Newbie needing advise on tires and adapters - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Newbie needing advise on tires and adapters

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-08-2013, 07:10 AM   #1
Ryder976
2013 JK Wrangler 

Newbie needing advise on tires and adapters

Just bought my first not to long ago and its a 2013 wrangler sport and i am ready to do some up grades! I am looking at a set of 33/12.5/17 nitto mud graplers on 17x9 moto metal wheels with a -18 back space. Theses wheels came off a tj so i need adaptors to go from 5x4.5-5x5? And also once i put those adapters on will those tires stick out to far and will those tires rub on anything i know you can run 33's with no problems. But will i have any issues with these sizes if i dont have a lift?

Ryder976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 10:54 AM   #2
WXman
2001 WJ 

The backspace is going to be 4.25 on those wheels. So using adapters that are 1.25" thick is going to give you an effective backspace of 3.00". It's going to look ridiculous and be dangerous as well as hard to align properly. You may also have serious rubbing issues.

I'd strongly recommend buying proper wheels for a JK. I'm a big fan of 15s for multiple reasons, but if you go with 17s try to find some tires that are lightweight if you can.
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 01:08 PM   #3
Ryder976
2013 JK Wrangler 

Awsome thanks for the feed back i was going to go buy those wheels tonight so i was hoping someone would get back to me
Ryder976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 09:42 PM   #4
Spud100
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'm with you on 15s. IMO jeeps were made for 15s and getting the size from the tires you put on it. I don't agree about tires sticking out being dangerous. Perhaps for others, but I feel very safe with tires sticking out. In fact other drivers make sure they allow plenty of space as they go around me. No sports cars or crotch rockets risk cutting in too close.
Spud100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.