Never again unmount a tire to replace a valve stem. - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Never again unmount a tire to replace a valve stem.

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Reply
Unread 11-25-2013, 06:28 PM   #1
AntiPrius
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 1,177
Never again unmount a tire to replace a valve stem.

A little while back I noticed my left rear tire in the Jeep going flat when I left for work in my daily driver. So when the weekend came I got out my air compressor and filled the tire back up, but when I started to undo the air line I could hear air leaking. As it turns out, my rubber valve stem car cracked. I checked the other three and they too were cracked, but not leaking yet.

I figured there had to be a way to replace the valve stems without having to take the Jeep to a tire store and have all the tires unmounted, new valves installed and everything re-balanced.

I came across this nifty tool, bought it, and it works. I replaced all 4 valves in my driveway. It'd be really great if you tear a valve stem off road. It was about $30, and well worth it. It's pretty simple to use, just screw a new valve into the piece with the red handle and lube the stem, I used Vaseline (hey if it works for...well anyway), but probably many other things could be used, even some motor oil in a pinch, line the cone shaped black piece up to the hole in the wheel, then slam the valve though the cone shaped piece until it goes through the wheel. Then pull the valve back out until it seats in the wheel, then unscrew the tool. You're done. The valve removal tool is a POS and broke on my first attempt to use it, but that was the least of my worries, as the rest of the valve that wouldn't come out of the wheel on 3 of the 4 wheels is just down inside the tire, it makes no noise so I don't care.



This video shows how it works.


I bought it here, if anyone is interested in it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

AntiPrius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 07:04 PM   #2
CharlieHo
Get Savvy
 
CharlieHo's Avatar
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fairmont, West Virginia
Posts: 591
Neat tool.

Google videos on Youtoobz for breaking down tires without going to the shop, though. I generally bust my tires down with two 2x4s at the house, even though I have a tire machine at the shop.

I'm surprised your stems dry rotted, whoever installed your tires should have installed new stems at the same time. I've never heard of anyone charging for them since they're ripped out anyway, at least that's the way I've always done it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm
You could ask it nicely to move over. When that doesn't work, get a bar or 2x4 and ask it again.
I have the ability to spell correctly, it's just that the autocorrect on my iPad will not permit it.
CharlieHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 07:26 PM   #3
AntiPrius
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 1,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieHo View Post
Neat tool.

Google videos on Youtoobz for breaking down tires without going to the shop, though. I generally bust my tires down with two 2x4s at the house, even though I have a tire machine at the shop.

I'm surprised your stems dry rotted, whoever installed your tires should have installed new stems at the same time. I've never heard of anyone charging for them since they're ripped out anyway, at least that's the way I've always done it.

I bought my Jeep about 5.5 years ago, and it had brand new tires at the time. Since it's not my DD, I'm still on the same tires (until early next year when I'm going to replace the wheels and tires both) and they have about 18k miles on them, so I'd guess the stems are no older than 5.5 years or so, and I found it odd too, but then again, stems from China didn't exist when I first started driving. I'm guessing that's the culprit. They looked fine when I bought it, and for years afterwards.

This tool is so easy though, I can't imagine using any other method, especially "out in the field", when a valve fails or is damaged.
AntiPrius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 07:39 PM   #4
CharlieHo
Get Savvy
 
CharlieHo's Avatar
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fairmont, West Virginia
Posts: 591
Out in the field would definitely handy. Just a few months ago, a friend ripped a stem. We jammed a stick into it and wrapped it with miner's tape until we got to the trailhead.

Would have been nice to fix it on the spot.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm
You could ask it nicely to move over. When that doesn't work, get a bar or 2x4 and ask it again.
I have the ability to spell correctly, it's just that the autocorrect on my iPad will not permit it.
CharlieHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 09:20 PM   #5
NashvilleTJ
Member
 
NashvilleTJ's Avatar
2004 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Nashville, TN, Tennessee
Posts: 197
Great info AntiPrius. I had a valve stem fail on one of my trailer tires a few months ago, and spent a rediculous amout of time unseating the tire and then sneaking the new stem in. This tool would have been worth its weight in gold that day. I may pick one up just for the piece of mind.

