New Tire? Cooper S/T Maxx - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > New Tire? Cooper S/T Maxx

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 06-29-2011, 09:37 PM   #16
Happypappy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Fargo - You've been on here a long time as well as I have. About the only time you will hear about a mud tire being quiet is when one of the Skippys runs out, buys them, and drives them home and judges them on the ride home.......right before they get on the computer and tell the world how wonderful the tire is....with all of about 7 miles of experience with them. Hell, they all seem quiet when brand new! Mine were! I am thinking along the same lines as you are as far as hunting for a 255/85 to try. When you think about it the diameter is larger so the footprint of the tire in whatever media you are driving in may be comparable to the shorter fattter 285/75. Don't know that for a fact but am betting the rolling resistance of the 255 would be well worth exploring and I have little doubt as far as the overall capabilities of the Rubicon in making them work. Example - This evening a buddy and I put my Gheenoe in a lake for some fishing. Never had been in the lake and we had to back around 40 feet out into the lake to get into deep enough water to get the boat off the trailer. Not a problem pulling the load back out of the water when we returned. Fishing sucked (4 fish) but the Rubicon and the STTs performed as asked.

'06 Rubicon Unlimited
Happypappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2011, 02:34 AM   #17
tjjeepwrench978
1997 XJ Cherokee 

They wear very quickly ad does the firestone
tjjeepwrench978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2011, 10:20 AM   #18
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happypappy View Post
About the only time you will hear about a mud tire being quiet is when one of the Skippys runs out, buys them, and drives them home and judges them on the ride home.......right before they get on the computer and tell the world how wonderful the tire is....with all of about 7 miles of experience with them. Hell, they all seem quiet when brand new! Mine were!
That is so very true. I have noticed that too. Knowing that, I think I need to pay more attention to those details when I read tire reviews online.

Quote:
I am thinking along the same lines as you are as far as hunting for a 255/85 to try. When you think about it the diameter is larger so the footprint of the tire in whatever media you are driving in may be comparable to the shorter fattter 285/75. Don't know that for a fact but am betting the rolling resistance of the 255 would be well worth exploring and I have little doubt as far as the overall capabilities of the Rubicon in making them work. Example - This evening a buddy and I put my Gheenoe in a lake for some fishing. Never had been in the lake and we had to back around 40 feet out into the lake to get into deep enough water to get the boat off the trailer. Not a problem pulling the load back out of the water when we returned. Fishing sucked (4 fish) but the Rubicon and the STTs performed as asked.
I think you are correct about the footprints being similar. It seems that I read that somewhere in the past that a 255/85R16 has a footprint equivalant to some of the fat tires. Its just that the foot print is long and skinny. If I recall correctly the information was about footprints in sand and someone was worrying about the 255s being too narrow and sinking. But because they are so long they actually have the same floatation. But I can't remember the details anymore or what size tire they were comparing it to. In my mind the 255 would be even better because you don't have to push the sand (or snow etc) out of the way like a wide tire would.

You've really got me thinking about tires again now. I was thinking about them last night when I went to sleep. When I woke up this morning they were still on my mind. I really started thinking about the Cooper ST in a 255/85R16. Although I wanted an AT with a more aggressive sidewall. (Like the Duratrac) I am really starting to reconsider the ST again. I like this tire because the AT tread should be a little quieter and provide less rolling resistance. So it should help gas mileage a little. The other thing I like is that the tire seems to be light. I found a thread on tacomaworld.com that indicated the tire only weighs 48lbs. So that is actually a couple pounds lighter than my stock MTRs. It would be about 8lbs lighter than your STTs. That weight savings has got to improve performance. The only thing that I don't like about this tire is that it is actually a little too narrow for my taste. I'm afraid it might look a little funny if it is too narrow. But then again if the less aggressive tread and light weight perform as I would hope they would, the performance of it may make it worth the tame look.

I think I need to read that review on expeditionportal.com again. If you do any reading over there pay attention to what Redline has to say. He tries a lot of different tires. From what I gather he gets rid of them before they reach half tread life. So his comparisons are between good tires and not comparing a new tire to something that is wore out.
2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Limited Edition #41
6spd manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
...there's very little that is more permanent than a temporary solution
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep
Go with quality and cry once. Go cheap and cry often. Take your pick ;)
LJ Owners Group member #110
Fargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2011, 09:28 PM   #19
Happypappy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Well, I apparently do the same thing as Redline does. I have a friend in the tire business up in the next town who sells me pretty much whatever tire I want and then takes my tires and sells them to the local hunters at the beginning of hunting season. I do this while there is still alot of tread left and get a decent amount out of the used tires. Makes tire buying a little less painful. The 255s, should I buy them, will not be as easy to do this with so I better like what I buy if I go this direction. What all is out there in the 255 selection?
'06 Rubicon Unlimited
Unread 07-05-2011, 07:20 PM   #20
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well, I apparently do the same thing as Redline does. I have a friend in the tire business up in the next town who sells me pretty much whatever tire I want and then takes my tires and sells them to the local hunters at the beginning of hunting season. I do this while there is still alot of tread left and get a decent amount out of the used tires. Makes tire buying a little less painful. The 255s, should I buy them, will not be as easy to do this with so I better like what I buy if I go this direction. What all is out there in the 255 selection?
There is not much out there for 255/85r16. Off the top of my head the tires I can think of are:

Cooper ST
BFG MT
Toyo MT
Toyo M55
Maxxis Bighorn
MA-761 Bravo Series
Interco Trxus MT

At one time there were also some other Cooper brand variations, but I think Cooper has now limited it to their ST. I also found online some reference to a Goodyear wrangler in that size but it does not show up on goodyears website.

With the 7 tires above to choose from you'd think we had a good selection but I am really not sold on any of them. The problem I see is most of them are load range E. Or the they are load range D with only 2 ply sidewalls.

