Not so technical tire question "Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac" - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Not so technical tire question "Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac"

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 11-21-2009, 03:15 PM   #1
HKB3
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Not so technical tire question "Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac"

Looking at new tires for my 2005 TJ, it is my daily driver so tire noise is a concern to me since I drive about 30-40 miles a day @70mph

I have been eying the new Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac in 31/10.50 /15 mounted on 15"x8" soft8`s.
I have rode in a few different trucks & Jeeps with Goodyear MTR`s and they are too loud for me for a daily driver, so my question is are the new Dura Tracs quieter then the MTR?
Sorry for the rambling
Thanks

Unread 11-21-2009, 04:04 PM   #2
all3forus
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have the Dura Trac's on my TJ...The size I'm running is 33x12.50x15...They are very quiet for the type of tire...If you look in the tire section you will find a few write ups with pic's...
all3forus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2009, 04:09 PM   #3
CadyRyan86
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I just got this tire in a 33x12.5x15 and i love it. looks good, performs good, and it is quite, i had 31" procomps A/T's before these and they made more noise, i say go for the GY dura Trac
CadyRyan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2009, 03:51 PM   #4
HKB3
2005 TJ Wrangler 

anyone else?
Thanks
Unread 11-22-2009, 03:53 PM   #5
JeSimmers
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I know you did not mention the New mtr w/kevlar tires, but they are SO quiet its unbelievable. So I am sure the DuraTracs would be super quiet.
Red Jeep Club Member #454
JeSimmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2009, 04:05 PM   #6
den1845
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I have a set of 31's on my 02 TJ...very nice tire and very quiet. You will love them!!
den1845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2009, 10:51 PM   #7
Mike in IL
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'v had the Duratracs in 31x10.5x15 on our TJ for about a month and a half now. They are a nice tire. First of Nov went to a Mud Fest. I was able to go everywhere a 31" Mud Tire Jeep went with no problems. On the road they are quiet, just a very very very faint hum, you may not even notice it. On the highway they ride smooth. They appear to be between a A/T and M/T type tire. When we had 3 days of rain, roads were flooded here. Driving through some large spots of water, the jeep went right on through, no movement of the steering wheel, no pulling or such. It was like the water wasn't there. My daughter commented on this to me, as she drove it home after getting the tires mounted. I noticed it later. I don't know how they are going to wear. Guess I'll find out later, ha....
Mike in IL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2010, 11:11 AM   #8
Scoundrel70
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I'll pitch in...

3800km on my 285-75/16's and they are wearing great, considerably quieter than my old 245-75-16 MTRs, and fantastic rain, freezing rain, and wet, sloppy snow traction. Dry traction is great, no squirming or anything that sometimes gets mentioned. I haven't done anything but some trail riding on round rock and sand wash to say how durable these are going to be off road, but they so far still look like new. Going through beaver pond wash-outs with black muck bottom has been no problem either. I will admit I had some reservations on them initially, but those are gone now. Snow is here, though no big dumps yet or very cold conditions, but they have taken everything so far and surpassed my expectations. 3ply sidewall/load range E is a bit much for an LJ Rubicon, but I don't find the ride markedly different than my stock setup. These do NOT track in cracks, ruts, etc on pavement, and as mentioned, hitting water isn't as adventurous. One thing I've noted is with the MTR's, I used to get as much water going up and forward as I would to the side. The Duratracs seem to throw the water out the sides way more than up or forward, though this could be an apples and oranges comparison since the sizes are different as well.

2 cents in, before tax.
Scoundrel70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2011, 12:29 PM   #9
puddlepirateXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

i have 31x10.5x15 goodyear wrangler duratracs on my 96 XJ and i have had then on my jeep for a year and a half now. and just the other day i was comparing my BRAND NEW spare duratrac to the worn tires on the jeep and there is still appx. 65-70% tread left. i do wheel my jeep about 2 weekends out of the month. and i do take it to UWharrie. the tires do GREAT! i absolutely love these tires and would never trade them for anything else. and they are very very quiet on the road! i love it!
puddlepirateXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2011, 01:04 PM   #10
jeepyj13
1993 YJ Wrangler 

ima go on a throw my hat in the ring on these tires. i have the 33x12.50 r15 duratracs on my yj. excellent tire. for the aggressive tread they are very quiet but they do have a very very slight hum but i like it. makes you knw you still have a aggressive tire under there. i have them on for about 2 months with about 1500 miles on them making 70 mile round trips everywk. barely worn down they still look brand new. now to offroad traction. i take my jeep through some mud every once and a while. no need to use 4wd now they pull through the mud great in 2wd and clean great too. i climb wet hills with my jeep sometimes and once again 2 wheel squill all the way. i recommended them to a friend with a yj too when his bfg a/ts wore to the core and he bought the duratracs and loves them too. and their also light for their size a 33 inch tire only weighs 48lbs so if you run that d35 rear like i do they put less strain on the little axle.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.