Need advice on tires, lift and rims - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Need advice on tires, lift and rims

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 11-08-2013, 08:09 PM   #1
suzette
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Need advice on tires, lift and rims

Ok, female here. No clue where to start, cant do the work myself either. I have a 05 Rubicon everything stock. I don't want it to high. Can you give me advice where to start. 31's no lift? 33's with a lift? If so how high? Do i need to change the stock rims or can i keep them on for now. I like the iON Alloy style 174.
Thanks guys

suzette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2013, 08:32 PM   #2
nixer600

Well I've always liked the 33s on a tj it's a nice complement.

what terrain do you plan on wheeling on?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
nixer600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2013, 09:38 PM   #3
AntiPrius
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzette View Post
Ok, female here. No clue where to start, cant do the work myself either. I have a 05 Rubicon everything stock. I don't want it to high. Can you give me advice where to start. 31's no lift? 33's with a lift? If so how high? Do i need to change the stock rims or can i keep them on for now. I like the iON Alloy style 174.
Thanks guys
I'm actually going to replace my black steelies with Ion Alloy 174's myself when I replace my tires in the next few months.

I personally think Jeeps look good with a 3.5-4" lift and 33's as the minimum, and is fairly pretty straight forward. When lifts and tires get much bigger, it becomes much more difficult.

My lift is a Rubicon Express 3.5 (seems to be much closer to 4-4.5"), but there are plenty of of lift options. Some cheap and crappy, some cheap and decent, some more expensive and better, and some more expensive and not really better. I'm not the authority on lifts, so I won't pretend to be, Beware of the forum horn dogs though. They'll be out in full force here shortly.

In addition to that, some will want you to charge $10k on your credit card because they want to build their rig through you with their posts. Best thing to do is be clear on what you really want from your Jeep.
AntiPrius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2013, 03:00 PM   #4
suzette
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys. The Rubicon is my daily driver. Not used for off road. I just want a meatier look. I like the iONS and want 33's. Do you think i need a lift of any kind or will it be ok and no rub. If you suggest a lift. What is the minimum. I still need to get into the thing in a skirt now and then
I need advice. I don't want the shops raping me in cost for install. Thanks
Unread 11-09-2013, 04:10 PM   #5
Tylerl217
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I do minor off roading mostly dirt roads for hunting fishing and camping. I put a 2.5 in lift from rc ($300) and then 33/12.50/15 size tires but you could fit 33/10.50/15 on the original rims I believe. And since your not gonna be crawling rocks or be hard core off roading I'd say put some all terrains on. People on here hate on the rough country lift but I like it. If the ride is to rough then just replace the shocks with some bilsteins or old man emu later on.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Tylerl217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2013, 07:38 AM   #6
suzette
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Excellent. I think a 2.5 lift with 33 all terrains is where i'll start. Thank you
Unread 11-10-2013, 04:15 PM   #7
Tylerl217
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzette
Excellent. I think a 2.5 lift with 33 all terrains is where i'll start. Thank you
I got the bf Goodrich all terrains on discount tire direct and they came mounted and balanced on my new rims for free shipped to my door in two days

Unread 11-14-2013, 10:54 AM   #8
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

You could go super cheap and just get a 2" budget boost. Since your wont be offloading you don't really need much tire-fender clearance. If you want a little more, add a 1" body lift.

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2013, 07:19 PM   #9
apaTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Budget boost is a good idea since you don't have to worry about up travel much. It would save you a lot of money considering you wouldn't even need shocks. And 33s should fit ok. With a 12.50 wide tire you will need new wheels or spacers though.
apaTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2013, 07:33 PM   #10
Tylerl217
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvanwie
You could go super cheap and just get a 2" budget boost. Since your wont be offloading you don't really need much tire-fender clearance. If you want a little more, add a 1" body lift.
Won't that come out close to the $300 that the rc cost? I mean why not upgrade the coils and shocks?

Unread 11-14-2013, 07:48 PM   #11
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerl217

Won't that come out close to the $300 that the rc cost? I mean why not upgrade the coils and shocks?

Sure, but since its a Rubi I highly doubt her coils have sagged any and need to be replaced.

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.