Right now my first choice would be the Cooper ST since I am starting to lean more towards an AT/MT hybrid tire. The downside is the 2 ply sidewall and they are narrower than other 255s. The other AT, the Maxxis Bravo, looks a little too tame for me. My second choice would be either the Bighorn or the BFG. I like the bighorns better since they are slightly wider and a load range D. But they are only 2 ply sidewall and are heavier. I'm sure the Toyo MTs are great tires but they are heavy and have a reputation for being very stiff, although very durable. Not to mention expensive. I haven't looked at the Toyo M55. I don't know much about Interco but I have always viewed them as a lower quality tire.

So that about sums up my position on the current selection of 255/85r16s. But if I was buying today, I would get the Cooper ST. But ask me next week and it would probably be the Bighorn or the BFG.
6spd manual

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 07-05-2011, 07:30 PM   #21
Happypappy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Something else to think about. We were talking better mileage with the A/T over the Mud tire earlier and just looked this up. Little bit of apples and oranges but the diffrences should be noticeable between the Muds and the A/Ts as well.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/techartic...omy/index.html
'06 Rubicon Unlimited
Unread 07-05-2011, 09:02 PM   #22
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Something else to think about. We were talking better mileage with the A/T over the Mud tire earlier and just looked this up. Little bit of apples and oranges but the diffrences should be noticeable between the Muds and the A/Ts as well.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/techartic...omy/index.html
Its the mileage thing that really has me thinking about ATs. I drove my LJ over the 4th of July weekend and I kept thinking about how much I enjoy driving my Jeep on long distant trips to go camping and vacationing. I seldom see offroad use. Especially something that really requires a mud terrain. So it seemed to me that it makes more sense to get an AT so that I can maintain fuel economy so that I can actually drive my Jeep. I keep thinking that big fat 33" mud tires (285s) would sure look cool but what good is it if the Jeep looks cool sitting in the garage but it cost to much to drive.

So that is where the 255/85r16 Cooper ST comes to play for me. Its the same width as my stock MTR. If not even a little narrower. Its lighter and it has a less aggressive tread. All of these things should lend it to getting better MPG than my MTRs get. Being 2 1/2" taller will cost some gas mileage, but overall I think I should be able to run this tire without loosing any MPG and hopefully I can gain a little. The only real downside that I see is that this tire is not as aggressive or tough as the MTR. But since the trails I run are pretty moderate I don't think that will be a big issue. Especially since I will be making up for the less aggressive tread with a much taller tire. So in the end I think this would be a better tire for me on the road and off the road. So the only real negative is that they just don't look as cool as a 285/75 MT.
6spd manual

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 10-21-2012, 11:27 PM   #23
cdnabn49
2004 TJ Wrangler 

well my 33" BFG MT's finally got a little to long in the tooth for comfort and with winter on it's way up here I didn't want to chance it on the Rubi this year... I have to say that the old Mt's sure taught you how to drive... after reading a great deal of information on the internet I decided that we all have some favorite's... I am a MT fan even for winters up here in Canuckistan... but with having to commute more then double the hwy time now I wanted something a little more stable and I am doing more blacktop and gravel then muck so it was a real toss up between the GY DuraTrac's and the Cooper St Maxx...and the winner is - Cooper ST Maxx! I really think I made the right decision - I love the ride and feel of the tires and they look great. I can't get over how quiet they are - again coming from a MT. I just finished registering the tires online and checking the lug nuts torque - 120lbs is in the service manual spec.

*Image: Copyright 2012 RoadTraveler.net/J. Langan*
pa240023.jpg  

Last edited by cdnabn49; 11-21-2012 at 08:22 PM.. Reason: error
cdnabn49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2012, 02:54 PM   #24
cdnabn49
2004 TJ Wrangler 

well I am finally running in snow and ice - they track extremely well, are sure footed and deliver in the snow, pretty decent on ice - although not a dedicated ice snow tire - so over I am really digging this tire I am extremely pleased with them, well done Cooper Tires!
Unread 08-17-2013, 11:42 AM   #25
classicinjectio
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Reviving the thread looking for new shoes for my LJ Rub. I'd like to go 255 85 16 but the tire choices are limited. A 265 is my next choice i here the Duratrac is on the short side the ST Maxx sounds like a good choice but everyone is saying how heavy they are. Does anybody have long term reviews did your milage drop with thes tires how did your stock 4.10 gearing do with them. How many miles do you have on them now and tread wear.
classicinjectio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2013, 11:55 AM   #26
WXman
2001 WJ 

I can tell you for certain that the Cooper ST Maxx in 285/75-16 weighs over 65 lbs. and in the 265/70-17 size it goes 56 lbs. It's a very heavy tire and will kill your performance, fuel economy, and braking.

Having said that...the tradeoff is that you get an American tire that's tougher than a box of #16 nails, will wear like iron, and will take you anywhere you want to go even in deep snow or mud or in the rocks.

Just depends on what you're looking for in a tire.
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2014, 01:27 PM   #27
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Just to keep things up dated. Cooper will be introducing more tire sizes in the ST MAXX including a 255/85R16 and 255/80R17. Unfortunately the will be load range E. But otherwise, they should be a fantastic option. It think these tires will mount up very nicely on the stock Moabs. I'm hoping to get a pair when my STTs wear out. At 1" narrower I think I can remove my steering stops and gain back some turning radius without the need for spacers. I'm really excited about this tire. Here are the tires listed at tread depot. http://www.treaddepot.com/group/dstmx.html
6spd manual

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 01-06-2014, 01:53 PM   #28
classicinjectio
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Damn I just bought Duratracs, the 255 85s will be my next set in 45k or so!
classicinjectio is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.