need better tires - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > need better tires

Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 07-22-2013, 03:26 PM   #1
oldgrisly

need better tires

Hi I have a 2013 JGC overland summit and it is a one month old, amazing vehicle. But it came with 20 inch wheels and GY Fortura tires and they just aren't cutting it where I live. We have a mile of rocky, gravel, dirt road to get home and while the jeep does much better on these roads due to the awesome tracking and suspension, I want better traction - the tires are the issue, and some of the big rocks/ruts make me nervous with the low profile sidewall of those tires.

I want to put on 18 wheels and more aggressive tires for rocks/gravel/dirt. And we get lotsa mud in rain. Is there anyone who has done this before? Need some advice I guess. Jeep says 265/60/R18, but my jeep service thought 275/65/R18 ought to fit?

Thanks,

Pat

oldgrisly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 06:43 AM   #2
WXman
2001 WJ 

Sounds to me like you need a commercial traction tire such as the Cooper Discoverer ST MAXX. Something with bite, but also cut resistant tread compound. Although, I don't know what's available in those wheel sizes.

Personally I'd do 265/70s on some 17" wheels if it was me.
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 11:26 PM   #3
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Would a 16" wheel fit? I think that a 16" wheel and R16 tire would be better, if a 16" wheel will clear your brakes. Look for a load C tire. There are a few load C tires in R16 sizes. If you can't fit a 16" wheel, then a 17" wheel.

For tire, I recommend Cooper AT3. I use them every week in conditions similar to what you describe. They are doing great on steep rocky roads, steep muddy roads, muddy creek bed, and are excellent on highway.

Cooper AT3 is aggressive enough for mild to moderate off road, and mild enough to be excellent on highway.
Unread 07-26-2013, 12:04 AM   #4
oldgrisly

I think the problem is the size of the brakes and calipers, 18 " is the smallest rim you can put on that overland. I do like the cooper and I saw a BFG fairly aggressive tread in costco the other day but there does not seem to be a large choice, so still looking. Thanks for the advice btw.
oldgrisly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2013, 09:23 PM   #5
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Do you get snow or ice?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.