Need new tires...and YOUR opinions. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Need new tires...and YOUR opinions.

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-05-2013, 10:12 AM   #1
Green_Monster
2007 JK Wrangler 

Need new tires...and YOUR opinions.

I'm looking to buy 5 new tires for my JK. 35's. I've been running BFG KM2's for the past 133K miles. I'm looking to change it up a bit. I want tires that are better on slick roads. Quieter would be nice too, but just not louder. (Also, being able to get at least 60K miles out of them like I have the BFG's would be nice...)

I've been looking at:
Pro Comp Xtreme All Terrain
Nitto Trail Grappler
Mickey Thompson ATZ Radial
Interco Trxus MT
Interco Trxus STS

I'm looking to you guys for experience and opinions. Let them fly!

Thanks.

3.5in RE lift (+ 3/4" spacers in front), Bilstein 5100's, 35in Wrangler Duratracs on TIS 535 Wheels, 5.13 Yukon gears with Solid diff Covers, Warn Front Bumper with 7" Warn HID's and a 8500lb winch, OF Fab Swing Away Tire/Gerry Can Carrier, Line-X'd tub
Green_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 11:39 AM   #2
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The xtreame a/t will net 40k+ on a 1ton so you will see a good life. They do well for an a/t on and off, But are a directional tire and not a rock/mud tire. Low noise though.

The trail grappler is what I would be looking at. From reviews, Word of mouth and watching them, They are a monster on the trails and rocks IMO. They also look to be wearing like iron, 50k +/-. They are heavy and have a hum, But nothing worse than km2's.

Or go with kevlars, They do it all and then some. Quiet on road and chew through anything or grip whatever is in its way with a strong sidewall. Ill see 45k+/- rotating every 3k and I have a tread depth gauge to check just how much has worn and when I DD them they did great. But others have said they only got 30k out of them, Im at that and have 14/32's left avg.

Good luck either way
Unread 05-05-2013, 12:45 PM   #3
11B-33T
Grumpy vet

2004 WJ 

My personal research for new tires lead me to Cooper tires for replacements. I went with the Discoverer AT3 since I'm mainly city/hwy but I did see the Discoverer S/T MAXX for you guys that like to get dirty, climb rocks, hit trails, go boggin' and other stuffs.

The on-line reviews for the Discoverer S/T MAXX are pretty good and word of mouth is positive as well.

Check out the specs for yourself:http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Light...AXX.aspx?tab=2

GL with your search.
11B-33T is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 03:52 PM   #4
Green_Monster
2007 JK Wrangler 

Thanks guys. I'm not sure I care for the Coopers based on reviews and what I'm looking to do with them. I've added the Dick Cepek Fun Country 2 into my list as well.
3.5in RE lift (+ 3/4" spacers in front), Bilstein 5100's, 35in Wrangler Duratracs on TIS 535 Wheels, 5.13 Yukon gears with Solid diff Covers, Warn Front Bumper with 7" Warn HID's and a 8500lb winch, OF Fab Swing Away Tire/Gerry Can Carrier, Line-X'd tub
Unread 05-05-2013, 09:10 PM   #5
11B-33T
Grumpy vet

2004 WJ 

I'm curious what reviews you perused that gave you 2nd thoughts on the Coopers. I'm no sales dude and your input may help me from putting out bum scoop on a tire I don't have practical experience with.
11B-33T is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 02:27 AM   #6
karlo

I have run on BFG KM2 and Nitto TG before, and I must say that TGs are much stronger and has longer thread life. I heard about the sidewall problems of TG, but never had a personal experience.
karlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 04:27 PM   #7
colgatefootball
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I love my Fun Country tires. Quiet on the highway, wheel well on rocks, not had them in mud but friends who have say they are fine, wearing well....

Ive had too many friends who think Pro Comp tires are junk, do not balance easy, and wear fast.

I can give Fun Country thumbs up, I had near new KM2s but never see mud, and didnt care for the noise and vibrations (getting old I guess), so I sold them and got Fun Country.

Unless you are mudding, and I used to mud when I lived back east, plus I still to this day love the look of mudders, but man they wear much faster, are much louder as they age, have more vibrations, not as good in rain and snowy roads, and wear out quicker. I am all about All Terrains these days. Unless I move east, South, or someplace I can mud more which I would love!! haha
colgatefootball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 08:32 PM   #8
veromud772

TOYO Mud Terrains are the way to go. Best ridding and quit for a mud tire that truly performs.
veromud772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 12:58 AM   #9
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11B-33T View Post
I'm curious what reviews you perused that gave you 2nd thoughts on the Coopers. I'm no sales dude and your input may help me from putting out bum scoop on a tire I don't have practical experience with.
Cooper ST Maxx has hard rubber (for very long life - around 60K miles) and few sipes on center treads that are at right angle to rotation. For those reasons I would expect them to be very durable and long lasting, but not great traction on slick pavement. i.e. - not to great on wet pavement and probably terrible on ice. IMO

I love the Cooper AT3 for an AT, but he seems to be wanting something more aggressive.
Unread 05-07-2013, 01:00 AM   #10
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Have a look at Duratrac and General Grabber AT2.

The new version of Grabber AT2 still looks similar to BFG AT, but is much more agressive and tougher with larger lugs, larger voids, and tougher sidewalls.

AT2 is warrantied for 55K miles. Not sure how long Duratrac lasts.

---

Trxus MT is probably the best off road and mud performer, IMO, and it is good on ice and great on snow due to soft rubber and lots of sipes at right angle to rotation. Great tire off road and on wet and Winter roads. OK on dry road. This tire reputedly lasts fewer miles, which is it's only downside, IMO. However, it costs less than most brands of MT. So shorter life might not be a problem considering lower tire price and great performance.
Unread 05-07-2013, 05:08 PM   #11
Green_Monster
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11B-33T View Post
I've read the Coopers have a weaker sidewall. Also, I'm looking for something with a fair amount of siping to get better traction in slick conditions. Right now I think I'm leaning towards the Dick Cepek FCII...
Unread 05-07-2013, 09:43 PM   #12
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Monster View Post
I've read the Coopers have a weaker sidewall. Also, I'm looking for something with a fair amount of siping to get better traction in slick conditions. Right now I think I'm leaning towards the Dick Cepek FCII...

You read some bad reviews. The STT with the armor tek3 sidewall is just about as strong as they get aside from krawlers, Creepys and kevlars.

But all have different tastes and areas of terrain that cause certain tires to perform less. The DC FC II is a great tire, Great biting edges as well as one of few that run true to size., The other being the pro comp X a/t.
Good luck either way, I don't think you will be unhappy with your choices.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.