Mud Tires - Page 14 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Mud Tires

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 05-14-2007, 06:39 PM   #196
Muddeprived

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96jeepman
why is that alot of companys dont make 32's
Demand? Although it may seem to be a well-used tire size here but for the average tire buyer, it's not. Personally i don't think 32's are worth it. For just a couple dollars more, you can get 33's.

Flux Capacitor Heat Machine
Muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2007, 09:42 PM   #197
96jeepman
1996 ZJ 

who makes an afordable Mt tire that i can get 32's that still look aggressive
96jeepman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2007, 09:50 PM   #198
Muddeprived

Quote:
Try searching for "32x11.5" in this forum. You'll get alot of hits on different brands and which are affordable. Kumho makes a 32" tire if i'm correct and they are affordable, yet very good tire.
Flux Capacitor Heat Machine
Muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2007, 10:25 AM   #199
KrazyGimp
1982 CJ5 

Quote:
I've been looking into some Super Swamper's to replace my Timberline MT's when they wear out. You can get a 32 x 10.50 TSL Radial for around $138 a piece, which is not a bad price. Actually you can get it in a 31, 32 or 33 by 10.50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK
...that's why you push in that little nipple (hehe.. I said nipple on the internet :D )
KrazyGimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2007, 04:22 PM   #200
BIG BUBBA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

tires

go with the swampers, you can't go wrong with them in the mud
BIG BUBBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2007, 07:33 PM   #201
bman9089
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB3
The Cooper Discoverer ST is an excellent tire that is a cross breed between an all terrain tire and a mud tire. It's a 50/50 mix and belongs in both categories. I love this tire. It's OK on ice. On all other surfaces, it is excellent. It's also reasonably quiet too. It makes about the same small noise that my BFG ATs did. That is quiet enough. It is WAY QUIETER than the Goodyear Wrangler MTRs I had.

The Cooper Discoverer ST is both an all terrain tire and a mud tire that is actually good at both. Check it out.

I got to see these in person when I went to go buy my tires. I didn't think it was possible to have a mixture of A/T and M/T, but Cooper did it.

What makes this tire a "Mud Tire" are how deep the lugs are. I looked at the Cooper ST side by side with a BFG A/T (which I considered at the time the most aggressive A/T, and found that the only difference seems to be a bit bigger lugs, a little less siping, yet a deep tread. This is a good combo that I would recommend anyone. In all honesty the pics don't do it justice. It's much more aggressive in person, much more aggressive than the BFG A/T. The one that I saw was a 31" size...just imagine something bigger.

So if you really want an M/T but still want excellent road characteristics, you really should put this Cooper ST in your top spot of consideration. If you don't think it's aggressive enough (like I did before), go see one in person.

At this time I went and bought the Cooper STTs, since they're a bit more aggressive than the ST. However the ST would probably be my second choice. Yet, I think that the Cooper STT is one of the sexiest tires out there, and I can't wait to mount it to the jeep (in a couple weeks). It also took very little weight to balance. I think the stock 'Get-Stuck-Anywhere' tires took more weight to balance. Here's a pic:

That is a 33x12.50R15 size. And they're amazing in person. I love 'em already.

(And if you live in Colorado, especially near colorado springs, let me know. I know an EXCELLENT tire store, wonderful all around: Rex Tire in Colorado Springs.)

"The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville

“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it” -- Mark Twain

† Christian Jeep Club †
Romans 12:5 | 1 Peter 3:15 | Matthew 9:37-38
bman9089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2007, 07:24 AM   #202
IPB
2007 JK Wrangler 

Would these be any good in sand?
02 Sportsman 400 4x4 (the wifes)
IPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2007, 07:32 AM   #203
ajmorell

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPB
Would these be any good in sand?

