My ride quality sucks, tires, lift and or shocks??? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > My ride quality sucks, tires, lift and or shocks???

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-01-2013, 08:45 AM   #16
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreemlee View Post
According to Rancho the shocks are for 2.5 to 3.5 inch lift. I shouldn't have any issues withe the current set up or if I go with a 3" spring. I've ordered 285/75's down from 315/75,s so my ride and throttle response should be great.
Becareful relying on what lift size Rancho specs the shocks for. My experience with them is that you end up a little on the short side if you do that. Measure your actual need and then look at the collapsed and extended lengths and decide for yourself which ones are correct.

Unread 07-03-2013, 02:24 AM   #17
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
I believe they did. You might want to stop recommending them.
Obviously I'd want to stop recommending them if they no longer make them. My LJ experience is from 06-12. I'm old and dated. However, even if no longer made, they might still have some left over and available.

Well then, let me say this, my LJ experience and advice is still vaild, if the parts are still available.

I assume the Rancho, OME, and Currie parts I recommended are still made, or at least available. I'm not going to spend my time checking on TJ parts availability when I no longer own a TJ, but I do apologize if some of my info is outdated.

The OP can check availability of the parts he wants. Good luck with the project.

Best wishes, Charley
Unread 07-03-2013, 02:36 AM   #18
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Becareful relying on what lift size Rancho specs the shocks for. My experience with them is that you end up a little on the short side if you do that. Measure your actual need and then look at the collapsed and extended lengths and decide for yourself which ones are correct.
Agreed.

However, if they're a little short for his 4" lift, the only issue I can see is lack of droop during hard articulation. A minor issue off road during hardcore wheeling. A non issue for mild wheeling. A non issue on road.

When he later switches to 2.5" or 3" springs, those Rancho shocks will (probably) be perfect length. If not perfect length, then close enough.

So no worrries, IMO.
Unread 07-03-2013, 05:26 AM   #19
xtreemlee
2006 LJ Wrangler 

The Rancho RS9000XL's and the Cooper Adventurer A/T3's should show up this Friday. I will keep you all posted on how it turns out.
xtreemlee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2013, 08:46 AM   #20
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
Agreed.

However, if they're a little short for his 4" lift, the only issue I can see is lack of droop during hard articulation. A minor issue off road during hardcore wheeling. A non issue for mild wheeling. A non issue on road.

When he later switches to 2.5" or 3" springs, those Rancho shocks will (probably) be perfect length. If not perfect length, then close enough.

So no worrries, IMO.
With shocks in stock mounting locations you're not really talking about "hard articulation" to have an issue. If you have 8" of travel and only end up with say 2" of droop that's going to be an issue in a lot of situations, maybe even onroad. That's the kind of issue Rancho's have if you listen to their labels. Not close enough and something to worry about, IMO.
Unread 07-03-2013, 08:46 AM   #21
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Obviously I'd want to stop recommending them if they no longer make them. My LJ experience is from 06-12. I'm old and dated. However, even if no longer made, they might still have some left over and available.

Well then, let me say this, my LJ experience and advice is still vaild, if the parts are still available.

I assume the Rancho, OME, and Currie parts I recommended are still made, or at least available. I'm not going to spend my time checking on TJ parts availability when I no longer own a TJ, but I do apologize if some of my info is outdated.

The OP can check availability of the parts he wants. Good luck with the project.

Best wishes, Charley
Had this discussion with someone else recently who did check AEV's site and he said they no longer are available for sale there.
Unread 07-03-2013, 04:59 PM   #22
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreemlee View Post
The Rancho RS9000XL's and the Cooper Adventurer A/T3's should show up this Friday. I will keep you all posted on how it turns out.
Cooper Adventurer AT3? I haven't heard of that tire. Did you mean Cooper Discoverer AT3?

Cooper Discoverer AT3 load C ride as soft as it gets for a relatively tough tire. I like mine. Rides almost like a passenger car tire.
Unread 07-03-2013, 04:59 PM   #23
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Had this discussion with someone else recently who did check AEV's site and he said they no longer are available for sale there.
OK. Good to know. Thanks.
Unread 07-03-2013, 05:02 PM   #24
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
With shocks in stock mounting locations you're not really talking about "hard articulation" to have an issue. If you have 8" of travel and only end up with say 2" of droop that's going to be an issue in a lot of situations, maybe even onroad. That's the kind of issue Rancho's have if you listen to their labels. Not close enough and something to worry about, IMO.
OK. Good to know regarding his 4" springs, but he'll soon be switching to 2.5 or 3" springs. Can we agree those shocks will be good with 2.5 or 3" springs?
Unread 07-03-2013, 06:47 PM   #25
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
OK. Good to know regarding his 4" springs, but he'll soon be switching to 2.5 or 3" springs. Can we agree those shocks will be good with 2.5 or 3" springs?
No, perhaps will have to agree to disagree but I think agreeing on any acceptable shock length based on a manufacturer label is punting on something that you as a consumer don't have to punt on. As another example of manufacturer's royally screwing things, look at what BDS and Fox provide as the "correct" length Fox shock for BDS 2" lift kit. Not even close. How hard is it to measure your jeep that is right in front of you and compare to published lengths that most manufacturers will provide and then buy the length that is right for you? Think for yourself.
Unread 07-04-2013, 12:44 AM   #26
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
No, perhaps will have to agree to disagree but I think agreeing on any acceptable shock length based on a manufacturer label is punting on something that you as a consumer don't have to punt on. As another example of manufacturer's royally screwing things, look at what BDS and Fox provide as the "correct" length Fox shock for BDS 2" lift kit. Not even close. How hard is it to measure your jeep that is right in front of you and compare to published lengths that most manufacturers will provide and then buy the length that is right for you? Think for yourself.
OK. Measure. Good idea.
Unread 07-05-2013, 04:49 AM   #27
xtreemlee
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Cooper Adventurer AT3? I haven't heard of that tire. Did you mean Cooper Discoverer AT3?

Cooper Discoverer AT3 load C ride as soft as it gets for a relatively tough tire. I like mine. Rides almost like a passenger car tire.
yep discoverer's not adventurers, duh...

Anywho I'm having buyers remorse about downsizing from 315/75's to 285/75's there is a local discount tire I wonder if they would exchange them???
Unread 07-05-2013, 03:07 PM   #28
xtreemlee
2006 LJ Wrangler 

How the heck do u get the new shocks to extend? They won't budge??? Help...

Answer unscrew them...
Unread 07-05-2013, 06:26 PM   #29
Gary2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

It took me a bunch of combinations but my 285-75-16 Cooper STT ride good now . All said and done I ended up with 28.5 lbs in the tires . Savvy control arms with Metalcloak Duroflex bushings instead of JJs . Bilstein 5100 shocks ,3" BDS springs. I tried a number of other tires , wheels , shocks , control arm joints but it behind me know and it steers fine , next to no steering correction required . I tried an Anti-rock but the body roll had ill effects on a previous steering set up and not so sure it wouldn't have similar effects on my present. Either way I sold the AR and not interested in another .
Gary2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2013, 10:07 PM   #30
xtreemlee
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Got the shocks installed today and did some road and offroad driving. Suc cess so far. I did not put the tires on going to go with 315/75's. I them set on the second to lightest setting. What an improvement.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.