New tires & rims for my 2000 TJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > New tires & rims for my 2000 TJ

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 02-01-2012, 01:46 PM   #1
solgirl
2000 TJ Wrangler 

New tires & rims for my 2000 TJ

I have a 2000 TJ and need new rims and tires. I have only owned my TJ since April 2011, but I believe the rims are stock 15" rims. I am trying to decide between 15 or 16 rims. I definitely want to go with black rims.

I also am not too sure what size tires I should get but am leaning toward the BFG all terrains. I primarily need quiet tires as I do a lot of highway and city driving, and any type of off roading only happens a handful of times in the summer. No rock climbing here...yet anyway. I've read a lot of posts saying 31 is the biggest tire size recommended for the TJ. Just would like some advice and feedback from others for a simple purchase of new tires and rims. Thank you in advance!

solgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2012, 02:44 AM   #2
tjtrucker
2000 TJ Wrangler 

There's a benefit to staying with 15x8" wheels, the cost for wheels and the tires to fit them is much cheaper than going with rims 16" and up. and the backspacing for the 15x8 rim is usually better suited for TJs. all tires are different in actual size, you just need to check sites like tirerack.com for the tire you like and check the specs that will show you the actual sizes. 31x10.50x15 is the biggest you should go with out doing a lift. I just recently got new wheels and tires after about 2 years of figuring out what I wanted and what would work, and what I could afford. I went with Dick Cepek DC2 15x8" wheels with 3.65" backspacing and GoodYear Duratrac tires they are all terrains too, they are soo much better than the BFG T/A KOs (all terrains) that I had on my 2000 TJ, when I bought it. the Duratracs are quiet and smooth on the road, great when driving in rain and snow. They're awesome off road in mud, sifty sand, wooded trails, and they look aggressive. I installed a 2.25" Skyjacker Budget boost Lift kit, it came with the Hydro shocks for $229. and I ordered 33x12.50x15s, they actually measured 32" tall by 11.50" wide on a 15x8" rim. ask about the Duratracs, there are alot of people here and wrangler forum that have them and really like them too. I hope that helps. here's mine, in the first pic I had just finshed painting my fenders and such gloss black.
004avatar.jpg   003-copy.jpg  
tjtrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2012, 06:57 AM   #3
Photog2000
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have always been a die hard BFG fan. In fact I am running them on my jeep right now. As of yesterday I am considering other brands. BFG seems to think that the Harley Davidson production theory of "keep them on a waiting list" is the way to MFG tires as well. I had a hard time getting 2 new ones last year. Now this year I need to replace the other 2 and guess what.....National Back order AGAIN!!!!!!!

I have no idea what brand to recommend because I love my KM2's so much that I too have no idea what to do. This post does nothing to make your decision. Just be warned that BFG tires are hard to get at times.
Photog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2012, 08:46 AM   #4
solgirl
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks!

Thank you both for the advice. I still have not made my decision, but will keep this information in mind. TJtrucker, thanks for posting the pictures. Looks great! I am about to paint my fenders, etc. with gloss black this weekend. Any tips for this on products, etc?
solgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2012, 04:12 AM   #5
tjtrucker
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Krylon Fusion for plastic it works very well and the nozzle is adjustable, if the jeep is clean before you start, wipe the fenders and such down with a wet wash cloth just to get the dust off, let dry, tape/mask and paint. first time I did it (2 years ago) I scuffed the fenders with a scotch brite pad, then wiped down the fenders, but this new paint says "no prep" is needed, So I tried it this time with out scuffing and it has worked very well! you can paint anything on your jeep with this paint, it works very well on metal too. Have fun, post pics afterwards.
tjtrucker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2000 , rims , tires , tj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.