Need help choosing rims. Take a look and let me know what you think. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Need help choosing rims. Take a look and let me know what you think.

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-Load

Unread 05-07-2010, 09:10 PM   #16
Marctwayne
1985 CJ7 

I love when people just get into a Jeep for the first time. They instantly notice the numerous thing that can be done to make their Jeep just that. So go for it.

However, keep in mind some alterations (like tire size and wheels) can be more complicated than pick a size and color and role with it. Keep in mind the 2.4 is a horse power source that is limited. The bigger those wheels and tires get the more of your precious horse power that is lost and your axle gearing will need to be adjusted to make things reasonable to drive. Just keep the overall diameter of the Wheel\tire combo no larger than say 2" greater than the stock size.

[QUOTE=my-jeep-earl;6694423]It does look alot better when the Jeep is "ugly side up" though! :hahaha::teehee:[/QUOTE]
Marctwayne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2010, 09:12 PM   #17
Marctwayne
1985 CJ7 

Oh and like previously stated. Watch the back spacing on the wheels!

[QUOTE=my-jeep-earl;6694423]It does look alot better when the Jeep is "ugly side up" though! :hahaha::teehee:[/QUOTE]
Unread 05-07-2010, 09:14 PM   #18
birds1969
2007 JK Wrangler 

Ok so you say dont go bigger than 2" over stock. So that would be 31s? and what backspacing should I be looking for? I dont want to get something that is gonna rub everytime I turn the wheel.
birds1969 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2010, 09:31 PM   #19
Marctwayne
1985 CJ7 

I am not familiar with the stock backspacing on your Jeep but if the stock numbers (spacing and wheel width)are the same as what you get there is no issue. There is obviously room to play but the more you play the more you encourage Murphy's Law.

I will see if I can find the stock numbers for your Jeep but get familiar with all the sizing of wheels and tires and then see what you can find within you range.

Also as far as overall diameter. 32's might even be ok. Put you trans, transfer case,axle gear ratios into the fallowing ratio calc and see what you get as far as RPM and speed then when you find a tire combo put in the new sizes and see what you get. 4Lo.com :: Final Gear Ratio, Crawl Ratio, Tire Size Calculators

Unread 05-07-2010, 09:33 PM   #20
2doorxj
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sardog12 View Post
Actually, he did ask for everyone's opinion and what they recommend, so XJ wasn't out of line with voicing his opinion. If he likes any of the three that he posted, then good for him as it is his Jeep but I have to agree with XJ in that I can't recommend any of them. I think that they would all look like *** on any off-road vehicle.
thanks for the support

2012 Cherokee of the Year
2doorxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2010, 09:47 PM   #21
Marctwayne
1985 CJ7 

If your spare is easy to get at, you can lay it face down and put a striate edge on the back of the rim. Then measure from the mounting surface to the striate edge and there is your back spacing. I think is will be around 5.25" - 5.5".

Unread 05-07-2010, 10:01 PM   #22
birds1969
2007 JK Wrangler 

Ok I can try and do this tomorrow. If it is that backspacing. I should try and stay as close to it as possible? or should i go to something lower as in the 4s or higher as in 5s and 6s? Sorry for all the questions just have no clue when it somes to jeeps. Always delt with trucks and cars.
Unread 05-07-2010, 10:24 PM   #23
1stockjeep
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sardog12 View Post
Actually, he did ask for everyone's opinion and what they recommend, so XJ wasn't out of line with voicing his opinion. If he likes any of the three that he posted, then good for him as it is his Jeep but I have to agree with XJ in that I can't recommend any of them. I think that they would all look like *** on any off-road vehicle.
I wasnt tryin to be an ***. I wouldnt run those either because they are not my cup of tea. Plus I cant see spending more on rims than I did for my whole jeep.
1stockjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2010, 11:04 PM   #24
Marctwayne
1985 CJ7 

If it is 5.5" One inch to the less a 4.5" or 4" is not a problem. the wheel moves away from the suspension\frame. A One inch to the more a 6.5" backspace and Murphy will be taking a hard long look atcha. The 6.5 or 6.88 the backspacing of the last wheel in your original list. Pulls the tire closer to the suspension\frame by almost 2 inches. At that point, wheel spacers will be needed. Is that bad? I would suggest not going that route. The further you put the wheel away from the original mounting location the more leverage the wheel has on the axle. Therefore more load or stress on the bearings. You will end up causing more maintenance and wear issues than its worth. IMHO!

Unread 05-07-2010, 11:10 PM   #25
03TJJeeper
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Go with the ones i have. moto metals, i forget the model.

03TJJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2010, 11:16 PM   #26
JohndKc
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Dare to be different. Machined aluminum or chrome.

You should take note the backspacing for all of those rims. They leave you with little to no movement to larger tires.

The back spacing on these are 6.88 inches Helo Series HE834 Wheel-RH2 . Stockers are 5.5 inches.

In my opinion i would buy something that will not only suit you, but offer a platform for the future. Also don't worry about trail rash, you can always repaint
JohndKc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2010, 06:36 AM   #27
birds1969
2007 JK Wrangler 

Ok now this is starting to make more since. I guess I was confused with which ones bring the wheels closer and which ones make them stick out more. Thank you for your help man. You dont know how much I appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marctwayne View Post
If it is 5.5" One inch to the less a 4.5" or 4" is not a problem. the wheel moves away from the suspension\frame. A One inch to the more a 6.5" backspace and Murphy will be taking a hard long look atcha. The 6.5 or 6.88 the backspacing of the last wheel in your original list. Pulls the tire closer to the suspension\frame by almost 2 inches. At that point, wheel spacers will be needed. Is that bad? I would suggest not going that route. The further you put the wheel away from the original mounting location the more leverage the wheel has on the axle. Therefore more load or stress on the bearings. You will end up causing more maintenance and wear issues than its worth. IMHO!
Unread 05-08-2010, 06:37 AM   #28
birds1969
2007 JK Wrangler 

Nice jeep!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03TJJeeper View Post
Go with the ones i have. moto metals, i forget the model.

Unread 05-08-2010, 06:42 AM   #29
birds1969
2007 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the support. I think i am leaning more towards the chrome or machined ones now. I get what you are saying about building a platform for the future. But like i said before, this is more just a driver for me and not a crawler so I think i will be happy with 32s. Now Im just trying to figure out if I wanna go 17s or 16s. Any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohndKc View Post
Dare to be different. Machined aluminum or chrome.

You should take note the backspacing for all of those rims. They leave you with little to no movement to larger tires.

The back spacing on these are 6.88 inches Helo Series HE834 Wheel-RH2 . Stockers are 5.5 inches.

In my opinion i would buy something that will not only suit you, but offer a platform for the future. Also don't worry about trail rash, you can always repaint
Unread 05-08-2010, 10:10 AM   #30
03TJJeeper
2003 TJ Wrangler 

If you go with chrome make sure you have another set of wheels if you live in an area that gets a lot of salt.
03TJJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.