Thanks again for the idea.

Jeff

Edit: $24 bucks on Amazon. Free shipping if you happen to have Amazon Prime.
NashvilleTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 09:25 PM   #6
goodwrenchdave
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: near Montreal, Quebec Canada
Posts: 346
hate having to be so negative but I would really need to see this at work (live)....seems like you would need a lot of pressure to compress the "butt" on a valve stem to fit through the little hole. More than what I'm seeing in the videos anyways. It is very dense rubber and feels hard to compress. even the valve removal part is full of . with channel locks you need to really tug on stem, to rip it out. They miraculously just push valve sideways and stick in a coathanger looking hook (how???) and out it comes??
And BTW....NOBODY unmounts a tire to replace a valve stem. The bead is separated on front side and pushed down, slice the old one to remove and new valve is inserted. no balancing necessary unless the "size/type" is changed.
but if it works, I can see how this could be useful on trail.
goodwrenchdave is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 09:25 PM   #7
JEK3
Web Wheeler
 
JEK3's Avatar
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Fredericksburg, Virginia
Posts: 1,382
Also perfect if you decide to drop in a load of balancing beads or airsoft pellets.
JEK3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 10:01 PM   #8
AntiPrius
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 1,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodwrenchdave View Post
hate having to be so negative but I would really need to see this at work (live)....seems like you would need a lot of pressure to compress the "butt" on a valve stem to fit through the little hole. More than what I'm seeing in the videos anyways. It is very dense rubber and feels hard to compress. even the valve removal part is full of . with channel locks you need to really tug on stem, to rip it out. They miraculously just push valve sideways and stick in a coathanger looking hook (how???) and out it comes??
And BTW....NOBODY unmounts a tire to replace a valve stem. The bead is separated on front side and pushed down, slice the old one to remove and new valve is inserted. no balancing necessary unless the "size/type" is changed.
but if it works, I can see how this could be useful on trail.
Suit yourself. I have it, and replaced 4 valves in my driveway, and it's now in my air compressor bag. I wasn't just showing what someone claimed, I gave first hand experience.
AntiPrius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 10:07 PM   #9
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired
 
Knuckelhead's Avatar
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 14,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodwrenchdave View Post
And BTW....NOBODY unmounts a tire to replace a valve stem. The bead is separated on front side and pushed down, slice the old one to remove and new valve is inserted. no balancing necessary unless the "size/type" is changed.
Did you mean the outside of the rim and pushed in?.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiPrius View Post
Suit yourself. I have it, and replaced 4 valves in my driveway, and it's now in my air compressor bag. I wasn't just showing what someone claimed, I gave first hand experience.
Thank you for your input...
__________________
TSB Information: http://www.automd.com/tsb/jeep_m/wrangler_mm/2000_y/
Knuckelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 10:09 PM   #10
my996duc1
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 203
That is pretty cool !!

I carry a spare tire that I could swap on but this would be even quicker and easier than changing the tire.


_
__________________
2005 LJ Rubicon Sahara #0090 / MetalCloak'd / Currie 4" Lift with AntiRock / 35x12.50 GoodYear Kevlars / UCF skids

My build : http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/rubicon-sahara-build-chronicles-328649.html
my996duc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 10:15 PM   #11
geroux
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiPrius View Post
and lube the stem, I used Vaseline (hey if it works for...well anyway), but probably many other things could be used, even some motor oil in a pinch
My only concern is using a petroleum based lubricant with rubber. That's how babies are born
geroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2013, 09:39 AM   #12
jeff_in_rc
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Posts: 628
A guy in our club has one that uses air pressure to do the same thing, both are worth every penney in my book.
__________________
2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Member of the Gear Grinders 4WD Club
jeff_in_rc is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.