New Tires - Analysis Paralysis - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > New Tires - Analysis Paralysis

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 09-28-2012, 11:25 AM   #1
Newb99
2005 TJ Wrangler 

New Tires - Analysis Paralysis

It's time for a new set of wheels for my '05 Rubicon and I must admit with the amount brands and types of tires out there it's a bit overwhelming. This is the first set I'm purchasing for myself. The tires that came with the it are Goodyear M/TR LT245/75R16 120/116P. I guessing they don't make this model anymore because any site that has them says there out of stock. I'd like to get something as close to ones that I have on now because they're treated me pretty well on the beach and in the dessert. So I was looking at these as replacements:

Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor On-/Off-Road All-Terrain
Size: 245/75R16
Sidewall Style: Outlined White Letters
Serv. Desc: 109T
UTQG: 520 A B
Price: $173.00 (each)

Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac On-/Off-Road Commercial Traction
Serv. Desc: 120/116Q
Load Range: E
UTQG: None
Price: $200.00 (each)

BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO On-/Off-Road All-Terrain
Sidewall Style: Raised White Letters
Serv. Desc: 120/116S
Load Range: E
Price: $197.00 (each)

Firestone Destination A/T On-/Off-Road All-Terrain
Serv. Desc: 108/104R
Load Range: C
Price: $166.00 (each) Closeout

I mostly drive surface streets and highways, offroad in sand and the dessert and rocky trails, no snow, and no mudding.

Should I go to Sears Auto or Firestone or buy online and have my mechanic put them on? I don't see a lot people around here recommending Goodyear, any reason?

To me it's starting to sound like 6 of one and half a dozen of another. I'm hoping that the wisely sages here could throw in their two cents and school a newb.

Last edited by Newb99; 09-28-2012 at 11:33 AM.. Reason: poor grammer
Newb99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2012, 11:34 AM   #2
WXman
2001 WJ 

You said you want tires close to what you've got now, but then you listed a bunch of tires that are totally different.

If you want something just like what's on your Rubi, look at the Kanati Mud Hog or the Treadwright Guard Dog. Both of those tires have almost identical tread patterns to your current MTRs.

Of the ones you listed, the Duratrac is probably the best bet for dual use.
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2012, 11:58 AM   #3
Newb99
2005 TJ Wrangler 

My understanding is that the MT/R stands for Maxium Traction / Re-enforced,

Could you elaborate a bit on the differences in the ones I picked out above to the ones on now? I assumed these where a type of all terrain hence while I was looking at the ones I was. I wear my newbness on my sleeve...

Last edited by Newb99; 09-28-2012 at 11:58 AM.. Reason: bad grammer
Newb99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2012, 05:29 PM   #4
YJPete
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newb99
My understanding is that the MT/R stands for Maxium Traction / Re-enforced,

Could you elaborate a bit on the differences in the ones I picked out above to the ones on now? I assumed these where a type of all terrain hence while I was looking at the ones I was. I wear my newbness on my sleeve...
It does stand for Maximum Traction/Reinforced, you're right. I actually just mounted a set of the new ones with kevlar today. All the tires you listed are all terrains, and the MT/R, while not as aggressive as most, is still sold as a mud terrain tire. For all intents and purposes though, it acts like a cross between AT and MT.

As far as differences goes, I don't know a lot about that Firestone, so I can't comment there, but I know a bit about the others. The SilentArmors are technically all terrains, but they act more like a street tire. They don't perform great off road, but their on road manners are the best of anything you've listed. They'll still do alright on the trail, just don't expect to be gripping onto anything wet or slippery. I had them on my Isuzu Trooper, and I was satisfied with how they did. The Duratracs are really nice tires. They handle wet roads just as well as they handle mud pits, and they're pretty decent in the snow too. The only downside is that a lot of guys tear the sidewalls off road. Not the strongest. The BFG AT is the basis for most all terrains on the market today, and a lot of people swear by them. Can't go wrong with the original. I've never run them personally, but I've heard a lot of success stories. Personally, I'd rather run new technology than old, but that's just me.

Hope that helped, let me know if you need more information or clarification anywhere. The reviews section on here might help you out too.
2.5" on the suspension, 1" on the shackles, 2" on the body, 4.88 Superior Gears, 35" Goodyear MT/R with Kevlar, MSD-6 Offroad ignition box, Flowmaster Exhaust, Warn 9.5Ti Winch, Detroit Tru-Trac Front, Detroit Locker Back
YJPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2012, 07:52 PM   #5
BowHunter70
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I like this article http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticl..._tires_tested/
I have been using the Goodyear Silent Armor for several years on my Suburban K2500 and it has served me well in rain and snow, long tread life and under heavy load of my horse trailer. Off road, dirt trails type, it is OK but not my first pick. My Toyota Tacoma has the BFG rugged trail. Not good. poor traction off road on anything more than a dirt path or logging road (just my experience as different drivers may have different methods) On my YJ I am running the BFG At/TA/KO and so forth. I love this tire. I have had several different sizes on two different vehicles and they have never let me down. I use them on and off road, in the snow and time to time the mud. Mud performance is lackluster but it gets me through. My YJ us my DD so I wanted a tire which would take me to work and down the Rubicon Trail. For street i run about 30 psi to limit the kidney punches and on the trail i run about 12 to 15 psi and get excellent traction. With that said, there are better tires that are more task specific but for an all around get it done well tire i think the BFG AT is hard to beat.
Also, the Dura-trac is a great tire and my buddy has a set on his FJ. He does not crawl but does use it for hunting and snow runs. He loves the tire and they don't scream down the road. I would like something with more sidewall bite but that's because I like to crawl.

My Jeep: 1992 Wrangler YJ, OME, 2"Body, SYE, ARB Front W/Smittybilt 8000, 33x12.50x15 BFG AT/TA/KO laced onto some Black Steelies. D44 /4.56 ChroMo shafts & ARB locked. D30 / 4.56 ChroMo 1pc ChroMo shafts & ARB locked. Next up is the, B&M Shifter, and whatever else I can think of...
BowHunter70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.