Need help choosing rims. Take a look and let me know what you think. - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Need help choosing rims. Take a look and let me know what you think.

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-08-2010, 12:14 PM   #31
JohndKc
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I would either get 15's or 16's. You said that you don't offroad that much, but the smaller the rim, more tire between your rim and the ground if you air down. Also look for a rim with as little back spacing as you can afford. I wouldn't settle for anything less than 3.5 inches. It also give your jeep a wider more aggressive stance.

Also Salt destroys chrome as said. I would get a set of alloys if you plan on running them in the winter. I go back to my 30 inchers in the winter. Looks funny on 5 inches of lift.

JohndKc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2010, 05:58 PM   #32
birds1969
2007 JK Wrangler 

Ok guys. I think I have decided on which rims i like the best. But they offer two differnt back spacing and 2 differnt off sets. So which ones would fit better with out the rubbing. The first set offers a 5.71 back spacing with a 18mm offset. The second set offers a 4.53 back spacing with a -12mm offset. Not real familiar with the whole back spacing and offset so really need your help with this one. Thanks!!!
birds1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2010, 06:06 PM   #33
birds1969
2007 JK Wrangler 

OK second question. I am looking at the Pro Comp Tires Radial Mud Terrain and they are a 33x12x17 but they say they are 32.5 inches overall diameter. Would that fit as a 32 or a 33? Would it fit with a 2" bb lift kit with out rubbing? I really like the goodyear mtrs with kevlar but not sure if they make a tire to fit as a 32 in a 17" rim. Any suggestions
Unread 05-08-2010, 09:33 PM   #34
Marctwayne
1985 CJ7 

Most tires physicaly measure smaller than their stated size. Usually by about a 1\4 to 1\2 inch. You will find more tire selection in the 33" or 31" range. Not sure why the 32" are not as common.

Johndkc and the backspacing comments are a little off. But then that kind of thinking makes wheel bearings cheeper for the rest of us so... I would also go 15" or 17" wheels. 16" wheels are a bit of an odd duck and will limit your tire choices.

Offset is really just a preference issue at least on a Jeep. I like little to negative offset but I don't imagine either of the above options will have any draw backs to them (in your case). So one could conclude that I would go with the 4.53 with the -12mm.

[QUOTE=my-jeep-earl;6694423]It does look alot better when the Jeep is "ugly side up" though! :hahaha::teehee:[/QUOTE]

Last edited by Marctwayne; 05-08-2010 at 10:04 PM..
Marctwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2010, 09:46 PM   #35
reTJcon01
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Pro comp tires for the price I would take some time to look around. Also, if you dont wheel that much, consider getting an A/T tire...BFG comes to mind, pretty sure they were 165 a piece for 32's a couple months ago. And yes they will fit with your BB.
reTJcon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2010, 09:58 PM   #36
Marctwayne
1985 CJ7 

MTR w\K are a really cool tire. I have seen those things take a beating that would sideline a lesser tire. You have however stated a more street less off road goal so at about 1500 for a full set plus spare and the fact that they are a physically heavy tire (again the 2.4L). You will pay for those cool trendy shoes every day at the gas pump.

There is a 12-15 pound difference (per tire) between a Goodyear MTR w\k and a Goodyear DuraTrac probably the next best option as offered by Goodyear (this is not a Goodyear support post). Cooper discoverer and Mickey Thompson MTZ Radial are also tires that I have had and liked. You really don't need these costly off road tires though so ....... hard to argue tire quality just go on road noise and looks

[QUOTE=my-jeep-earl;6694423]It does look alot better when the Jeep is "ugly side up" though! :hahaha::teehee:[/QUOTE]
Unread 05-09-2010, 01:16 AM   #37
SnowdogMarc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I just picked up these Core Racing X-Calibers in 15X8 with the 33X12.5 good all around tire that's fairly quiet for an MT and has good street manners and works very well off road. I am going through mud holes on open diffs and having to back up and pull a buddy out with lockers LOL.
Here's a picture of it...more food for thought.
l---L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)____________VE6-SDG
SnowdogMarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2010, 05:21 PM   #38
birds1969
2007 JK Wrangler 

Nice looking jeep and tires. Thanks for posting a pic for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowdogMarc View Post
I just picked up these Core Racing X-Calibers in 15X8 with the 33X12.5 good all around tire that's fairly quiet for an MT and has good street manners and works very well off road. I am going through mud holes on open diffs and having to back up and pull a buddy out with lockers LOL.
Here's a picture of it...more food for thought.
Unread 05-09-2010, 05:24 PM   #39
birds1969
2007 JK Wrangler 

It is true that I use my jeep for more street use than off road. But id still like to have that off road look even if I dont use it quite as much as others would. Would a intake and exhaust, headers help the 2.4l? I have added those upgrades to other vehicles of mine and it help out alot. Didnt know if the 2.4l would be the same way? The money issue isnt really a problem with me I just would like to have something that looks really nice and is also functiable as well. I really do appreciate you input on this subject. Its been alot of help and I have really learned alot from your advise. Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marctwayne View Post
MTR w\K are a really cool tire. I have seen those things take a beating that would sideline a lesser tire. You have however stated a more street less off road goal so at about 1500 for a full set plus spare and the fact that they are a physically heavy tire (again the 2.4L). You will pay for those cool trendy shoes every day at the gas pump.