Typically for sand, the less aggressive the tread the better. All-Terrains usually fare better in sand than MTs because they don't dig as much.
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2007, 07:34 AM   #204
ajmorell

Quote:
Do trxus Mt's not come in 32x11.5 i cant find them anywhere?
No but their 31 measures taller than most.
Unread 06-25-2007, 11:27 AM   #205
jsmorris
Director of Philosophy

I currently have Bridgestone Dueller M/Ts in 31x10.50. They have about 40K in wear, and are needing replacement before winter.

I like the look of the TrXus STS tire, but I don't find any reviews other than on the tire sites. Has anyone used these? I've heard they can have balancing issues, and they are not so good in the mud. I want tires for 90% road use, and 10% offroad consisting of rocks, sand, and pea gravel mostly....only slight mud. Other considerations at this time are a new set of Duellers and Goodyear MT/Rs. I am in Indiana, so I need something that is good in the snow. I plan to lift sometime in the next 3-4 years and would like to not purchase tires again until then (~12000mi/yr).

FYI, at the moment I am leaning toward MT/Rs since they come highly recommended.

'89 Grand Wagoneer
jsmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2007, 12:01 AM   #206
dyna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddeprived
Demand? Although it may seem to be a well-used tire size here but for the average tire buyer, it's not. Personally i don't think 32's are worth it. For just a couple dollars more, you can get 33's.
I wouldent run 33`s on my TJ with 4.0/ 3.73`s if you gave me a new set free, Id consider buying 32`s though, but know better at that with the loss of power and offroad ability 31`s gave it.. I cant even imagine how some of you run 3.07`s and 33`s. Your 4 low must be like my 4 hi which is worthless in the rocks.
dyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2007, 11:19 AM   #207
DaOne
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I'm caught between 3 tires at the moment. BFG MTs, Goodyear MT/Rs, and TrXus MT.

I currently have the BFG MTs and like them alot (they can be tricky in the rain, but I don't mind). 30k miles on them and more than 1/2 life left. I am going to move up to 35s, which is the only reason I am replacing them.

I like the look of the TrXus and GY MT/Rs, and they both seem to perform well on/off road according to what I have read. 80% of my driving is on the road (DD). Offroading is moderate with some rocks/mud. My main concern would be tread life, street/highway performance, rain, snow, mud, rocks...in that order. I guess I am looking for a good all around tire with tread life comparable to the BFGs.

TIA

I miss my Jeep. On the hunt for a replacement.
DaOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2007, 11:36 AM   #208
ajmorell

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOne
I'm caught between 3 tires at the moment. BFG MTs, Goodyear MT/Rs, and TrXus MT.

I currently have the BFG MTs and like them alot (they can be tricky in the rain, but I don't mind). 30k miles on them and more than 1/2 life left. I am going to move up to 35s, which is the only reason I am replacing them.

I like the look of the TrXus and GY MT/Rs, and they both seem to perform well on/off road according to what I have read. 80% of my driving is on the road (DD). Offroading is moderate with some rocks/mud. My main concern would be tread life, street/highway performance, rain, snow, mud, rocks...in that order. I guess I am looking for a good all around tire with tread life comparable to the BFGs.

TIA

You aren't going to find anything with comparable tread life to the BFGs. If you wheel mud, even a little, I would stray away from MTRs since they are not made for mud. I have a set of Trxus MTs and have been very happy with them, but I will tell you that they will not last as long as your BFGs
Unread 07-05-2007, 12:01 PM   #209
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmorell
You If you wheel mud, even a little, I would stray away from MTRs since they are not made for mud. I have a set of Trxus MTs and have been very happy with them, but I will tell you that they will not last as long as your BFGs
Correct on all counts but while the MT/Rs were not designed for mud, they're much better in mud than rumor indicates they are. They have a wide open tread design that clears just fine with proper tire spin. The MT/R's main forte is how well it does on rocks plus its exceptional sidewall strength but it still does ok in mud. But if you do do mostly mud, then of course there are better tires for mud than the MT/R.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2007, 10:43 PM   #210
Mudcat4151
1999 TJ Wrangler 

So Jerry what tires are you talking about when it comes to mud? Just curious.
Mudcat4151 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.