Not your average "Who makes the best AT?" thread. This is an above average one! - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Not your average "Who makes the best AT?" thread. This is an above average one!

Old Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble Fairleads

Unread 08-22-2013, 04:07 PM   #151
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjilla View Post
Sometimes you hafta think who the "consumers" are and what they actually do with thier ATs. And the all the lobbyist that are promoting these products to companies...... consumer rating...nah.

If your looking for a tire that gets 40-60k miles...i wouldnt even go offroad with it. What are we driving? Honda civics?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using JeepForum
Anybody who doesn't get 40k (and realistically 60k plus) out of a legit manufacturer AT (this thread is about ATs right, not bias ply MTs) must drive like a 16 year old boy. Even some of the more aggressive tires out there (e.g. MTRs) will do 40k.

Unread 08-22-2013, 04:10 PM   #152
zjilla
Web Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
What are you talking about?

Cooper AT3 has a 55,000 mile tread warranty.

Hankook ATM has a 50,000 mile tread warranty.

Several other good ATs have 50,000 to 55,000 mile tread warranties.

I don't know what warranty BFG AT has, but it typically lasts at least 50,000 miles. Usually longer.

I think most ATs last at least 50,000 miles these days.

I used a set of All Season load C tires on an XJ for 55,000 miles before they wore out, and I off roaded them often.
awesome

ill wave at you from on top of the hill with my MT/MTRs while your getting 55k miles on your tires. in all seasons of the year.

if your jeep sees 95% pavement then yeah go for an AT, you might as well just keep the stock tires..thats your best bet. whatd you buy your jeep fo anywayr? ima leave this thread before it gets rediculous. sorry i started any drama. im dropping it and driving down to south africa on my own safari....later
www.annirlane.blogspot.com
October 2013 JK of the month
My Slowly but surely JK build thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/s...hread-1562595/
zjilla is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 09:55 PM   #153
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I bought my Jeep for a daily driver and for fun. My Cooper AT3 are good for both. They can drive through 4" deep mud in 2wd (open diff) without spinning. I haven't yet found anything needing 4wd. Plenty good enough off road for an AT, excellent on road, and the gas mileage is pretty good.

Reasonably good gas mileage does add to the fun because I can drive it more.

I used to have an LJ. I had 33 x 11.5 MT on it. The gas mileage was so bad that it reduced the fun. I couldn't drive it as much as I wanted, and when I went on road trips the MT were not appreciated due to road noise, handling, and terrible gas mileage.

I have a lot more fun with ATs.
Unread 08-23-2013, 03:16 AM   #154
zjilla
Web Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I bought my Jeep for a daily driver and for fun. My Cooper AT3 are good for both. They can drive through 4" deep mud in 2wd (open diff) without spinning. I haven't yet found anything needing 4wd. Plenty good enough off road for an AT, excellent on road, and the gas mileage is pretty good.

Reasonably good gas mileage does add to the fun because I can drive it more.

I used to have an LJ. I had 33 x 11.5 MT on it. The gas mileage was so bad that it reduced the fun. I couldn't drive it as much as I wanted, and when I went on road trips the MT were not appreciated due to road noise, handling, and terrible gas mileage.

I have a lot more fun with ATs.
but Mts put the kids to sleep on long road trips....
good gas mileage is un-American. thats a whole nother controversy

it is what it is. I guess im just flaming bc ive ran BFGsATs Cooper discoverys, FS destinations and wasnt too impressed. but if you like them them thats on you.
Unread 08-23-2013, 06:36 AM   #155
WXman
Web Wheeler
2001 WJ 

There is ONE terrain where a MT tire is better. Mud.

In EVERY other terrain, an AT tire is better. That's a proven, documented fact. They are safer on the road in every weather condition. They are better in the rocks because they lay down a larger contact patch. They are better in sand because they don't bury themselves. They are quieter. They are cheaper. They last longer. They save fuel and reduce the environmental impact. They are simply better. At everything. Except mud.
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2013, 11:18 AM   #156
zjilla
Web Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

rocks? air down a BFG AT and tell me it grabs better than an MT or creepy crawler or pitbull rocker or irok. i definitely disagree with that statement. but then again lets get back to topic....all terrains. All i can suggest to the OP is not nittos bc the rubber is way to soft and they wear quik.
Unread 08-23-2013, 01:35 PM   #157
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
but Mts put the kids to sleep on long road trips....
good gas mileage is un-American. thats a whole nother controversy
Americans are a variety of people. We don't fit one stereotype.

Quote:
I guess im just flaming bc ive ran BFGsATs Cooper discoverys, FS destinations and wasnt too impressed. but if you like them them thats on you.
You're polite. So you're not flaming. We just have a difference of opinion. I appreciate the way you've been expressing yourself. I think you are making a valuable contribution by raising some issues for discussion. You don't like the old generation ATs (neither do I), but I like the new generation ATs because they are way better.

