My MTR/K's are too quiet - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > My MTR/K's are too quiet

Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops and

Unread 07-01-2013, 02:50 PM   #16
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo3489 View Post
Don't you want to get even wear?
Shall I take some pictures of both sets? I am religious when it comes to tire wear, rotations and pressure.

I'll say it again--14 psi is too damn low. What about that isn't making sense?

Imped is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2013, 03:00 PM   #17
Maertz
Hating Jk's Since 07'

2009 JK Wrangler 

How is it wearing even? Do you take corners at 90? Also tjs can be close to 1000 pounds heavier. Also how are you positive on the psi without even seeing it or not even having the same size tire or jeep combo?

Sent from my Prius

Last edited by Maertz; 07-01-2013 at 03:19 PM..
Maertz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2013, 03:10 PM   #18
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Shall I take some pictures of both sets? I am religious when it comes to tire wear, rotations and pressure.

I'll say it again--14 psi is too damn low. What about that isn't making sense?
OK. Here we go. Hope you can take it. Hey man, I was asking you for some good tech info as to why the chalk test doesn't work in all situations. All I got out of you was, "Well I run 24 psi in my rig and that's what everyone should run."

Well guess what. Not all jeeps and conditions are created equal. That's right they can weigh different amounts. I had 25 PSI in the tires to start did the chalk test and had chalk on the outer 1/3 of the tire on either side. Am I correct here Maertz? So to me that says WHOA!! let some pressure out of me or I'm gonna turn into a bald guy trying to sport a comb-over.

I'm not saying that 14 is what I absolutely should be running but that's what the chalk test said was good for ME.

Current Project: None... I disgust myself.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-yj-build-adventures-thread-1356941/"][SIZE="3"][B]BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
rambo3489 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2013, 03:11 PM   #19
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maertz View Post
How is it wearing even? Do you take corners at 90? Also tjs can be close to 1000 pounds heavier. Also how are you positive on the psi without even seeing it or not even having the same size tire tire or jeep combo?

Sent from my Prius
.... Your not helping me here.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-yj-build-adventures-thread-1356941/"][SIZE="3"][B]BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
Unread 07-01-2013, 03:15 PM   #20
Maertz
Hating Jk's Since 07'

2009 JK Wrangler 

Correct both outer lugs were not even touching on corners... Also your extra light with no bumper winch and all that yet. But hey hes got 17k posts lets air them up and ride it on 25 percent of the tread

Sent from my Prius
Unread 07-01-2013, 03:21 PM   #21
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

He is 100% correct that 25 area is the right the psi with 35" MTRs. BTDT. The chalk test leads to underinflation results with large tires with big side lugs.
Unread 07-01-2013, 03:22 PM   #22
jakecarder
2000 XJ Cherokee 

im no tire expert by no means but wouldnt different load range tires be different on the same vehical. lets say load range c on a 3000pound jeep runs correctly at 30 psi but if you were to go to load range e wouldnt the tire pressure be drastically lower on the same jeep?? teach me.. i know nothing when it comes to load range and all that
jakecarder is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2013, 03:25 PM   #23
Maertz
Hating Jk's Since 07'

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakecarder View Post
im no tire expert by no means but wouldnt different load range tires be different on the same vehical. lets say load range c on a 3000pound jeep runs correctly at 30 psi but if you were to go to load range e wouldnt the tire pressure be drastically lower on the same jeep?? teach me.. i know nothing when it comes to load range and all that
Thats correct but these should be the same load range only variable is the jeep weight

Sent from my Prius
Unread 07-01-2013, 03:26 PM   #24
gspup
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The chalk test is only useful to an extent. I have run 35" and 37" MTR/K's on a lightweight TJ. I ran the 35's at 24 psi in the rear and 26 psi up front. 14 is way too low, despite what the chalk test tells you. As for noise, no worries. After a few thousand miles and a rotation or two, they'll pick up.
Ya 14 is too low. I'm usually around 23 or 24, which ever number I hit first when airing up.
Unread 07-01-2013, 03:39 PM   #25
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

To an extent = not on large, wide, knobby tires with a wheel:tire width ratio of 2/3. The larger the disparity between wheel and tire width, the more useless the chalk test is. You will get good tire wear on your tires in the 23-26 psi range and 3k mile rotations. I've got ~40k miles on Kevlars alone and they've all worn beautifully.

Your YJ doesn't weigh 1k lb less.....that's absurd.

Anything else I can help you pair of geniuses with?
Imped is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2013, 03:47 PM   #26
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Imped. Thank you. Ill run somewhere in the low 20's. But if your wrong I'll burn your house to the ground in 25,000 miles.

Maertz your still an idiot.

Unread 07-01-2013, 03:49 PM   #27
Maertz
Hating Jk's Since 07'

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
To an extent = not on large, wide, knobby tires with a wheel:tire width ratio of 2/3. The larger the disparity between wheel and tire width, the more useless the chalk test is. You will get good tire wear on your tires in the 23-26 psi range and 3k mile rotations. I've got ~40k miles on Kevlars alone and they've all worn beautifully.

Your YJ doesn't weigh 1k lb less.....that's absurd.

Anything else I can help you pair of geniuses with?
It could be close to 1k as just off the stock vehicle weight can be 800lbs more and if you have a winch or front bumper there's probably your other 200 lbs

Sent from my Prius
Unread 07-01-2013, 03:55 PM   #28
ssquier92
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo3489 View Post
Ur an idiot. Let the pros handle this one. Despite what we think we're still pretty green in the wheeling world.

Sent from my phone because I'm doing something "more important"
I run about 26psi in mine. 14psi is way too low and with enough corners you will lose the side lugs.. Mine have over 20k on them and besides all the chunks from rocks, are wearing perfectly even. I can imagine your jeep probably isn't driving all that well with that low of a pressure in them either.
2002 TJ 3.25" RC lift, 1.25 BL, MML, 33X12.50 Goodyear MTR w/ Kevlar, adjustable front trac bar, cut stock bumper, poison hood louver, B&M short shifter, chromoly rear axle shafts in the d44 4.88s Grizzly locker, Aussie locker up front in d30,10,500lb winch w/ synthetic rope, antirock, jcr sliders, savvy arms

Work harder, thousands of people on welfare are counting on you.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/ssquier92s-02-tj-build-thread-1142141/index4.html"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/ssquier92s-02-tj-build-thread-1142141/index4.html[/URL]
ssquier92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2013, 03:58 PM   #29
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maertz View Post
It could be close to 1k as just off the stock vehicle weight can be 800lbs more and if you have a winch or front bumper there's probably your other 200 lbs

Sent from my Prius
... He's right

Unread 07-01-2013, 04:00 PM   #30
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssquier92 View Post
I run about 26psi in mine. 14psi is way too low and with enough corners you will lose the side lugs.. Mine have over 20k on them and besides all the chunks from rocks, are wearing perfectly even. I can imagine your jeep probably isn't driving all that well with that low of a pressure in them either.
Yea. But its not from the low pressure. Its from the spool.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.