My thoughts on Duratracs -

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 06-22-2016, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
2004 TJ Wrangler 
My thoughts on Duratracs

Just wanted to give my opinion on the Goodyear Duratracs. My Rubicon has been running BFGMT KM’s since the lift was installed in 33x12.50-15 on steel soft 8’s. They have treated me well over the years, but it was getting time for new rubber. The MT’s worked ok on the trails and dry pavement, were marginal on the wet roads,and sucked in the ice and snow. I also wanted to get my Moab’s back on, sosomething in 16’s were going to be it.

After running the Duratracs on my 03 Dodge 3500 and liking how well they worked in the ice and snow, thought I would give them a run on the Jeep. At one point, I was going to step up to 35”, but in the end, I talked myself out of it. I even had obtained some 4” springs and brake lines to accomplish this. But going to the 35” was certainly going to drive the need for a regear and better brakes.Still running the stock 4:10 gears and getting by. My 33” tires have been getting me through everything that all the larger tire rigs I run with make it through. My biggest obstacle was the POS belly skid (shovel). Over the last few years, I had been collecting everything needed for my tummy tuck (UCF High Clearance skid and engine skid, Lo-Pro, MC control arms, smaller muffler, DC shaft, Track Bar and bracket, Saavy tank skid, etc…, so I ordered the 33” Duratracs (285/76-16) and installed everything for the tummy tuck.

Well, this past weekend, I went on the annual Fathers Day run into the Manastash. Saturday was a wet, pouring rain mess. Set my tire pressures at 10psi and went for it. The Duratracs were sticking to everything. I was quite impressed. They were doing real well in the slimy mud, the slimy rocks and the wet roots. The closest thing I had to compare too was my buddy’s 04 Rubi with similar lift and running fairly new Toyo 33x12.50-15 MT’s at 10psi.There were multiple spots where he was having bad traction issues, and I was able to get through them with no problems. Sunday, the weather was much nicer, but the trails were still pretty wet in places, and more of the same results were noted. So over all, I am pretty pleased with how they performed. And the stock Moab wheels seemed to do very well at keeping the beads sealed up. I normally end up having to have my beads cleaned out after this trip when I was running the BFG’s on steel wheels, but so far, everything is looking good.

Also, having the tummy tuck and tank skid installed made a huge difference clearing obstacles. Nice to “slide” over things instead of the shovel digging in hard.

2004 Rubicon, 5-spd, RC 2.5" Lift w/RC 2.2 Shocks, 1.25" BL, MML, RC 2.2 Stabilizer, Currie Antirock, 33x12.5-15 BFG MT KMs on Black Steel Wheels, Highrock Rear Bumper, Warn Front Bumper, Warn M8000, A to Z Rocker Gaurds, Pioneer DEH P5000UB, Eclipse 4ch Amp, Infinity 6.5 and 5.5 Speakers, Factory Sub. More to come.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 Old 07-11-2016, 01:36 PM
Ah great right up. Im really considering about buying these tires for my WJ. I could get 5 for $850
post #3 of 3 Old 07-20-2016, 04:32 AM
Duratrac's are one of the best tires I've run. Very reliable off the road and still smooth and quiet on pavement.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.