Mud tires - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Mud tires

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 04-26-2013, 11:44 AM   #31
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackJaw View Post
$250...Procomp are almost always on buy 3 get 1 at 4wp...not sure if these new ones are yet, but they gave me that deal at a grand opening event here in my town.

I was looking at catalog recently and saw they come with a 40,000 no questions warranty...which I purchased as well.

Wet traction is great, dirt traction is great. And rock chips seem to be comparable to KM2s I compared on my buddies rig last weekend.
Thanks,I'm going to check those out.

TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2013, 11:53 AM   #32
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I love my MTZs. Decent in mud, but really no better than most tires like KM2s and MTRs. I don't daily drive on them anymore, but they wore well when I was.

I have bias ply Rockers and hate them. Do not get bias ply Pitbull Rockers if you don't have beadlocks. I can't run my comfortably below 6 psi, and the sidewalls don't start flexing until about 2 psi, so they don't hook in rocks, and I haven't really been impressed by their performance in the mud either. Plus they ride like **** on road. If I had beadlocks I'm sure they would work better, but why should a $1700 set of tires need a $1400 set of rims to work well?
Jankoid is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2013, 12:13 PM   #33
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Nitto Mud Grapplers are another option not mentioned yet.

They do pretty well in the mud.

I would describe Mud Grapplers as a slightly more road friendly SS Bogger.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2013, 01:30 PM   #34
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Thanks,I'm going to check those out.
I never had an issue with my Pro Comp tires, in fact I rather liked them. However their prices have gone up quite a bit and unless you can get a buy 3 get one free deal on them they are overpriced IMO.

I got my MTRs pretty darn cheap, between the Goodyear rebate and 100$ off promotion Discount Tire was running at the time it was a pretty easy choice. Even compared to a buy 3 get one free I think they still came out cheaper than Pro Comp.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2013, 01:42 PM   #35
SlackJaw
baby jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier93 View Post
I never had an issue with my Pro Comp tires, in fact I rather liked them. However their prices have gone up quite a bit and unless you can get a buy 3 get one free deal on them they are overpriced IMO.

I got my MTRs pretty darn cheap, between the Goodyear rebate and 100$ off promotion Discount Tire was running at the time it was a pretty easy choice. Even compared to a buy 3 get one free I think they still came out cheaper than Pro Comp.
I wasn't seeing that when pricing out the new MTRs, but I was also looking at 16" options as well, so I had a lot of high numbers floating around.

As far as your assessment of the ProComp price point, I wonder if you are comparing experience of the old ProComp MTs or the new ones, because my inclination is that there is as much difference there as there is between the old MTRs (which sucked bawls in every aspect) and the new ones which seem to be the best thing going.

IMO, 4 Procomp Xtreme MT2s for $750 is the best buy out there...now if your deal on the new MTRs was better than that, then I would consider myself incorrect by all means.
SlackJaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2013, 01:59 PM   #36
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
... the old MTRs (which sucked bawls in every aspect) and the new ones which seem to be the best thing going....
The old MTRs were awesome tires.

Sounds like you are talking specifically about the 245/75/16 MTR that came stock on the Rubi models. That tire did suck, it was nothing like the aftermarket MTRs.
Unread 04-26-2013, 02:03 PM   #37
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I wasn't seeing that when pricing out the new MTRs, but I was also looking at 16" options as well, so I had a lot of high numbers floating around.

As far as your assessment of the ProComp price point, I wonder if you are comparing experience of the old ProComp MTs or the new ones, because my inclination is that there is as much difference there as there is between the old MTRs (which sucked bawls in every aspect) and the new ones which seem to be the best thing going.

IMO, 4 Procomp Xtreme MT2s for $750 is the best buy out there...now if your deal on the new MTRs was better than that, then I would consider myself incorrect by all means.
For continuity I compare prices of a 15" wheel, just because that's what I have.

Your 750$ isn't including mounting/balancing or tax (if applicable). I honestly can't remember what I payed for my MTRs but I know at the time 4 Wheel Parts was running their buy 3 get 1 free on Pro Comp tires and when I compared the out the door prices the MTRs were marginally more expensive. Based on reviews I thought the MTR was a better tire and after having them a couple years I still think they are better.

If I hadn't gotten such a good deal the the MTRs I probably would have gone with Pro Comps though.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2013, 02:25 PM   #38
RedRyderXJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

I don't like pro comp tires. Don't know about the new Mt2's but their sidewalls are crap.
RedRyderXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2013, 04:10 PM   #39
bigchris66

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier93

For continuity I compare prices of a 15" wheel, just because that's what I have.

Your 750$ isn't including mounting/balancing or tax (if applicable). I honestly can't remember what I payed for my MTRs but I know at the time 4 Wheel Parts was running their buy 3 get 1 free on Pro Comp tires and when I compared the out the door prices the MTRs were marginally more expensive. Based on reviews I thought the MTR was a better tire and after having them a couple years I still think they are better.

If I hadn't gotten such a good deal the the MTRs I probably would have gone with Pro Comps though.
How are those MTRs
bigchris66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2013, 06:18 PM   #40
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

For a radial, Nitto Mud Grapplers are my first choice and I will get another set.

You can't beat a Bogger for a Bias Mud tire.

A Pitbull Rocker is a great trail tire. They are OK in mud.

I'll never run a BFG KM2 again. They where one of the worst MT/offroad tires Ive ever ran. They are over rated, Over priced, and underperforming.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
SLADE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2013, 06:25 PM   #41
bigchris66

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLADE
For a radial, Nitto Mud Grapplers are my first choice and I will get another set.

You can't beat a Bogger for a Bias Mud tire.

A Pitbull Rocker is a great trail tire. They are OK in mud.

I'll never run a BFG KM2 again. They where one of the worst MT/offroad tires Ive ever ran. They are over rated, Over priced, and underperforming.
How are the mud grapplers
bigchris66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2013, 07:13 PM   #42
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchris66 View Post
They made the BFG KM2s I ran before them look like an all season.

I'm very impressed with them.They dig and clean out easily at low wheel speed. They have impressed me in the snow and on wet roads. They have good lateral traction. I'll get another set after these wear out.

The only thing I can say about them that may be a problem for some,.... They are loud and heavy.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
SLADE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2013, 07:17 PM   #43
SlackJaw
baby jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier93 View Post
Your 750$ isn't including mounting/balancing..
Why yes, it is ...
Unread 04-27-2013, 11:42 AM   #44
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchris66 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLADE View Post
They made the BFG KM2s I ran before them look like an all season.

I'm very impressed with them.They dig and clean out easily at low wheel speed. They have impressed me in the snow and on wet roads. They have good lateral traction. I'll get another set after these wear out.

The only thing I can say about them that may be a problem for some,.... They are loud and heavy.
I agree, Mud grapplers are loud and heavy. And they do clean pretty well.

They do not impress me on wet or snowy roads though and my center lugs are siped.
Unread 04-28-2013, 06:50 PM   #45
FunkyJeepz
2004 LJ Wrangler 

On my jeep I had bfg all terrains that lasted 70k and still had 40% tread left, but last weekend we got 33x12.50 km2s. By the possibility of getting 100k out if tires from 07 is why I like bfg. The mud terrains are pretty quiet and a lot smoother on my jeep.
FunkyJeepz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.