Mud Tires - Page 15 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Mud Tires

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 07-09-2007, 11:47 PM   #211
Jakemd98
Choosy moms choose jeep.

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyna
I cant even imagine how some of you run 3.07`s and 33`s. Your 4 low must be like my 4 hi which is worthless in the rocks.
hit that nail right on the head... which is why it's a good thing that all my wheeling counts on tire speed to perform successfully.

97 Jeep Wrangler
4.0, 5 speed AX-15, D44 & Ford 8.8 w/Detroit - 4.88, NP-231, OME 2.5" coils w/1.25" spacers on front, 1.25" JKS BL, 35X12.50R15 KM2 on 15x8 Eagle alloys, Banks Header, Banks Monster Exhaust, Brown Dog MML, Rhino Liner, Tuffy Glove Box, AtoZ Rockers, Optima Red Top Battery.

1998 GMC Yukon

Wilmington weekly 4x4 meet
Jakemd98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2007, 02:27 PM   #212
Princessmeatwad
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman9089

I got to see these in person when I went to go buy my tires. I didn't think it was possible to have a mixture of A/T and M/T, but Cooper did it.

What makes this tire a "Mud Tire" are how deep the lugs are. I looked at the Cooper ST side by side with a BFG A/T (which I considered at the time the most aggressive A/T, and found that the only difference seems to be a bit bigger lugs, a little less siping, yet a deep tread. This is a good combo that I would recommend anyone. In all honesty the pics don't do it justice. It's much more aggressive in person, much more aggressive than the BFG A/T. The one that I saw was a 31" size...just imagine something bigger.

So if you really want an M/T but still want excellent road characteristics, you really should put this Cooper ST in your top spot of consideration. If you don't think it's aggressive enough (like I did before), go see one in person.

At this time I went and bought the Cooper STTs, since they're a bit more aggressive than the ST. However the ST would probably be my second choice. Yet, I think that the Cooper STT is one of the sexiest tires out there, and I can't wait to mount it to the jeep (in a couple weeks). It also took very little weight to balance. I think the stock 'Get-Stuck-Anywhere' tires took more weight to balance. Here's a pic:

That is a 33x12.50R15 size. And they're amazing in person. I love 'em already.
Not to be nit-picky, but just so nobody orders the wrong set of tires those are the discoverer STT, which are considered a mud-terrain (and great tires i might add), and cooper also makes an ST Which actually is an all-terrain, the tread is much less aggressive than the stt, also a great tire though.
Princessmeatwad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2007, 12:37 AM   #213
dyna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakemd98
hit that nail right on the head... which is why it's a good thing that all my wheeling counts on tire speed to perform successfully.
Mud whompin, pedal to the metal style?
dyna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2007, 09:58 AM   #214
Jakemd98
Choosy moms choose jeep.

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyna
Mud whompin, pedal to the metal style?
and sand... need momentum and some wheel speed for that

97 Jeep Wrangler
4.0, 5 speed AX-15, D44 & Ford 8.8 w/Detroit - 4.88, NP-231, OME 2.5" coils w/1.25" spacers on front, 1.25" JKS BL, 35X12.50R15 KM2 on 15x8 Eagle alloys, Banks Header, Banks Monster Exhaust, Brown Dog MML, Rhino Liner, Tuffy Glove Box, AtoZ Rockers, Optima Red Top Battery.

1998 GMC Yukon

Unread 07-25-2007, 09:00 PM   #215
Haleyes
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Maxxis Bighorn update:

I've ran them 6000 miles now. I rotate every 3000 miles. I took a measurement with a tread guage today. They read 17/32. New, they are 19/32. I have 5 of them and rotate in my spare. Spare reads 18/32.
I have no complaints at all, I still love them. The Jeep is my DD/weekend warrior. Bighorns are 33x12.5x15's. Just thought I'd share.

Hale

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...d/100_5140.jpg
Haleyes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2007, 12:17 AM   #216
sardog12
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
Correct on all counts but while the MT/Rs were not designed for mud, they're much better in mud than rumor indicates they are. They have a wide open tread design that clears just fine with proper tire spin. The MT/R's main forte is how well it does on rocks plus its exceptional sidewall strength but it still does ok in mud. But if you do do mostly mud, then of course there are better tires for mud than the MT/R.
Sorry, but due to my last experience with these, I must disagree. This may be true for the California mud, but here in La, on our last rainy trip, they were almost the worst tire out there. With two vehicles, they absolutely would clog up and not clear out with any tire spin. Also, they would not hook up to go up a hill like the other treads out there. We were doing a good amount of strapping in one spot that day (it was done raining, but was still extremely slick) and both times we had to use Jeeps with MT/Rs, we tried them repeatedly then had to get them out of the way in favor of Jeeps that could get better traction. Even my stocker with the 31" STTs cleaned out and performed better. The only tire that didn't fair better than them was the stock tires on a FJ Cruiser. The other FJ had Bridgestone Revos and it did much better over the same terrain. Of course, we don't have much rocks this far south, but as far as mud and trail riding goes in this region, I would agree that there are many other tires I would choose over the MT/R.
Unread 07-30-2007, 04:34 PM   #217
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddeprived
Try searching for "32x11.5" in this forum. You'll get alot of hits on different brands and which are affordable. Kumho makes a 32" tire if i'm correct and they are affordable, yet very good tire.
Kumho Road Venture MT KL71, 32x11.50-15 here.

