Need opinions on KM2 vs. Duratrac - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Need opinions on KM2 vs. Duratrac

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-12-2013, 02:31 AM   #1
ADragg
2003 WJ 

Need opinions on KM2 vs. Duratrac

Tirebuyer.com has a discount code right now for 10% off and I can get a decent deal on BFG KM2's or Goodyear Duratracs. These are the two tires I've kind of settled on for a 3.5" lift on my WJ (Grand Cherokee). The KM2's would be about $900 in 245/75/17 -or- I could go with Duratracs in a little wider size at $830 for 265/70/17.

I decided to go a little skinnier in the KM2 because it's aggressive enough that I think it would be be fine in a little narrower size and it also brings the price more in the range of the Dura as well as saves weight. I know it would probably be a much stronger tire compared to the Duratrac and probably a little better off road. Aside from that, the cons are that it's a little more expensive, would probably get a little worse gas mileage (?), maybe more noisy, etc. The main pros are the sidewall strength compared to the Dura, I like the look a little better, and it's probably better off road.

The things I like about the Dura's are that it's light and should get good mileage for such an aggressive tire, it should ride nicer with the thinner sidewall, I could get a little extra width from it, would probably get less noise, etc. The main thing that makes me hesitate is that (even though I'm a casual wheeler and mostly DD) it is reputed to have weak sidewalls (on the other hand, I wouldn't mind the better gas mileage and ride softness that the thin sidewall provide) and also, I've heard it has softer tread that might not last as long in Nevada heat.

I'm just looking for your personal opinions and also any info, if anyone knows how much more the skinnier KM2 would weigh (I know the C-rated Duratrac weighs about 45 lbs) and how much difference I would notice in gas mileage. I believe the Duratrac I'm looking at on Tirebuyer is the C-rated, but all it says is 121Q, so maybe that's the E-rated one? What would you guys choose, I just can't decide and I'm looking for a way to just break this tie already.

ADragg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 05:21 AM   #2
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

The Duratrac is really an AT. The MTR is the comparable tire, I would say.
Unread 05-12-2013, 09:33 PM   #3
nocojeep
2006 WK 

the duratrac is a hybrid between an all terrain and mud terrain, so it gives you the best of both worlds. i have duratracs on my WK and had KM2's on my 4runner, and i liked them both. the KM2 in 245/75/17 weighs 51.8 pounds, and is only made in a 10 ply load range E in that size. The duratrac in 265 70 17 is made in both 6 ply load range C and 10 ply load range E. The load range C is more than enough for the jeep, and weighs less and rides nice. the 121 is load range E. Load range C will have a load index of 112 which is what you want.
nocojeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 01:33 AM   #4
ADragg
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocojeep View Post
the duratrac is a hybrid between an all terrain and mud terrain, so it gives you the best of both worlds. i have duratracs on my WK and had KM2's on my 4runner, and i liked them both. the KM2 in 245/75/17 weighs 51.8 pounds, and is only made in a 10 ply load range E in that size. The duratrac in 265 70 17 is made in both 6 ply load range C and 10 ply load range E. The load range C is more than enough for the jeep, and weighs less and rides nice. the 121 is load range E. Load range C will have a load index of 112 which is what you want.
Thanks a bunch for your response! Very helpful. I'm kind of torn, though, because Tirebuyer, which is the website that I can get such a good deal on, only seems to have the E-rated 121Q Duratracs. I believe they're 50 pounds and wouldn't offer the increased gas mileage compared to the KM2's for the most part. I figured I might notice a difference with C-rated Duras taking 5 pounds off each corner (which is supposed to be equivalent to 100-200 pounds of cargo). And I also might get a little stiffer ride. I'm not hugely worried about the ride as I have Bilstein's, but still. It's a DD. On the other hand, the Dura's are known for weak sidewalls and having an E-rated set might take care of that problem with the extra ply's. I've also heard from several people with E-rated Duratrac's on WJ's and they say they ride very nicely and not noticeably rough.

So I'm not sure if I should take a chance and get potentially worse gas mileage and rougher ride in order to get the tires at a great price with the possible benefit that if the E-rated tires don't turn out to ride so rough, they might save me some sidewall issues since they should be plenty strong with the extra ply's. Decision's, decisions.

Thanks for anyone else's advice and opinions. I don't know when this mother's day coupon code expires, but I imagine it won't last much longer.
ADragg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 05:11 AM   #5
tyvanwie
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Duratrac

Sent from my iForum using JeepPhone

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 05:59 AM   #6
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

For a DD, I'd go with the Duratrac. I know know about it being a "hybrid", since Goodyear doesn't even try to sell it that way, but it will give you good on road AT performance which is really what you need for a DD.

I have the KM2's on a Yota PU and they are a bit noisy on the highway. I would have put BFG T/A KO's on it if it was a daily driver.
Unread 05-14-2013, 01:04 AM   #7
karlo

Duratracs can handle on and off-road well, and they are quite on the highway.
karlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2013, 12:52 PM   #8
chopperkid2000
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Duratracs Suck

Duratracs I had were terrible. I couldn't get them balanced. Even using road force balancer. I bought them through tire rack. They sent 3 new tires, same crap.. They refunded me and I paid the difference to get the km2's.

That's my 2 pennies.
chopperkid2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2013, 01:25 PM   #9
MikeHoncho88
Desert Rat

2013 JK Wrangler 

Not sure why everyone says duratracs are quiet. The set I had we're quite loud. Loudest tire I personally have ever owned. They are a good tire but road noise is not one of the good characteristics.

Personally I would choose a set of KM2 unless I was going to do a lot of winter driving. I think the duratracs might be better in winter conditions.
Unread 05-21-2013, 10:15 AM   #10
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The KM2's would not even be an option for me. That's one mistake I won't make again.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
SLADE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 07:46 PM   #11
MikeHoncho88
Desert Rat

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLADE
The KM2's would not even be an option for me. That's one mistake I won't make again.
What didn't you like about them?
Unread 05-22-2013, 05:47 AM   #12
tyvanwie
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

my duratracs balanced just fine and I don't hear them until 70 mph, then it's only slightly...

Sent from my iForum using JeepPhone

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 10:26 AM   #13
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHoncho88 View Post
What didn't you like about them?

Poor performance in mud/wet soil.

They didn't clean out, didn't dig, had very poor lateral traction. Required too much wheel speed to even start cleaning out. They where all but helpless as soon as the dirt got wet. They where small for their labeled size. I was not impressed with their performance on wet and snowy roads.

This was a common sight in all different kinds and consistencies of mud.

2001 Dodge Ram 2500
Unread 01-20-2014, 02:37 AM   #14
TrailRated2011

2011 JK Wrangler 

Duratracs are categorized as ATs, right? Can a Mud-Terrain (KM2) be fairly compared to an All-Terrain (Duratrac) tire and vice-versa? I had thought both of them to be designed to meet different off-roading requirements/levels of performance. KM2's specialty is mud, while Duratracs are designed as multipurpose. Selecting one over the other, AT over MT, will depend on what kind of surface(s) a vehicle is rolling. IMHO, it's all about getting the most traction (grip) on the types of trails that I frequent----the best bang for the buck!

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
image-1044984808.jpg

follow the general rule of off-roading, "Go as slow as you can, as fast as you must."
I'm on the Web: geres.ca
TrailRated2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2014, 04:38 AM   #15
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailRated2011 View Post
KM2's specialty is mud......

The KM2 is far from a "specialty" mud tire.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.