New tire turmoil - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > New tire turmoil

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 04-14-2014, 10:09 PM   #1
TruckGotStuck
1999 TJ Wrangler 

New tire turmoil

I have been doing a lot of research and have still 2 questions. I don't think I have psted here before, so I hope you guys can help me out!

I am looking at a couple of different tire sizes for my jeep. 99 TJ 4.0 with a true trac in the rear and a 5 speed (I know, not a JK) with a 2" BB lift. I am leaning towards a tall skinny setup so that leaves me with 31x10.5r15, or 245/75r16 or (if I can get them) 235/85r16. I tihnk my max height is aobut 32" and the 235/85 comes in at 31.7 with a 9.4" width, the 245 is a bit fatter and 30.7" tall, and the 15 is in between.
2 Questions
What are your thoughts on load range? the p-metrics are "E"s while the 31x10.5s are "C"s.
What are your thoughts on my size choice? My logic is that narrower will give me better bite with more pressure on the ground, and petter clearance stop to stop, and I want as much height as I can get with links disconnected. I am fine with chopping fenders, but no budget for more lift right now. Can I / should I look at a different size?
Thanks Guys!

TruckGotStuck

TruckGotStuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2014, 10:42 PM   #2
RBxj
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I'm running 285/75/16 on my 06 LJ with 1.5 " pucks. Slight rubbing at full lock but flexes well with no rubbing. I'll fix the rubbing with adjustment on the turn stops.
Unread 04-14-2014, 11:46 PM   #3
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The C Load Range tire is appropriate for the TJ, the E is not... it's too stiff because it's designed for a significantly heavier vehicle.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2014, 05:00 AM   #4
Muddeprived

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
The C Load Range tire is appropriate for the TJ, the E is not... it's too stiff because it's designed for a significantly heavier vehicle.
This.

I ran E's before and damn it was stiff. Switch to treadwrights with load range C (265/75/16's)and it's quite lovely now.
Flux Capacitor Heat Machine
Muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2014, 05:55 AM   #5
WXman
2001 WJ 

To keep kicking the dead horse... E is overkill on a Jeep. A set of E rated tires will typically hold up to 12,000 lbs. Your Jeep is what, 3,500 lbs? Overkill and it'll beat your kidneys to death on a vehicle with poor ride quality to begin with. Stay with P or C load rating only.
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2014, 12:47 PM   #6
strvger01
1966 CJ5 

i ran a set of these for over 5 years and 50k miles: https://www.treadwright.com/individu...235-85R16.00-E
they are E rated and i ran them on both my little Geo Tracker and small Ford Ranger pu. rough ride... no! i didn't air them up to any where near the max pressure. i aired them up to the load they carried. for the Tracker it was 20psi on the road and 5psi on the trails. on the Ranger, it was 25psi on the road and 10psi on the trails. and i had tubes in them when mounted. both of those vehicles were daily drivers as well as trail rigs and each had several 1600 mile road trips on those tires, too.
i had no issues on the roads at all. not squirrely in the turns, not bumpy, none of the problems others have stated. just match the tire pressure with the load being carried.
i plan on getting another set for my '66 waggy this summer.
Unread 04-15-2014, 03:05 PM   #7
John82601
1995 YJ Wrangler 

We run the Treadwrights in a L.R. E on our company trucks and service vans and, as stated above, the trick to making them ride nice is only inflating them to the pressure they need, not what they're rated for. Our trucks cover a LOT of highway miles but on the job sites we were puncturing tires (P and C rated) far too often. We switched to the E range tires not because of the weight of our trucks but because we wanted the puncture resistance of a tire designed for a heavier vehicle. Sometimes overkill is a good thing.

Back to the O.P.'s post, if you want to go uber narrow in a 31" tire, look at a 215/85/16 (31" tall). It's a size seen more on expedition type vehicles because it's considered too narrow by most of us. My coworker has a TJ with a 2" lift and is running 265/75/16's (L.R. E by the way) and he doesn't have any rubbing issues so either the 245/75 or 235/85 should fit with no problems. And I wouldn't recommend a P rated tire for any vehicle that you ever plan to leave the pavement with.
John82601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2014, 11:01 PM   #8
trickydick
2005 TJ Wrangler 

There is an inbetween load rated tire that would be a bit better than P tires, they call them extra load tires, might just be the perfect thing for a jeep.(these are OE on 1/2ton suburbans)although the best you could probably get them in is a tame AT tire.
trickydick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2014, 11:13 PM   #9
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Load range C is the best choice IMO.

There are several good brands of 245/75R15 available in load C.

Duratrac, Cooper AT3, Mastercraft AXT, Hercules AT2, Multimile Wild Country XTX LT Sport are ones I know of. There may be others as well.

If Winter traction is important to you, look at Duratrac and Hercules AT2. Both are reputed to be good on snow and both are RMA/snowflake/mountain Winter rated. On ice the Hercules AT2 would be (IMO) the better choice for hard packed snow and ice because it has more sipes.

Of all the load C 245 tires I mentioned, Duratrac is the widest. So it you want a narrower 245, any of those other 245 are quite a bit narrower than Duratrac. Duratrac run wide for 245/75R16. I've seen that with my own eyes.
Unread 04-16-2014, 11:27 PM   #10
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickydick View Post
There is an inbetween load rated tire that would be a bit better than P tires, they call them extra load tires, might just be the perfect thing for a jeep.(these are OE on 1/2ton suburbans)although the best you could probably get them in is a tame AT tire.
That ^ sounds perfect for a Jeep.

Load C is some overkill if it's NOT a rock crawler, but I like some overkill. I like C.

