Not your average "Who makes the best AT?" thread. This is an above average one! - Page 19 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Not your average "Who makes the best AT?" thread. This is an above average one!

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under Coil Spring Options from Ruffstuff!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 10-01-2013, 04:28 PM   #271
mschi772
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I don't mean to shift the subject, but in case anyone that could contribute this information is reading right now, I really want to see/hear more about Toyo's Open Country AT2 especially given their visual similarities to other "winners" like Hankook's ATM and Cooper's AT3.

New sig rules suck.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2013, 05:25 PM   #272
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
I don't mean to shift the subject, but in case anyone that could contribute this information is reading right now, I really want to see/hear more about Toyo's Open Country AT2 especially given their visual similarities to other "winners" like Hankook's ATM and Cooper's AT3.
Agreed. I'd like to see/hear more.

My only observation to date about Toyo AT2 is very similar tread to Cooper AT3, Hankook ATM, and Nitto Terra Grappler AT; but the Toyo AT2 treads have some partially interlocking tread elements (for better or worse).

Otherwise, I don't know anything about it, but I'd like to know more.
Unread 10-01-2013, 07:12 PM   #273
mschi772
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Hook me up with some KJ Renegade or Limited wheels, and I'll do the testing myself (Pirelli Scorpion ATR if Toyos don't fit; those are also on my to-test list and fit a ton of sizes).

New sig rules suck.
Unread 10-05-2013, 11:40 AM   #274
1997xj
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I picked up a set of lt open country at2 in 235/75 15 about a month ago. I have nothing negative to say about them. I don't wheel my cherokee but I do spend a fair amount of time on forest service roads. On road they corner well, handle wet weather very well, ride well, and only have a slight hum between 40-50 mph. No reports on snow performance yet. I had them out on the fs roads last week and was very happy. I didn't get into any mud deeper than about 2" in that trip but they were fantastic. Most of the surface was loose rock and dirt with a few sections of larger rock. Aired at 28 lbs they handled everything easily and rode well Perfect tire for me
8.25 rear with limited slip, liberty rear discs and prop valve, H4s and harness, header, throttle body, toyo at2 in 235/75r15, alpine system, high volume water pump. Gas tank skid and cruise control coming up.
1997xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2013, 01:40 PM   #275
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the partial review of Toyo AT2. That is useful.

I'm looking forward to a further review of Toyo AT2 in snow, ice, and mud at least 4" deep so I can make some comparisons between it and my Cooper AT3, and Hankook ATM.
Unread 10-05-2013, 02:04 PM   #276
1997xj
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Heading out for a buck in a couple of hours with the jeep this time. I'll see what we run into
8.25 rear with limited slip, liberty rear discs and prop valve, H4s and harness, header, throttle body, toyo at2 in 235/75r15, alpine system, high volume water pump. Gas tank skid and cruise control coming up.
1997xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2013, 04:40 PM   #277
Scherer
2012 JK Wrangler 

Just got a set of Cooper AT3s for my truck, 265/70/17. Paid $138/tire installed. Will let you know how they perform after I put some miles on them.
Unread 10-05-2013, 06:26 PM   #278
Scherer
2012 JK Wrangler 

Almost forgot, Cooper is offering a rebate of $80 when you buy 4 tires. So I actually got them for $118/tire. Couldn't pass it up.
Unread 10-05-2013, 06:28 PM   #279
mschi772
1997 XJ Cherokee 

That pretty much settles it for me. Sounds like the Toyos would give me all that my Kumhos give me now plus some road hum (these Kumhos are virtually silent) and probably some better mudding. I'll probably drop them from my "to-do" list and try Pirelli's Scorpion ATR next if I ever get new wheels since I generally don't touch anything resembling mud in my travels.

It has occurred to me recently thinking about ATs that there aren't really many straight-up BAD ATs. I mean, when they're all pretty good, it gets pretty tough to sort them out from each other; how much better/worse is a Cooper AT3 from a Hankook ATM from a Silent Armor from a General AT2 from a...... I really can't think of a legitimately BAD AT tire as long as it's used appropriately. They seem to live in 3 general categories of mild, mid, and aggressive, and within each category, it's pretty tough to really say X is drastically better than Y. The only "bad" AT's in my mind are the ones that are labeled as AT tires when they really just shouldn't be (Firestone Transforce AT comes to mind).

New sig rules suck.
Unread 10-05-2013, 08:53 PM   #280
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherer View Post
Almost forgot, Cooper is offering a rebate of $80 when you buy 4 tires. So I actually got them for $118/tire. Couldn't pass it up.
You got which Cooper tire?
Unread 10-05-2013, 09:00 PM   #281
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
It has occurred to me recently thinking about ATs that there aren't really many straight-up BAD ATs. I mean, when they're all pretty good, it gets pretty tough to sort them out from each other; how much better/worse is a Cooper AT3 from a Hankook ATM from a Silent Armor from a General AT2 from a...... I really can't think of a legitimately BAD AT tire as long as it's used appropriately. They seem to live in 3 general categories of mild, mid, and aggressive, and within each category, it's pretty tough to really say X is drastically better than Y. The only "bad" AT's in my mind are the ones that are labeled as AT tires when they really just shouldn't be (Firestone Transforce AT comes to mind).
I like the mid.

I do think there are substantial differences in performance on some terrains, and minor differences on road. To me, and many people, those differences are important. IMO

I know you prefer the mild. That's good for you because it suits your needs.
Unread 10-05-2013, 09:22 PM   #282
Scherer
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post

You got which Cooper tire?
AT3 for my Silverado.
Unread 10-05-2013, 10:29 PM   #283
Sconnie_Jeeper
2002 WJ 

Hello All, I am looking for some tires for my WJ. I posted a thread and got a variety of awesome feedback from everyone on here. I am hoping by replying to this thread I will get some direct comparisons among my top choices. One thing I noticed in this thread and others is that there is not much talk about the Firestone Destination AT, especially in comparison to the Cooper AT3, Hankook ATM, or Michelin LTX AT2. I have the Destination on my 98 TJ, and they have been great. Although, that is a lot harder to tell road noise and such on compared to a WJ. I saw a couple if you have had both the Coopers and Hancooks so I am hoping gain some insight and infer how they all relate. Has anyone had multiples of the above? Anyone running the Destinations? Thanks in advance.
Sconnie_Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2013, 10:57 PM   #284
mschi772
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Michelins are a major ripoff--plain and simple. You can buy tires as good or better than them for nearly half the price. Firestone ATs are great. They don't get talked about much because what whole Ford-Firestone thing years back made some people super paranoid, and there are new tires that have been attracting all kinds of attention like the Coops and Hanks. The Firestones are a great value, and you really can't lose with them. I don't know how they perform in mud, but my GUESS is that they're not so good. They handle everything else very well. Some say they're ho-hum in snow, but that's not my experience, nor is it the experience of multiple people I know who all coincidentally plow snow with them. They were a top contender during my last tire decision, but I decided to try a tire I nor anyone I knew had tried before.

New sig rules suck.
Unread 10-05-2013, 11:15 PM   #285
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I've never had Firestone tires. They aren't sold in my local area.

I have read many user reviews of them. Many like them. Some don't. The people who didn't like them complained about poor traction on Winter roads. That makes sense to me since they don't appear to have enough sipes, IMO.

Perhaps someone who has driven these tires on packed snow or ice can comment on that?

I doubt they'd do well in mud. That's my guess from looking at tread pics. I've never seen a mud review of Firestone AT.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.