New Tire? Cooper S/T Maxx - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > New Tire? Cooper S/T Maxx

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippBLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 06-21-2011, 10:44 PM   #1
Happypappy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

New Tire? Cooper S/T Maxx

Starting to look for another tire for my Rubicon. I currently run the Cooper STT and have had no issues whatsoever with them. After 27,000 miles on them the wear is great, the ride is great still, and they still pull like crazy. These tires were purchased primarily to get me to certain areas of the hunting land in Alabama we lease. Well, we no longer have that land and our new property is a little easier to traverse plus I have a Warn 8,000# winch on the front just in case. Having said that I am now thinking of an A/T tire for many reasons such as gas mileage, less noise, etc. Was thinking of the Cooper S/T and just looked on the website and saw these
http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Light-Truck/DISCOVERER-S-T-MAXX.aspx
Wondering if anyone has picked up a set yet and has enough miles on them to speak with a little more background than "I just put these on today and they are AWESOME"......if you know what I mean!
And "NO", there is no way in He__ I will ever consider a BFG All Terrain. Had nothing but problems with them on my F-250 diesel until I changed to Bridgestone Dueller Revos.

'06 Rubicon Unlimited
Happypappy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2011, 04:59 PM   #2
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I've looked at those too. From other reviews I've read they are an impressive tire. I also like that they have the same 3 ply sidewall as the STT. The problem that I see is that they are heavy.

I'm going to go out on a limb here now and make a bold prediction. I am going to predict that in the next couple of years Cooper will replace their standard ST with the same tread design on the lighter carcuss. So if you don't need the 3 ply side wall and you can wait that might be an option. But then again, I might be wrong and Cooper might want to keep the two tires seperate.
2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Limited Edition #41
6spd manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
...there's very little that is more permanent than a temporary solution
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep
Go with quality and cry once. Go cheap and cry often. Take your pick ;)
LJ Owners Group member #110
Fargo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2011, 11:44 PM   #3
Restruction
2000 WJ 

Interesting tire the only problem that I see is that all their sizes are load range E which I've been told is not good for a jeep.
Restruction is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2011, 11:49 PM   #4
robd2003
2002 WJ 

had load E on my wj, didnt ever have a problem, great when airing down too.. thats just my opinion
robd2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2011, 08:06 AM   #5
Happypappy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Fargo - Where did you come up with the weights on this tire? I have looked and cannot find that information.
Restruction - As far as the load range E not being good for Jeeps, some or all Rubicons came off the assembly line with load range E tires.
'06 Rubicon Unlimited
Unread 06-25-2011, 07:12 AM   #6
masedd
2002 TJ Wrangler 

The TJ Rubicons were load E and that was one of the big complaints with harsh ride. The JKs Rubicons now have load C. I have never run in to anyone who runs load E tires who doesnt say the ride is rough. An E load tire will also weigh more than the same size C load.
masedd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2011, 09:26 AM   #7
Ryan65r
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah I made the mistake of getting my BFG A/T's in load range E and they are a really harsh ride.
Ryan65r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2011, 09:16 PM   #8
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happypappy View Post
Fargo - Where did you come up with the weights on this tire? I have looked and cannot find that information.
Restruction - As far as the load range E not being good for Jeeps, some or all Rubicons came off the assembly line with load range E tires.
I don't have anything official. Just what I found at Expedition portal:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...verer-S-T-Maxx

They said the 285/75/16 is 61lbs and I also found somewhere that the 265/75/16 is 54lbs. So not CRAZY heavy. Especially for a load range E. Probably similar to the Toyo MTs. But they are heavier than I want. They should be a very rugged tire. But if I was going with a 285/75/16 I would stick with the STT at 56lbs. On the other hand if they build this tire in a 255/85R16 I would be all over it.
6spd manual

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 06-28-2011, 08:45 AM   #9
Happypappy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Well, there is always the Goodyear Duratrac I guess or the Cooper St or even the Mastercraft Courser CT. I can pretty much figure that my mileage will improve with an A/T over a mud tire and the noise level will definitely drop as well. In looking at the overall diameters most of these are barely 33" tires. Would consider the 255 as well.
'06 Rubicon Unlimited
Unread 06-28-2011, 09:47 AM   #10
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well, there is always the Goodyear Duratrac I guess or the Cooper St or even the Mastercraft Courser CT. I can pretty much figure that my mileage will improve with an A/T over a mud tire and the noise level will definitely drop as well. In looking at the overall diameters most of these are barely 33" tires. Would consider the 255 as well.
The specs on the 285/75R16 STT say it is 33.1" tall and weighs 56lbs. Its not an all terrain, but they are supposed to be pretty quiet. I have one friend that has them in 35" and they seem better than my OEM MTRs.

For a 16" rim this is the best tire I have found. Its a load range D with a 3 ply sidewall. So it is a little lighter than others. But if your looking for an AT Hybrid design your pretty much stock with the ST, STMAXX or the Duratrac. If I remember correctly the Duratrac is 58lbs.