There is a 12-15 pound difference (per tire) between a Goodyear MTR w\k and a Goodyear DuraTrac probably the next best option as offered by Goodyear (this is not a Goodyear support post). Cooper discoverer and Mickey Thompson MTZ Radial are also tires that I have had and liked. You really don't need these costly off road tires though so ....... hard to argue tire quality just go on road noise and looks
Unread 05-09-2010, 05:26 PM   #40
birds1969
2007 JK Wrangler 

Oh and Ill take a look at those tires as well. Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by birds1969 View Post
It is true that I use my jeep for more street use than off road. But id still like to have that off road look even if I dont use it quite as much as others would. Would a intake and exhaust, headers help the 2.4l? I have added those upgrades to other vehicles of mine and it help out alot. Didnt know if the 2.4l would be the same way? The money issue isnt really a problem with me I just would like to have something that looks really nice and is also functiable as well. I really do appreciate you input on this subject. Its been alot of help and I have really learned alot from your advise. Thanks again.
Unread 05-09-2010, 10:19 PM   #41
Marctwayne
1985 CJ7 

As a point of clarity. The 2.4L is a good engine so don't sweat it too much. Also are you a Stick or Auto Trans?

Most of the engines that are used in Jeeps are designed to build good low end torque. So any horse power aid by way of better air flow, be it intake or exhaust will help. The platform was just not intended to be a very strong performer at highway speeds. I would get the ole girl look'en the way you want (I can totally see what your shooting for) and see how she does as a daily driver. Just keep in mind anything you can do to decrease or limit weight is to your advantage. If the power is not there or fuel consumption is in the toilet then see what you can do to fine tune the 2.4L or address the gear ratio your running.

My 4.2L inline 6 will leap of the line at a light (thats the torque talk'en). I have even caught a few ricers and such off guard, but by the time we blow past the cross walk on the other side its all over. I am geared to run the wheels and such for off road. My top speed right now is about 55 mph 60 if I really make the poor boy scream. I need a 5 speed transmission. Thats my current project, what a mess

My point is not that you could ever do anything to win a light to light showdown and I know that is not your goal. Yet working within the power that you have will make the Jeep more fun to drive as well as more affordable.

Unread 05-09-2010, 10:22 PM   #42
Marctwayne
1985 CJ7 

Ignore the stick\auto question I over looked it. The auto will help out at cruising and highway speeds. So your even better off. Yet I would forget about the off the line shenanigans.

Unread 05-09-2010, 10:24 PM   #43
birds1969
2007 JK Wrangler 

I have a auto in mine. Got it so the gf could drive since she cant drive a manual. I am also looking into doing some engine mods such as intake, header and exhaust so hopefully that would help out as well. As far as the racing part. Well I have another vehicle for that. I have quickly found out that the jeep is not made for speed at all but It is deff a fun daily driver and is good for what it is intented to be used for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marctwayne View Post
As a point of clarity. The 2.4L is a good engine so don't sweat it too much. Also are you a Stick or Auto Trans?

Most of the engines that are used in Jeeps are designed to build good low end torque. So any horse power aid by way of better air flow, be it intake or exhaust will help. The platform was just not intended to be a very strong performer at highway speeds. I would get the ole girl look'en the way you want (I can totally see what your shooting for) and see how she does as a daily driver. Just keep in mind anything you can do to decrease or limit weight is to your advantage. If the power is not there or fuel consumption is in the toilet then see what you can do to fine tune the 2.4L or address the gear ratio your running.

My 4.2L inline 6 will leap of the line at a light (thats the torque talk'en). I have even caught a few ricers and such off guard, but by the time we blow past the cross walk on the other side its all over. I am geared to run the wheels and such for off road. My top speed right now is about 55 mph 60 if I really make the poor boy scream. I need a 5 speed transmission. Thats my current project, what a mess

My point is not that you could ever do anything to win a light to light showdown and I know that is not your goal. Yet working within the power that you have will make the Jeep more fun to drive as well as more affordable.
Unread 05-10-2010, 12:46 PM   #44
brandontrek
1999 XJ Cherokee 

brandontrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2010, 07:14 PM   #45
TreyMR2
2006 TJ Wrangler 

If I was gonna put expensive rims on my jeep I'd get some of these

http://www.motometal.net/951-BLACK.jpg
TreyMR2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.