For what it's worth, I have owned BFG AT and the old Cooper Discovery. I was not impressed with either on mud. So I hear you, and I share your frustrations with those old generation ATs. That's why I tried MTs for a while, but MTs had their own issues on road and on ice.

The important message that I've tried to convey in this thread, which I think you missed, is that new generation of ATs perform better than anything before. The Cooper AT3, Hercules AT2, Hankook ATM, Toyo AT2, and possibly some others give better on and off road performance than any ATs did 4 years ago. If you haven't tried a latest generation ATs that came out in last 3 years, then you're thinking of the old versions. The new versions do what ATs used to do, and now also do some of what you'd expect from a highway tire and an MT.

My Cooper AT3 handle mud so well it's amazing. They are quiet and soft riding on highway like a highway tire.

Don't judge the latest generation ATs by the past. These new generation are new animals.
Unread 08-23-2013, 01:43 PM   #158
redcard
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
Yeah, people never bother to research, and they ask the same questions over and over and over....and that's why this was a colossal waste of your time, Charley3. Because no one searches, they'll never see this thread either, and the repeat threads will continue to come. That's why I just copy and paste a standard response, and if the OP is genuinely interested in learning more, I THEN respond to specific questions.
I cruised the forums and search out everything I could on the Honda VTX 1800 a few years back. I asked hardly a thing and now have myself a self-built bad-*** street bike.

Now I'm starting the same process on a newly acquired bone-stock 2008 Jeep Wrangler X. It'll take a while to build, but I'll have myself bad-*** Jeep one day too. My own research. My own wrenches.

Sorry to blow your theory.

Hey, why can't I say ***? ....Damn
redcard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2013, 01:46 PM   #159
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Yep. People do keep finding this thread.
Unread 08-26-2013, 08:07 AM   #160
tonmilv

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonmilv View Post
what do you guys think of this tires.

Road Venture SAT KL61

Falken Rocky Mountain ATS

Falken Wild Peak AT

thank you,
I got the Falken Wild peak AT, and so far great tires, very quite tires. handles great in the rain. i still need to try in the snow. but I like this tires so far.
tonmilv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2013, 11:50 PM   #161
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I may have found a tire I like even better than Cooper AT3.

Hercules AT2 is almost the same tire, but with more sipes, which would be even better on Winter roads.

However, the Cooper AT3 has slightly larger voids. So might be the better tire in mud.

I'm splitting hairs though. Both great tires and very similar. (Cooper makes Hercules tires)
Unread 08-28-2013, 07:23 AM   #162
WXman
Web Wheeler
2001 WJ 

Quote:
I may have found a tire I like even better than Cooper AT3.

Hercules AT2 is almost the same tire, but with more sipes, which would be even better on Winter roads.

However, the Cooper AT3 has slightly larger voids. So might be the better tire in mud.

I'm splitting hairs though. Both great tires and very similar. (Cooper makes Hercules tires)
I picked up a Hercules in the P265/70-17 version for a full size spare yesterday. It impressed me greatly when I saw it. The tread is much wider than most 265s at 8.75" and it measures about .25" taller than most also. Silica based rubber compound, tons of sipes, made in USA, great price. How can you go wrong?

This is my new tire of choice for my DD/weekend warrior.
imag1686.jpg   imag1687.jpg  
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2013, 12:53 PM   #163
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

That is a beautiful tire. I've got tire envy.

Your photos are better than the photos at Hercules website.

I take back what I said about void size. Looks like same void sizes as Cooper AT3. So should be similarly good in mud. The Herc AT2 has a more aggressive sidewall tread - so might be better in mud than Copper AT3. Wow!

The Hercules AT2 has more sipes and edges (due to tread shapes), and same or similar silica in tread.

Otherwise a very similar tire as Cooper AT3. IMO

I like the Hercules AT2 better based on those differences. It's now my favorite AT.

I want some, but my Cooper AT3 will last many years. So maybe I need a second Jeep to try Hercules AT2? Muahahaha!

I love my Cooper AT3, but I'm sure the Hercules AT2 would be even better on packed snow and ice, probably better in mud, and probably equal on other terrains.

Please do some testing and report back, of possible.

I've heard that Hercules tires are a good price too.
Unread 08-29-2013, 03:39 PM   #164
silvanus
2006 LJ Wrangler 

There's an new Goodyear A/T tire called " Adventurer ", any real time reviews??

It looks a lot like their old 80's first Gen. 80's Wrangler.
silvanus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2013, 10:15 PM   #165
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvanus View Post
There's an new Goodyear A/T tire called " Adventurer ", any real time reviews??

It looks a lot like their old 80's first Gen. 80's Wrangler.
I'm not familiar with it. Hopefully someone else will post a review.

Could you post a pic of it here?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.