I did send an email to Cooper asking if the ST MAXX would be availabe in a 255/85r16 but I haven't heard anything back.
6spd manual

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 06-28-2011, 10:54 AM   #11
Xlr8n
1986 TJ Wrangler 

To the OP- If you're looking for a decent AT, I have run Nitto TerraGrapplers on my Rubicon for the last 3 years and have been very pleased with the ride, performance, and longevity. Mine are a 285/75 'D' rated tire. I have run them at about 30 psi and have gotten over 60,000 mile out of them in a 5 tire rotation. Still actually have some safe, usuable tread left. I use the rig as a DD but also as a hunting rig and occasional trail ride. Nitto AT's are priced decent too. I think you can find the 285's at about $175 a tire.

I have contemplated going to the Toyo MT for my next tire in the new 285/70 16 C rated size which would be better on gas (32" diameter) and have an even softer ride. Not sure on road noise on the Toyo's yet, but will research some more.
Xlr8n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2011, 07:45 AM   #12
Happypappy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Fargo - Which tire were you talking about on your last post?

XLR8N - Am thinking I would like to stay American made if I can. Maybe the Nittos are made over here?? Then again the profits are all sent overseas. Thanks for the information just as well !
'06 Rubicon Unlimited
Unread 06-29-2011, 10:18 AM   #13
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Fargo - Which tire were you talking about on your last post?
Yeah I kind of hid the name in there didn't I. If you read it very closely you'll see that I did mention the secret tire name. But to help you out I will just tell you. I was talking about the Copper Discoverer STT. That is the tire that is 3ply load range D weiging in at 56lbs for the 285/75/R16. That is most likely my next tire unless I back of to a 32" tire.
6spd manual

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 06-29-2011, 02:01 PM   #14
Happypappy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

As i mentioned in my initial post I am currently running the STT and really like the tire. Can say with experience that the tires run true, wear well, and stay in balance better than any BFG I have ever run (and I ran alot of them when they were the only game in town) and as good as the Bridgestone Dueller Revos I had on the truck. Still a ton of tread left and will probably sell these to someone with confidence they will last them a long long time. If you buy a set you will like them - I guarantee it. It's just time for me to go to an all terrain to quiet down the Jeep and I just don't need that aggresive a tire for the hunting land I currently have. This Jeep outpulls my old CJ-7 with a built to the hilt .060 over, balanced, cammed up, AMC 360 any day of the week except for muddy hill climbing where you need tons of horsepower and I have a pretty hefty winch just in case so I have the luxury of going to an AT and enjoying the benefits! Looking forward to the change as there is nothing quite like listening to something between a really loud hum and a quiet howl for almost 6 hours each way to the hunting camp! Maybe I will be able to actually hear the radio at over 65mph! Yes, they get rotated around every 3-4,000 miles.
'06 Rubicon Unlimited
Unread 06-29-2011, 02:50 PM   #15
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
As i mentioned in my initial post I am currently running the STT and really like the tire. Can say with experience that the tires run true, wear well, and stay in balance better than any BFG I have ever run (and I ran alot of them when they were the only game in town) and as good as the Bridgestone Dueller Revos I had on the truck. Still a ton of tread left and will probably sell these to someone with confidence they will last them a long long time. If you buy a set you will like them - I guarantee it. It's just time for me to go to an all terrain to quiet down the Jeep and I just don't need that aggresive a tire for the hunting land I currently have. This Jeep outpulls my old CJ-7 with a built to the hilt .060 over, balanced, cammed up, AMC 360 any day of the week except for muddy hill climbing where you need tons of horsepower and I have a pretty hefty winch just in case so I have the luxury of going to an AT and enjoying the benefits! Looking forward to the change as there is nothing quite like listening to something between a really loud hum and a quiet howl for almost 6 hours each way to the hunting camp! Maybe I will be able to actually hear the radio at over 65mph! Yes, they get rotated around every 3-4,000 miles.
Sorry about that. I guess between postings I forgot what you already had. I can understand wanting something quieter. As much as I like what I have read about the Cooper STT, I can't help but to think that an aggressive AT would serve me better as well. I get offroad about once a year on vacation and drive 20 hours to get there. So I wouldn't mind something a little less aggressive as well. I had heard that the STTs were quiet, but if you are looking for something even quieter they may not be such a great choice for me either.

On the other hand I have also heard that the original Cooper STs are quite loud for an AT and that they STTs are actually quiter. So that may not be the best choice either. But of course I only know this second hand. So it may be a matter of perspective of someone coming from a highway tire to the ST. Anyway, go to expeditionportal.com and do some reading on the Cooper STs over there. They have a thread that is something like 20 pages long. You will find out a lot about them. They also have a short thread on the ST MAXX that I linked to earlier. Its worth reading if you haven't already done so.

From what I have read over there, the ST MAXX is a better tread design than the original ST. But it is a heavier tire. Personally, I am kind of hoping that they will redesign the ST tread design after the ST MAXX in the next year or so. I have no real reason to believe this will happen other than the 2 tires used to share the same tread design in the past. But that was when the ST MAXX was known as the ST-C.

Keep us posted with what you buy. I will be interested in hearing how they compare to the STTs.
6spd manual

Quote:
Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.