My Jeep doesn't rock crawl, but I prefer load C tires because I like some overkill for trails. In 16 years buying load C, I've never gotten a flat with load C, and they ride much softer than D or E.

I used to get flats when I had P. I had a miserably rough ride when I had D. I like C. The "Extra Load" TrickyDick mentioned sound good too.

Besides load capacity, ride, and toughness, you should also consider tread depth.

C, D, & E usually have deeper tread than P.
Unread 04-17-2014, 05:02 AM   #11
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickydick View Post
XL rated P tires have reinforced shoulders (shoulders--not tread, not sidewall--shoulders). They can support higher pressure (thus slightly higher loads) and have better handling (nice for sports cars but irrelevant to Jeeps), but they have compromised ride quality compared to SL rated P tires. Never run the sidewall's max pressure unless you're supporting the max load of the tire; always use a tire pressure appropriate to the load the tire is supporting.

When it comes to supporting a load, Jeeps DO NOT need anything more than SL rated P or C rated LT. In almost all cases, a Jeep owner will exceed the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of the Jeep before they ever exceed the load rating of even SL or C rated tires**. Perhaps the Wrangler, being a body-on-frame vehicle, has a higher GVWR than I'm giving it credit for and could actually see loads reach a point of needing higher-rated tires, but considering how it is still a relatively small and lightweight SUV, I doubt it. I pretty much guarantee that any unibody Jeep will risk stuctural failure due to load long before the tires are at any risk.

Honestly, I'm not much of a supporter of using high load rated tires as a solution to off road toughness problems. The load rating of a radial tire does not necessarily mean that they have more plies like it used to with bias ply tires. An E-rated tire is regarded as equivalent to 10-ply, but that's no guarantee of actually being constructed as such. Higher load ratings sometimes do provide off road toughness benefits, but it's primarily a LOAD rating, not an off road rating; even if they are tougher in an individual case, you also get a heavier tire, a stiffer tire, and much worse ride quality. Personally, if I was ever in a situation where I was using a C-rated tire off road and was having toughness-related issues with it, I'd consider seeking a different, tougher C-rated tire a much more appropriate solution than using a higher load rating.

**I do not know how stuctural enhancements such as frame-stiffeners, off-road bumpers with strong tie-ins, etc affect the GVWR of a vehicle if they do at all. I wouldn't be surprised if they increase it some, but I don't know by how much if they even do at all. I don't think there is any way of ever knowing.
Unread 04-18-2014, 07:11 AM   #12
WXman
2001 WJ 

And for the record...almost all the time you can compare a LT C tire to the exact same tire in P and the P tire will have a higher load carrying capacity and equally strong construction. So the idea that LT C is somehow tougher than P is a myth.
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2014, 04:46 PM   #13
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WXman View Post
And for the record...almost all the time you can compare a LT C tire to the exact same tire in P and the P tire will have a higher load carrying capacity and equally strong construction. So the idea that LT C is somehow tougher than P is a myth.
Well, I consider "toughness" and "load capacity" two totally different things. I'm talking only about load and not toughness.

You're right and wrong in regards to load. When running a P-metric tire under an SUV or truck, the load rating must be reduced by 10%. LT-metric is designed with light trucks in mind, so their load rating is what it is under trucks. Derating P SL-rated tires by 10% usually brings them roughly equal to LT C-rated tires--sometimes more, sometimes less.

Where to draw the line between car and truck can get a little fuzzy, but it's mostly about weight and center of gravity. Wranglers, Grands, Liberties, XK's, and XJ's should probably all be considered "trucks" for the purposes of tire load ratings. I'd imagine MK's and maybe KL's can be considered "cars."
Unread 04-19-2014, 12:08 PM   #14
TruckGotStuck
1999 TJ Wrangler 

There seems to be huge debate on tire load ranges, but with lack of experience this is where I fall to you who have done it. I get the suspicion that runnig at b-pillar pressures on hiway is a lot better for ride, no matter what the tire rating. I know it won't be a super ride, but hopefully not a wagon. How low can you go with an E? Are they better or worse suited for low pressure and coming off the bead?

Jerry, Muddeprived and wxman - What pressures did you run at on / off road? WHat was ride comparison at max vs b-pillar pressure?

For winter I use p225/25r16 studded Firestone Winterforce and when I go offroading in the winter they are a blast, they stick to ice and chew like mad whewre they need to. Although only 29" tall, they do the job quite well off road and are super on the hiway.

I am looking for something agressive for summer, Hercules Trail Diggers have my interest. Here is a pic. http://image.fourwheeler.com/f/35841...ired_down_tire

Thanks!

TruckGotStuck
TruckGotStuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2014, 07:07 PM   #15
Muddeprived

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckGotStuck View Post
There seems to be huge debate on tire load ranges, but with lack of experience this is where I fall to you who have done it. I get the suspicion that runnig at b-pillar pressures on hiway is a lot better for ride, no matter what the tire rating. I know it won't be a super ride, but hopefully not a wagon. How low can you go with an E? Are they better or worse suited for low pressure and coming off the bead?

Jerry, Muddeprived and wxman - What pressures did you run at on / off road? WHat was ride comparison at max vs b-pillar pressure?

For winter I use p225/25r16 studded Firestone Winterforce and when I go offroading in the winter they are a blast, they stick to ice and chew like mad whewre they need to. Although only 29" tall, they do the job quite well off road and are super on the hiway.

I am looking for something agressive for summer, Hercules Trail Diggers have my interest. Here is a pic. http://image.fourwheeler.com/f/35841...ired_down_tire

Thanks!

TruckGotStuck
25-27 psi is what I use (25 summer, 27 winter). Size= 265-75-16. Near perfect wear on all four.
Flux Capacitor Heat Machine
Muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.