Not your average "Who makes the best AT?" thread. This is an above average one! - Page 12 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Not your average "Who makes the best AT?" thread. This is an above average one!

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Steinjäger photo contest!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 08-30-2013, 05:30 AM   #166
silvanus
2006 LJ Wrangler 

People meet the " Adventurer " A/T
I like it! It also has robust sidewalls to boot!

silvanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 06:29 AM   #167
WXman
2001 WJ 

The Goodyear "Adventurer" is just another variation of the same old tread. AT/S, Silent Armor, and now this tire...all with the same tread, just tweaked a little. It makes zero sense. So now they've got 3 tires competing against each other in the marketplace, 2 of them being virtually identical with Kevlar sidewalls. What the heck are they thinking?

For the record...out of the three variations, the Silent Armor tread pattern is still the best for mud, snow, and trail use.
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 12:27 PM   #168
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Does Silent Armor actually work in mud? I am skeptical based on looking at the tread. I've never tried them.

That Adventurer tire looks like the stock tires that were on my XJ when I bought it. The did fine on dry and wet roads and were great on gravel roads because they didn't pick up gravel (most ATs pick up gravel). I never tried them on other terrains.

For a person who drives mostly on paved roads and gravel roads the stock Goodyear tires are great. Those Adventurer or Silent Armor would be great at that too, IMO. This tread pattern is great on highway and gravel roads. It's the only AT tread pattern I know of that doesn't pick up and retain any gravel.

I'm sure that tread pattern would also be great on Winter roads. In fact, the Silent Armor is rated as a Winter traction device. It also probably gives good gas mileage.

I'm sure the two tires with Kevlar reinforced sidewalls (Silent Armor and Adventurer) are super tough.

These tires look like they'd do very well on sand.

It's an ideal tread design for DD and most wheeling, except I have doubts about mud.

Anyone tried Silent Armor or Adventurer in mud?
Unread 08-30-2013, 01:48 PM   #169
Concolour
1994 ZJ 

I had better traction with the cooper at3 than the silent armour in slippery mud
Concolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 03:22 PM   #170
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concolour View Post
I had better traction with the cooper at3 than the silent armour in slippery mud
IME the Cooper AT3 is good in mud.

I want to try some Hercules AT2. It's a cousin of the Cooper AT3. The Herc AT2 might be even better in mud.
Unread 08-30-2013, 04:38 PM   #171
Bobs85Reny
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3

IMO the Cooper AT3 is the best AT in mud. So I'd expect that.

I want to try some Hercules AT2. It's a cousin of the Cooper AT3.
Does anyone have any experience with the cooper zeon. The tread pattern looks pretty good
Bobs85Reny is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 08:21 PM   #172
WXman
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobs85Reny View Post
Does anyone have any experience with the cooper zeon. The tread pattern looks pretty good
I ran them on a Dodge Ram 1500 and they were pretty good tires. They weren't great for mud but they were not designed to be a mud tire. Overall, not bad tires. I would rather have the AT3 or ATP than the Zeon though.
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
Unread 09-03-2013, 11:34 AM   #173
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I am not familiar with Cooper Zeon.
Unread 09-03-2013, 02:35 PM   #174
Bobs85Reny
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
I don't know anything about Cooper Zeon.
Here is a shot of the thread pattern
cooper-zeon-ltz-group-large-copy.jpg  
Bobs85Reny is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 09:46 PM   #175
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobs85Reny View Post
Here is a shot of the thread pattern (Cooper Zeon).
Good looking tread pattern. Very similar to Cooper ATP, but I think the ATP has more avgressive sidewall tread and deeper tread.

There are several brands and models with very similar tread, though I can't remember the names.

This tread pattern is known to give excellent traction on all terrains, at least when tread is deep enough and some sidewall lugs.

The Zeon is a tame looking version of this tread. Tamer because less sidewall lugs, and appears to have less deep tread.
Unread 09-04-2013, 05:44 AM   #176
WXman
2001 WJ 

The Zeon has been around for several years if not longer. It was designed to be a cross hybrid between sport and AT tire. It originally was only offered in sizes for 20" wheels. They were popular with the Ram pickup guys who had factory 20" wheels and wanted a tougher look without the harshness that goes with most aggressive tires. They were never meant to be a mud or true offroad tire. I really loved mine...it was the 20" wheels that I didn't. They were HEAVY and killed my already terrible gas mileage.

The ATP was sort of inspired by the Zeon LTZ...you can see some of the cues in the tread pattern. But the ATP is a little bit more aggressive for snow/mud...just a little. Still not a great offroad tire, but Discount Tire wanted something exclusive to sell so they are in contract with Cooper for that tire.
Unread 09-04-2013, 07:21 AM   #177
silvanus
2006 LJ Wrangler 

How's the sidewalls on the A/T3's, are they like an BFG??
Unread 09-04-2013, 10:13 AM   #178
WXman
2001 WJ 

AT3 sidewalls are 2-ply. BFG sidewalls are 3-ply.

The question is, how thick and tough are the layers used? It's sort of like toilet paper. I'd rather have 2-ply paper that has thick plies than 3-ply paper with thin plies. So to really answer your question I think you'd have to ask the companies and let them tell you specifically what the sidewalls are made of on each tire.

I do know that BFGs are heavier and therefore use more fuel and don't perform as well on or off road. So even if they are more tough, the trade offs are not worth it IMO.
Unread 09-04-2013, 11:50 AM   #179
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I have owned 2 sets BFG AT & 1 set Cooper AT3.

BFG AT has 3 very thin plys in sidewall.

I am not comvinced it's tougher than AT3.

Both tires give an exceptionally soft pleasant ride for reasonably tough off road tires.

Is the BFG AT heavier? How do you know? I have never found a weight figure for Cooper AT3.

I think they are both excellent tires, but IME the Cooper AT3 is better on highway, much better in/on mud, and equal at all else, IMO.

The Hercules AT2 I have not yet owned. This will be my next tire. It is made by Cooper and is very similar to Cooper AT3, except the Hercules AT2 has more sipes for Winter traction amd more aggressive sidewall treads for mud traction.

The Cooper AT3 is good at Winter traction and mud traction, but I think the Hercules AT2 might be even better for Winter and mud, and equally excellent on highway. I'm looking forward to trying some Hercules AT2 in future.

For now, I am very happy with my Cooper AT3. I will never go back to BFG.
Unread 09-04-2013, 11:58 AM   #180
silvanus
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I'll look into that!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.