thanks to you, I'm looking at the Cooper AT/3 and thinking, they look vaguely familiar. Their tread pattern reminds me of the Scorps. I realize tread pattern isn't the only variable conducive to a tire's abilities/attributes, but I couldn't shake the coincidences in those respects.

I haven't read every page here, but has the long term use of the AT/3 been discussed?
Is there a time, mileage-wise, when the performance just falls off?
As far as I know, no one has owned them long enough to judge long term. They are relatively new.

All I can say is that Cooper talks about a few design features (including deep sipes) that allegedly keep the tire performing well for its life. Also, it has a 55,000 miles warranty, which is better than most brands of AT.

By contrast, BFG AT sipes are very deep IME, and BFG AT has a dual tread compound with the half of tread closest to carcass being harder rubber (to stabilize tread blocks and to increase wear) and the half of tread farther from carcass being soft for traction. This gives both good traction and handling when tire has less than 25K to 30K miles, but after that the soft grippy rubber is worn off, and only hard slick rubber is left. This is why BFG AT perform so good when low miles, and so lousy when mid to high miles. Years ago this was the best design because it offered stabil tread and good grip when tiresow miles. Years ago, that was as good as it got.

However, new, modern designs of tires have new, better ways to have stabil tread blocks for stabil cornering and also have good traction. This allows performance to last longer, through most of tire's life. This also allows deeper sipes that last most of tire's life. This describes all the new generation ATs I recommended.

Also, all the currently best, new gen ATs have 5 rows of tread blocks, except for Goodyear Silent Armor, which I think has 6. More rows offers a few benefits. More edges for traction on wet pavement, ice, and packed snow, and more voids to reduce hydroplaning. Also, better lateral traction on all surfaces. Lateral traction is the most important thing for steering and safety. Also, the new tread designs don't have interlocking tread because interlocking tread clogs easily with snow and mud. For example, BFG AT has interlocking tread.

Interlocking tread was one of the ways old school ATs stabized treadblocks. The new ATs have better ways of stabizing treadblocks. The new ATs have paired treadblocks, which are tied together by a rubber common base. Paired treadblocks stabilizes tread for cornering, and it allows some self cleaning to clear snow and mud somewhat because its possible to have larger voids (and still have stabil tread for good handling/cornering).
Unread 11-14-2013, 12:11 AM   #343
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

The Goodyear Silent Armor is another excellent new generation AT, but it's expensive.

I think it's the approximate equal of the other really good modern ATs, but costs more.

Hankook ATM is another spendy really good AT.

The other really good ATs cost less and perform same or similar.
Unread 11-14-2013, 12:19 AM   #344
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98TJcomeonuh View Post
Where do you see that firestone makes a 33x10.50r15
Firestone Destination AT was discontinued in that size.

If you want that size, BFG AT is a good tire. I don't think it's the best AT anymore, but it's still good and is available in that size.
Unread 11-14-2013, 07:15 AM   #345
98TJcomeonuh
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3

Firestone Destination AT was discontinued in that size.

If you want that size, BFG AT is a good tire. I don't think it's the best AT anymore, but it's still good and is available in that size.
Well good..... Haha. I run the destination a/t's in the 31x10.5 and love them and they are about gone. Really hoping they still made them in 33x10.5, guess I will have to go with the bfg a/t. That's what I had planned but when I saw this thread I got excited , oh well thank you.
98TJcomeonuh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.