Front view

Side view, in action. Dem dere side lugs ain't no bling-bling. Grip like claws

Like the STT, they're a ncie combination of MT and AT, with more emphasis on MT mud clearing. The only medium I have not tried them on is snow and ice. The image that TireRack uses for their product page is sorely lacking. Does absolutely no justice to the tire.
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2007, 01:17 PM   #218
texasjeep07
1999 TJ Wrangler 

i have kumhos too!

texasjeep07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2007, 02:28 PM   #219
bman9089
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princessmeatwad
Not to be nit-picky, but just so nobody orders the wrong set of tires those are the discoverer STT, which are considered a mud-terrain (and great tires i might add), and cooper also makes an ST Which actually is an all-terrain, the tread is much less aggressive than the stt, also a great tire though.
I said these were STTs in my post. You can read it on the sidewall.

Sorry for any confusion though.

But if I had to pick an all terrain, I would pick the Cooper ST over the BFG just for tread depth.

Here's an update on the STTs concerning rain:

I've gotten caught up in a few HUGE rain storms here the last few weeks and these tires out performed my old stock wrangler GSAs. The storms caused flash flooding in my area (which is rare for colorado), and I went through some deep water and didn't slide around at all. My old wrangler GSAs would have hydroplaned. So far these tires have been better in all areas I've tested them. Naturally, off road they've been great.

Once winter comes around, and I get into some snow I'll report in on how well they do considering how hard it is to find experience from others who drive M/Ts in snow.

Feel free to PM me with any questions.

"The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville

“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it” -- Mark Twain

† Christian Jeep Club †
Romans 12:5 | 1 Peter 3:15 | Matthew 9:37-38

Last edited by bman9089; 08-10-2007 at 02:56 PM..
bman9089 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2007, 05:51 PM   #220
Mooman
1998 ZJ 

Well after reading all 15 pages twice, and from personal experience....... I have concluded that the very best all around tires are cooper stt, interco thornbirds, swamper trxus, MTRs, Kumhos, bridgestone duelers, and winterforce.
Unread 08-14-2007, 07:10 PM   #221
Jakemd98
Choosy moms choose jeep.

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooman
Well after reading all 15 pages twice, and from personal experience....... I have concluded that the very best all around tires are cooper stt, interco thornbirds, swamper trxus, MTRs, Kumhos, bridgestone duelers, and winterforce.
????????? thornbirds???? and where's bfg?

not trying to diss ya, but the thornbirds really threw me off, from what i hear they are the most worthless tires out there. and as far as BFG muds, i personally think that they are one of the best all around mud tires... they performed awesome on the road (except wet), they are really quiet on the road, they wear well, and off road they will run with anything but swampers.

like i say not trying to diss ya, just confused by your conclusion.

97 Jeep Wrangler

1998 GMC Yukon

Unread 08-15-2007, 04:19 PM   #222
Mooman
1998 ZJ 

No confusion here, if you could have seen the places that the thornbirds took me to and got me out of, you would buy some. Same places with the bfg tkos got stuck almost immediately and had to be pulled out. Bfgs are worthless.
Unread 08-15-2007, 09:10 PM   #223
Jakemd98
Choosy moms choose jeep.

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooman
No confusion here, if you could have seen the places that the thornbirds took me to and got me out of, you would buy some. Same places with the bfg tkos got stuck almost immediately and had to be pulled out. Bfgs are worthless.
the BFG T/A KO's are all terrains, not mud terrains though. when in sloppy sticky mud the T/A KO's will pack up really fast and become worthless. the T/A KM is not like the T/A KO in this case.

97 Jeep Wrangler

1998 GMC Yukon

Unread 08-16-2007, 05:33 PM   #224
Mooman
1998 ZJ 

I meant the mud terrain. The names are so close! lol
Unread 09-02-2007, 03:55 PM   #225
96jeepman
1996 ZJ 

not a lot of people have talked about Maxxis Bighorns can anyone review? and i know this is a newb question but what is sipping?

Last edited by 96jeepman; 09-02-2007 at 05:34 PM..
96jeepman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
m/t , mt , mud , mud terrain , mud tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.