post #1 of Old 08-29-2013, 05:12 AM Thread Starter
Caitlingirl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 31
Need Tire Suggestion

I have a 2010 JK with 37x12.5x17 M/T currently and alost readt to replace it. I like the rugged look of it but don't like th noise and the slow speed. What would be the best brand or tire type that I should replace it with to address my concern and still keep thensomewhat rugged look? I dont know thw difference between All Terrain and All Season tires.

Caitlingirl is offline  
post #2 of Old 08-29-2013, 07:09 AM
wilson1010
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 2,269
That's an expensive tire. Certainly the most popular tire that size (by a factor of multiples) will be the BFG All terrain TA/KO. $352 each at Tire Rack.

You can spend twice that amount on 37's.

03 Rubicon; 99 xj with too much stuff to list; Unimog 406 (gone)
wilson1010 is offline  
post #3 of Old 08-29-2013, 08:11 AM
AmmitOsiris
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Brentwood
Posts: 3,664
Goodyear tires, my M/T makes little noise and I can hear myself think I. The freeway

Sent from Peggy's office
AmmitOsiris is offline  
post #4 of Old 08-29-2013, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Caitlingirl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 31
By the way, I have a procomp,tire, is this notorious for being loud? Are you saying exactly the cane size but BF Goodrick brand All terrain is the best one for me that is not loud?
Caitlingirl is offline  
post #5 of Old 08-29-2013, 10:52 AM
wilson1010
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 2,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caitlingirl View Post
By the way, I have a procomp,tire, is this notorious for being loud? Are you saying exactly the cane size but BF Goodrick brand All terrain is the best one for me that is not loud?
The BFG AT tire is not very loud. It is certainly the best selling tire in that size maybe out selling all others combined. I have the BFG AT's in a smaller size on my K2500 Suburban and I think they are a good tire. But, you will hear from opponents of BFG tires if they see this topic, so keep an open mind. Also, get your info about MT/AT's from Tire Rack's knowledge base. Everything you could ever need to know about tires is on their web site.

03 Rubicon; 99 xj with too much stuff to list; Unimog 406 (gone)
wilson1010 is offline  
post #6 of Old 08-29-2013, 10:52 AM
WXman
Registered User
2001 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 3,503
Do you wheel it hardcore? I'd go down to a 35. Much smoother, lighter, and more performance. Better options too.

'92 YJ - heavily modded
'96 ZJ - heavily modded
'05 KJ CRD Limited - 370 lb./ft. from a 4-cylinder and trail ready. Pure awesomeness.
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is offline  
post #7 of Old 08-29-2013, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Caitlingirl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 31
I like the idea of going down to 35 but wouldn't there be too much space between the top of the tire and the fender flare? I am not sure if that will look good but will definitely consider. What do you think? Also wouldn't the gear ratio be affected and thus reducing MPG?
Caitlingirl is offline  
post #8 of Old 08-29-2013, 09:22 PM
AEVBrute
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Miami
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caitlingirl View Post
I have a 2010 JK with 37x12.5x17 M/T currently and alost readt to replace it. I like the rugged look of it but don't like th noise and the slow speed. What would be the best brand or tire type that I should replace it with to address my concern and still keep thensomewhat rugged look? I dont know thw difference between All Terrain and All Season tires.
12.5 and 17's are a hard combo to find these days in a 37. I run the same exact thing and I agree the M/T's are too loud and get louder with miles on them.

You have two options and I have experience with both and like them over the rest.

Good Year MTR Kevlars
Toyo Open Countrys

there are a couple others but the 12.5 turns in to 13.5 and that's a whole other problem.

Go to an 18 or 20 and the world opens up more but I run all 17's also.
AEVBrute is offline  
post #9 of Old 08-29-2013, 09:30 PM
lpukas2
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tucson
Posts: 308
Go by something that doesn't have 37's and is not a wrangler if you want quiet!
lpukas2 is offline  
post #10 of Old 08-30-2013, 08:15 AM
tyvanwie
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Boone
Posts: 9,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caitlingirl
I like the idea of going down to 35 but wouldn't there be too much space between the top of the tire and the fender flare? I am not sure if that will look good but will definitely consider. What do you think? Also wouldn't the gear ratio be affected and thus reducing MPG?
Your gear ratio is exactly why it's slow. Smaller tires will make it better.

I don't even own a jeep anymore
tyvanwie is offline  
post #11 of Old 08-30-2013, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Caitlingirl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvanwie

Your gear ratio is exactly why it's slow. Smaller tires will make it better.
I was told that if I go to smaller tires, yes, it will increase my gear ratio which will,make it run faster but will also increase my RPM and therefore use more gas. Do you agree?
Caitlingirl is offline  
post #12 of Old 08-30-2013, 08:50 AM
tyvanwie
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Boone
Posts: 9,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caitlingirl

I was told that if I go to smaller tires, yes, it will increase my gear ratio which will,make it run faster but will also increase my RPM and therefore use more gas. Do you agree?
Is it stock gear ratio..?

I don't even own a jeep anymore
tyvanwie is offline  
post #13 of Old 08-30-2013, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Caitlingirl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvanwie

Is it stock gear ratio..?
Its been regeared at 5.38 now
Caitlingirl is offline  
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome