Need some help finding a wheel for my skinny tires - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Need some help finding a wheel for my skinny tires

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery Mounts

Unread 04-17-2014, 12:55 PM   #1
Cloud6221
2008 XK Commander 

Need some help finding a wheel for my skinny tires

I have a set of Goodyear Duratrac Lt 235/80R17 tires. The tires require a 6.0-7.5 wide wheel. I have a 5X5 bolt pattern on my rig. The stock rims are fine width wise to fit these tires. However, they rub a little so I bought 1.5inch spacers, this eliminated the rubbing.

I'm looking to get new wheels and eliminating the use of a spacer. While my current wheel and spacer combo, my backspacing is 4.5 in. I would like a steel wheel that doesn't cost more then ~100$. For example, I would like a wheel much like this, Black Rock Wheels 997 Type 8. This would be the perfect wheel. However, they are 8 inch wide. A half and inch bigger then the tires I already have. Would the extra width be a huge problem on the trail and road?

Any I stuck with my stock wheels and/or spacers? I was able to find similar wheels without the backspacing I would like. But, in this case I would still have to use a spacer. I was also able to find some classic style wheels with my required specs. However, they run close to 200$ each.

In short, I'm looking for a military(ish) style steel wheel 17X(6.0-7.5) 5x5 backspacing 4.5inchs for ~100$. Does anyone know where I can get such a set?

Thank you for your time in reading my message. I hope to hear from anyone soon.

Cloud6221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2014, 11:13 PM   #2
billiebob
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thats a 1 ton truck tire, Load Range E rated for 80psi.

Put it on a Jeep and it'll ride like a lumber wagon.
Unread 04-20-2014, 07:30 AM   #3
CJ7nvrstk
1985 CJ7 

Did some looking and couldn't find anything that fits your criteria. Sorry. You may be stuck running spacers and stock wheels or an aftermarket wheel wider than what you want.

Good luck!
Unread 04-20-2014, 09:26 AM   #4
strvger01
1966 CJ5 

unless you get real lucky on craig's list or ebay, i think you're pretty much out of luck for your price range. don't forget to reduce the tire pressure for the weight you typically carry for the best ride. good luck to you.
Unread 04-20-2014, 11:29 AM   #5
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud6221 View Post
I have a set of Goodyear Duratrac Lt 235/80R17 tires. The tires require a 6.0-7.5 wide wheel. I have a 5X5 bolt pattern on my rig. The stock rims are fine width wise to fit these tires. However, they rub a little so I bought 1.5inch spacers, this eliminated the rubbing.

I'm looking to get new wheels and eliminating the use of a spacer. While my current wheel and spacer combo, my backspacing is 4.5 in. I would like a steel wheel that doesn't cost more then ~100$. For example, I would like a wheel much like this, Black Rock Wheels 997 Type 8. This would be the perfect wheel. However, they are 8 inch wide. A half and inch bigger then the tires I already have. Would the extra width be a huge problem on the trail and road?

Any I stuck with my stock wheels and/or spacers? I was able to find similar wheels without the backspacing I would like. But, in this case I would still have to use a spacer. I was also able to find some classic style wheels with my required specs. However, they run close to 200$ each.

In short, I'm looking for a military(ish) style steel wheel 17X(6.0-7.5) 5x5 backspacing 4.5inchs for ~100$. Does anyone know where I can get such a set?

Thank you for your time in reading my message. I hope to hear from anyone soon.
Go Crager's(BlackRock) website and they have a # you can call to have custom rims made to your specs.
Unread 04-20-2014, 02:12 PM   #6
DRFlickner

Perhaps you can try these guys too:

http://www.uswheel.com
DRFlickner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2014, 06:00 PM   #7
WXman
2001 WJ 

Discount Tire sells the MB 72 in 6" widths but that's all I know of.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2014, 09:45 PM   #8
Cloud6221
2008 XK Commander 

Thanks for all the input. I'm thinking of just getting the 17X8s. I'm told that the only down side is a slight smaller diameter.
Cloud6221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2014, 12:46 AM   #9
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

What did the tires rub on before the wheel spacer?

There are good ways to increase sway bar clearance and LCA clearance.

Perhaps that would solve the clearance issue so you could use stock wheels without spacer.

I've done this type solution on an LJ and XJ with great results.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.