Need advice on tires please ('06 TJ) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Need advice on tires please ('06 TJ)

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 04-13-2012, 10:12 AM   #1
sanshredder
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Need advice on tires please ('06 TJ)

I'm looking for some help and advice on tires. Every shop I've seemed to go into gives me different opinions and advice on what I can or can't put on my stock TJ. I've also found numerous and different suggestions online.
I want all-season tires that will get me through wet and winter conditions (my 4WD will get me through where I live). I'd like them to have some bite when I do light off-roading on gravel roads/small hills. I won't be seriously off-roading.
I have a 2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ Sport. It is ALL stock. Auto, 4.0L. My stock tires are 225/75R/15.

What are the options of tires sizes that would fit on my jeep, without adding any kind of suspension?

Can I safely put on 235/75/15? Can I put on 31's? Please let me know some and/or all my options.

Has anyone ever heard anything good about CooperTire... Dynastorm AT or Autoguard SUV tires?

Thanks!!!

sanshredder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2012, 12:13 PM   #2
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

235/75/15 is roughly 29x9.5. Will fit fine but will probably appear small and skinny.

On a stock TJ you should be able to go as tall as 31 and as wide as 10.5.
Unread 04-13-2012, 12:16 PM   #3
WXman
Web Wheeler
2001 WJ 

My father had 31x10.50 on his stock TJ and it rubbed when he turned full lock but otherwise it seemed to fit OK. Definitely can't go bigger.
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2012, 12:17 PM   #4
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WXman View Post
My father had 31x10.50 on his stock TJ and it rubbed when he turned full lock but otherwise it seemed to fit OK.
That can be prevented with a couple washers under steering stops, although that will reduce turning radius a little.
Unread 04-13-2012, 08:57 PM   #5
sanshredder
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Much appreciated on the quick replies. I'd much rather have 31's if I can manage it on the stock no problem. Half of ppl say they can rub, the other half say no problem. I wouldn't crank it anyway, so I'm hoping I'd be good.

I like the Goodyear Durtrac's.. Although a tire place by me mentioned Dynastorm 31's I can get for $150 each. Any other suggestions?
sanshredder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2012, 12:48 PM   #6
Peyts
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
My father had 31x10.50 on his stock TJ and it rubbed when he turned full lock but otherwise it seemed to fit OK. Definitely can't go bigger.
I am also looking at upping the size of my tires on a stock '05 TJ, currently with 225/75R15s. I've been considering the 235s, but also feel they will still look wimpy, a was mentioned above.

I've also been looking at 30x9.5-15 and 31x10.5-15.

Will the 31s rub only on a full lock turn? How badly will they rub? What are they rubbing (fenders or something else)? Is rubbing a bad thing?
Peyts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2012, 12:58 PM   #7
Peyts
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I am also looking at upping the size of my tires on a stock '05 TJ, currently with 225/75R15s. I've been considering the 235s, but also feel they will still look wimpy, a was mentioned above.

I've also been looking at 30x9.5-15 and 31x10.5-15.

Will the 31s rub only on a full lock turn? How badly will they rub? What are they rubbing (fenders or something else)? Is rubbing a bad thing?
Unread 09-27-2012, 10:44 PM   #8
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I ran 32's stock and 33' for a couple hundred with no rubbing except at full lock. 31's will fit fine and as mentioned only thing that will happen and that's rub at full lock on the sway and lower control arms. Yeah you might have to add/adjust the stops but that's it and its maybe 50 cents and 15mins.

Tire wise I always run m/t tires but have other jeeps with a/t tires. Cooper STT will net you over 50k and has a lot of bite and a strong side wall. I have Cooper ATR's on the cherokee and they do very well on and off but less traction and wear the same as most newer m/t tires.

To each their own on tires and wheels, there are a million combos to choose and you have to look at it and drive it etc. If I had my way all jeeps would have mud tires so pick a tire that you like and will serve your needs best. Don't believe the bull**** tire tards tell you, they always want to sell ya "their" favorite plus the fact most tire shops hire idiots. Good luck either way
Unread 09-29-2012, 10:14 AM   #9
Peyts
2005 TJ Wrangler 

KKiowaTJ... thanks a million for the info & advice. Sincerely appreciated!

Will those washers/spacers affect operation of the Jeep or put any stress on other parts?
Unread 09-29-2012, 07:50 PM   #10
Rook23

Could I get some advise as well?

I currently have 31x10.5 Goodyear mt/r's on my stock 2001 wrangler sport. It is time for new tires so I purchased a 2 inch coil spacer skyjacker lift kit that I plan to install. Then i am planning on getting 33x12.50x15 mt/r's. will I Need wheel spacers??
Rook23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2012, 09:13 PM   #11
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The washers will cut your turning radius down, but not enough to have any negative problems. You might not have to add them but check at full lock first. No stress or anything for that matter will be affected by adding them.

If you have stock wheels yes you will need spacers with a 12.50 wide tire. The price of spacers are close to a new or used set of wheels depending the material. IMO get a 15x8" with 3.75 backspace and you won't have to adjust anything but bump stops. You might want to add a BL too as the kevlars run true to size. But if you adjust your bump stops you won't rub unless disconnected.
Unread 10-01-2012, 06:15 AM   #12
Peyts
2005 TJ Wrangler 

--
Unread 10-01-2012, 06:16 AM   #13
Peyts
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKiowaTJ View Post
The washers will cut your turning radius down, but not enough to have any negative problems. You might not have to add them but check at full lock first. No stress or anything for that matter will be affected by adding them.

Thanks a million for the advice and input... sincerely appreciated.

One last issue I have is regarding lifts. Would a 2" coil spacer lift do much for me? Does it allow bigger tires again (over the 31x10.5)? Does it put any stress or cause any long term problems with the suspension or other parts of the Jeep?

Thanks!!!
Unread 10-01-2012, 06:26 AM   #14
Jamie_209

I had a stock 2000 Wrangler that I had 32 10.50 15 on it. They didn't rub when turning. But there's no way you can go bigger without a lift. My 98 Wrangler I have now I bought with 31 10.50 15 pro comp all terrains and they looked good. I have since lifted it and run 33 12.50 15 Yokohama geoLanders. These tires are awesome. Not much road noise at all and out perform my super swamper tsl's offroad.
Jamie_209 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2012, 11:39 AM   #15
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peyts View Post
Thanks a million for the advice and input... sincerely appreciated.

One last issue I have is regarding lifts. Would a 2" coil spacer lift do much for me? Does it allow bigger tires again (over the 31x10.5)? Does it put any stress or cause any long term problems with the suspension or other parts of the Jeep?

Thanks!!!

The lift/spacers themselves won't but the more weight you add tire/wheel wise and accessories etc. It will cause more stress if you don't build to run whatever size you want. Motor, trans, axles etc will wear if you don't regear to put the RPM back to the original position so the jeep runs efficient.

If all you want is 31's I wouldn't worry about a lift until you go bigger. But a set of spacers and longer shocks won't harm, hurt or stress anything premature. Just make sure if you do add them to check clearance for bump stops so you don't put a tire up through your fender. You can run 33's on a BB, but a 1.25" BL would help.

Tags
tire clearance , tire fitment , tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.