new tires? Where to put (2) new tires, front or rear? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > new tires? Where to put (2) new tires, front or rear?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 10-19-2011, 09:10 PM   #1
JPetru82

2001 TJ Wrangler 

new tires? Where to put (2) new tires, front or rear?

not sure if this is where I should be posting this, but it seems like a good place for it. I have an '01 wrangler, and I kind of messed up. When I bought my lift kit, I bought four new tires, plus a full size spare. The part where I've messed up is that I've never rotated my tires. I know, that's my bad. Well, now the front two tires are pretty worn, and should be replaced soon. Do you think I should move the rear tires forward, and put the new ones on the rear? or buy one new tire, and put that one and my full size spare in the rear, and then move those forward, and keep one of the worn tires for a spare?
Thanks in advance!!!

JPetru82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2011, 05:23 AM   #2
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I'm guessing you are happy with the type of tire you have now and will be buying the same tire again. You don't say how much wear you have on the rear tires.

I would most likely buy three new tires, this plus the unused spare gives you a full set of new tires. Keep the best "old" tire for the spare.
Unread 10-20-2011, 12:07 PM   #3
BlackBellamy
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Whatever you do from now on make sure you do a five-wheel rotation. This way your spare will never be the odd tire out.

Use the Rearward Cross method.
The top and doors on this vehicle are designed only for protection against the elements. Do not rely on the top and doors to contain occupants within the vehicle or to protect against injury during an accident. Wear seatbelts at all times.
BlackBellamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2011, 08:23 PM   #4
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

When I wore out the front tires on my XJ, I bought two new ones, moved the rears to the front and put the new ones in the back. After this, start rotating better.
Unread 10-21-2011, 11:53 AM   #5
terpsmandan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

If you are only swapping two tires, put the ones with more tread on the back. Reason why is because if it is slick, it is easier to control if the front end starts to slide before the back.
terpsmandan is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.