Not your average "Who makes the best AT?" thread. This is an above average one! - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Not your average "Who makes the best AT?" thread. This is an above average one!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 07-30-2013, 02:23 PM   #136
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Good to hear from you Adragg. Thanks for your post.

Also, thanks to other posters, including those who don't like GY.

I wasn't trying to start anything, though I joked like I was. Really, I just wanted both sides of opinions about GY in the thread to balance things out.

Unread 08-04-2013, 08:22 PM   #137
AtomicDog
2004 TJ Wrangler 

My personal experience, fwiw, is that the Goodyear Silent Armor Prograde with Kevlar are fantastic overland tires. Never had a flat and never re-balanced them. Wore like iron on tough rocky trails. The absolute worst tires I've ever owned were Goodyear Wrangler TDs. I got 5k miles and a lot of flats out of them before throwing them away.
AtomicDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2013, 11:06 AM   #138
tonmilv

what do you guys think of this tires.

Road Venture SAT KL61

Falken Rocky Mountain ATS

Falken Wild Peak AT

thank you,
tonmilv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2013, 11:21 AM   #139
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonmilv View Post
Road Venture SAT KL61
Welcome to the thread. Good to have you here.

Road Venture SAT KL61 is the tire Mschi772 has and likes. It's also listed in the OP and ranked among the best ATs. Please read OP carefully and you'll find it there. It was discussed plenty throughout the thread too.

It is a good tire, and a low price, so it's a great value. For more info, please read the thread. I don't intend to sound rude, but I can't type nearly as much here as has already been said earlier in thread about it.

===

I don't know about the Falken tires you asked about. Please read earlier in this thread in case someone else already posted about them. I can't remember for sure, but I think maybe they were discussed a little earlier in thread.
Unread 08-08-2013, 11:42 AM   #140
tonmilv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
Welcome to the thread. Good to have you here.

Road Venture SAT KL61 is the tire Mschi772 has and likes. It's also listed in the OP and ranked among the best ATs. Please read OP carefully and you'll find it there. It was discussed plenty throughout the thread too.

It is a good tire, and a low price, so it's a great value. For more info, read the thread. I don't intend to sound rude, but I can't type nearly as much here as has already been said earlier in thread about it.

===

I don't know about the Falken tires you asked about. Please read earlier in this thread in case someone else already posted about them. I can't remember for sure, but I think maybe they were discussed a little earlier in thread.
no problem, I went back the thread and found more info about SAT LK61, thanks for your help.
tonmilv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2013, 12:06 PM   #141
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonmilv

Road Venture SAT KL61

Falken Wild Peak AT

thank you,
Those two Falkens are the same tire. The name is just changed depending on merchant. Despite how similar the Falkens appear to the Kumhos, they're rather inferior in my opinion. The Falkens do have pretty strong sidewalls, but other than that, they're significantly heavier if memory serves, and they're made of an inferior compound that simply lacks traction in numerous situations compared to the Kumhos.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2013, 06:14 PM   #142
WXman
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonmilv View Post

Road Venture SAT KL61

Falken Wild Peak AT

thank you,

A quick search turned up this thread from just last week:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f15/h...peaks-1248822/
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2013, 01:55 PM   #143
Tailwheel42
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I have to give a thumbs up to Cooper Discoverer AT3's. Especially if you do a lot of highway driving. I have a set of 31's and they provide excellent traction and are actually quieter then the stock pizza cutters that came with my TJ.
Tailwheel42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2013, 06:00 PM   #144
HCallahan
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I don't have Cooper's now but have run them in the past and my father still uses them on a Tacoma 4x4. I always found them to good values and often overlooked.
HCallahan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2013, 07:38 PM   #145
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCallahan View Post
I don't have Cooper's now but have run them in the past and my father still uses them on a Tacoma 4x4. I always found them to good values and often overlooked.
That's always been true of Cooper tires, but the Cooper AT3 are even better than that. They are the bomb diggity do das of all the ATs of any brand that I've ever owned (including prior Coopers). The AT3 is the super dooper pooper scooper of ATs, IMO.

A few other brands of the best ATs are also great, but for the money the Cooper AT3 can't be beat. IMO

It's a great performer and a great value.

That is basically what you said, but the AT3 deserved more enthusiasm!

Yaaaa! Hooah! Yippe Kay Yay! Whoohoo!
Unread 08-14-2013, 05:30 AM   #146
WXman
2001 WJ 

Yes, and, a lot of people don't realize that most of the tires you see in the tire shops are made by Cooper. Hercules, Mickey Thompson, Mastercraft, many Big-O tires, Kenda, Dick Cepek, and some others are all produced by Cooper. Cooper also makes OEM tires for manufacturers. Up until last year, Cooper was the #2 American tire company behind Good-for-a-year. Now, Cooper has sold out to Apollo which is an Indian company...but their U.S. designs and products will still remain.

They are one of the best tires on the road and like has been said, they are often overlooked.
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2013, 11:29 AM   #147
11B-33T
Grumpy vet

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WXman View Post
Yes, and, a lot of people don't realize that most of the tires you see in the tire shops are made by Cooper. Hercules, Mickey Thompson, Mastercraft, many Big-O tires, Kenda, Dick Cepek, and some others are all produced by Cooper. Cooper also makes OEM tires for manufacturers. Up until last year, Cooper was the #2 American tire company behind Good-for-a-year. Now, Cooper has sold out to Apollo which is an Indian company...but their U.S. designs and products will still remain.

They are one of the best tires on the road and like has been said, they are often overlooked.
Hmmm, I specifically went with Coopers due to their being 'made in the USA' being one of the pro-vs-con highlights criteria on my list. If that changes I'll hate having to switch brands in my small attempt to keep money here at home.
11B-33T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2013, 01:21 PM   #148
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11B-33T View Post
Hmmm, I specifically went with Coopers due to their being 'made in the USA' being one of the pro-vs-con highlights criteria on my list. If that changes I'll hate having to switch brands in my small attempt to keep money here at home.
If Cooper was bought by an Indian company (I have not verified this), where will Cooper tires be made? Possibly still made in USA. Maybe not. I don't know.

BFG is owned by Michelin (French) and BFG AT made in China now.

So it sounds like Goodyear Silent Armor for you in future. What other ATs are made in USA?
Unread 08-21-2013, 01:47 PM   #149
zjilla
Web Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Sometimes you hafta think who the "consumers" are and what they actually do with thier ATs. And the all the lobbyist that are promoting these products to companies...... consumer rating...nah.

If your looking for a tire that gets 40-60k miles...i wouldnt even go offroad with it. What are we driving? Honda civics?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using JeepForum
www.annirlane.blogspot.com
October 2013 JK of the month
My Slowly but surely JK build thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/s...hread-1562595/
zjilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 01:46 PM   #150
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjilla View Post
Sometimes you hafta think who the "consumers" are and what they actually do with thier ATs. And the all the lobbyist that are promoting these products to companies...... consumer rating...nah.

If your looking for a tire that gets 40-60k miles...i wouldnt even go offroad with it. What are we driving? Honda civics?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using JeepForum
What are you talking about?

Cooper AT3 has a 55,000 mile tread warranty.

Hankook ATM has a 50,000 mile tread warranty.

Several other good ATs have 50,000 to 55,000 mile tread warranties.

I don't know what warranty BFG AT has, but it typically lasts at least 50,000 miles. Usually longer.

I think most ATs last at least 50,000 miles these days.

I used a set of All Season load C tires on an XJ for 55,000 miles before they wore out, and I off roaded them often.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.