New Wheel Advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > New Wheel Advice

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 12-01-2010, 10:47 PM   #1
WEPIII
2002 TJ Wrangler 

New Wheel Advice

I am getting some new shoes on my Jeep. BFG AT's, 31s. I am still running stock wheels as of right now, but I would like to upgrade to something a bit different.
I see tons of white Jeeps (like mine) with black wheels, but I am also looking at some Mickey T Classic Alloy wheels.
I am mainly a highway driver as my Jeep is a DD, but I do want it to look good.
I would love some input from you all to see what you think about either black wheels, or an alloy wheel.

Any input would be greatly appreciated (even if this has been answered 1,000,000,000 times).

WEPIII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2010, 06:51 AM   #2
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Alloys are the way to go. You want 15x8's with about 4" backspacing (+/- 1/2") for 31x10.50's. Stylewise, its all about personal choice. Get what you like. Screw the rest.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2010, 12:07 PM   #3
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

These are cool and different than the norm. Ultra Nomads.

http://www.ultrawheel.com/pdf/rims/1...0Cut%20RWD.pdf

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003

www.norcal-jeeps.com
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2010, 12:29 PM   #4
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technohead View Post
Alloys are the way to go. You want 15x8's with about 4" backspacing (+/- 1/2") for 31x10.50's. Stylewise, its all about personal choice. Get what you like. Screw the rest.
this about sums it up. only you can choose what style you like
Unread 12-02-2010, 12:39 PM   #5
merckx9
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I have a white Jeep with black Cragar Soft 8 steelies and black stainless Kentrol hinges. I also run BFG ATs. I like the way it looks and drives and get lots of compliments on it. I appreciate the compliments, but I am too old to really care what other people think.
Unread 12-02-2010, 04:47 PM   #6
linusb
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I debated long about whether to get black or shiny. I was set on shiny when ordering and changed my mind and went black. When they showed up and I first put them on my Jeep, I thought I had made a mistake and was thinking that the shiny was a better look. After a day I really warmed up to the black and think my Jeep looks much better with them. I think in either case your Jeep will look great though. Just don't get any wheels with some frilly styling.
1994 YJ Wrangler, 4.0, AX15, NP231, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s, 4" RC lift, 1" lift Boom Shackles, 1" BL, 4.10 gears, 8.8 LSD in rear and D30 Aussie Locker in front, on-board air conversion, Ramsey RE8000 winch.
linusb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2010, 04:54 PM   #7
WEPIII
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Any chance ya'll could throw some pics of your rides with different types or wheels on here? My Jeep is white, so I would like to get a better feel what it would look like with different stuff on it. I did a Google search, and not too much came up...guess I was too specific.
Thanks
Unread 12-02-2010, 04:56 PM   #8
WEPIII
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by linusb View Post
I debated long about whether to get black or shiny. I was set on shiny when ordering and changed my mind and went black. When they showed up and I first put them on my Jeep, I thought I had made a mistake and was thinking that the shiny was a better look. After a day I really warmed up to the black and think my Jeep looks much better with them. I think in either case your Jeep will look great though. Just don't get any wheels with some frilly styling.
Hahaha, no frilly stuff for me. I want black, and would almost prefer to do a flat silver as opposed to a chrome or shiney wheel.
Unread 12-02-2010, 05:05 PM   #9
ajf1994
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I vote repaint them.

Here's mine.

If you want to read the thread, go here.
[URL="http://stu-offroad.com/support.htm"][COLOR="Blue"]I Supported Stu![/COLOR][/URL][/B]
High School Jeepers #361
Parrothead Jeep Club #46
37,xxx Miles[/SIZE]
[QUOTE=XJ-Tim;12621151][SIZE="1"]my welds look like popcorn with sprinkles.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Benjamin Franklin][SIZE="1"]Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]
ajf1994 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2010, 05:52 PM   #10
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEPIII View Post
Any chance ya'll could throw some pics of your rides with different types or wheels on here? My Jeep is white, so I would like to get a better feel what it would look like with different stuff on it. I did a Google search, and not too much came up...guess I was too specific.
Thanks
I believe tirerack.com has a little tool that lets you visualize different tires/wheels on your vehicle. But remember, we are talking about Jeeps, not jewelry. If you don't have some gouges in your wheels the you are just a ghey mall crawler.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2010, 06:19 PM   #11
linusb
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Here's a before (shiny/32" tires) and after (black/35" tires):

1994 YJ Wrangler, 4.0, AX15, NP231, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s, 4" RC lift, 1" lift Boom Shackles, 1" BL, 4.10 gears, 8.8 LSD in rear and D30 Aussie Locker in front, on-board air conversion, Ramsey RE8000 winch.
linusb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.