mud terrain tires - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > mud terrain tires

ExtremeTerrain has Daystar Wrangler Parts!Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 12-07-2004, 01:55 PM   #1
gmbtj

mud terrain tires

I am getting some 32 inch tires to go with my teraflex 3t lift. What I want to know is which mud terrain tires are the best on the road because that is where most of my driving is. I go to my dad's every few weekends(400 mile round trip) and go about 55 all the way to school every day(about 20 miles away). As you can see, the jeep sees alot of higher speeds. I go offroad as much as possible and it rains alot around here so it sees quite a bit of muddy conditions. should i just ditch the idea of m/t's and get a/t's or should i stay with the m/t's? I need to know asap b/c the lift is going on this weekend. What are the difference between pro comp's m/t and bfg's m/t also? I want a good tire that will last for a while and also one that is the quietest (m/t) on the road. Please help and thanks in advance.

Gun Metal Blue Jeep Club Member #1
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club Member #1 (President)
1999 Four Banga Wrangla - NO MORE!!!! -Going in 4.6L Stroker - TF 727 - Dana 300 HD
Teraflex 3T w/ OME's on 32" BFG M/T's
AtoZ Yaffy Style rocker guards l Tuffy Series II Security Console l Zirgo "S-Blade" electric fan l PSC Trail corners w/ LED's l Hella 500's l Expensive Sound System
gmbtj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2004, 02:16 PM   #2
HIPPER

I have heard very good things about the Interco TrXus M/T. They are quiet on the road and very good off road. They also have siping so they excell in the rain and snow/ice. People say they are getting about 30,000 miles out of them too.

This is probably the tire that I will be going with

Check out www.hippshobbies.com for all your 4x4 needs. Our product line is constantly growing so I can get you almost anything you want, just e-mail me your request and I'll get you a quote brandon@hippshobbies.com

HAVE A GREAT DAY!
HIPPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2004, 04:48 PM   #3
sbninja
2004 TJ Wrangler 

My 32x11.50 Dunlop Mud Rovers are awesome! best price for M/T's they are quiet for long trips and offer great traction.
15x8 Tech1 Rock Crawlers (4.5" BS)
35"x12.50x15 Dunlop Radial Mud Rovers
Aussie locked 30/ Ultimate 35 kit w/detroit

Black Jeep Club v2.0 Member #49
See Jeep Here
And here
sbninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2004, 06:09 PM   #4
sbninja
2004 TJ Wrangler 

check out this review!

http://www.rockcrawler.com/techrepor...vers/index.asp
15x8 Tech1 Rock Crawlers (4.5" BS)
35"x12.50x15 Dunlop Radial Mud Rovers
Aussie locked 30/ Ultimate 35 kit w/detroit

Black Jeep Club v2.0 Member #49
See Jeep Here
And here
sbninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2004, 06:44 PM   #5
fisher446

My friend has some 32x11.50 BFG muds, and they are some quiet tires. THey still have the big aggressive tred, they work great on and off road. I plan on getting a set of 33x12.50's as soon as i get my lift.
fisher446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2004, 03:00 PM   #6
bmxpunk1369

kumho mt's, cheap, quite, good in all terrains i have hit, not great in wet weather if u have a heavy foot and crappy shocks as they tend to slide a little over bumps. But for 80 bucks a peice who cares, just drive like an old man and ull be set
bmxpunk1369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2004, 06:36 PM   #7
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

I've had the BFG and Bridgestone MTs. Both are really good on and offroad.

Check the sale items on www.4wheelparts.com and you'll find some deals that are cheaper than if you bought the 4 tires out in town.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2004, 07:31 PM   #8
dakuda
Admin, Jeep in Pieces

1998 TJ Wrangler 

TrXus M/T's are great off road tires as far as a noise and performance compromise. However, they will wear out much faster the All Terrain tires. I drive 50 miles a day to work, and after7 months so far, I'll probably be looking for new tires by April or so.

If you want tires that will last you a decent amount of time, I would suggest ATs. You're likely to get 15-12k more miles off of them. But the performance off road is much better with the M/T's.....

Darn trade offs

2013 Dodge Charger | 1998 Jeep Wrangler | Ramsey Winches | www.dakuda.com
dakuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2004, 02:50 PM   #9
andromeda
2000 XJ Cherokee 

alot of the replies are all good advice. to narrow it down ATs are great if you do most of your driving on road; they last longer and are quiter. most like the look of the MTs but depending on brand have the highway humm and wear out noticeably faster. the Dunlop MTs and the Kuhmo Venture MTs i'd put in the same category due to build and cost. although the Kuhmo's tread pattern looks similar to the BFG and Goodyear MTs, leaning towards those. for what your saying the ATs are the way to go, but the look of MTs are probably what you want. i was in this same situation and went with the MTs, don't regret it at all. of course MTs will wear out quicker. i have the ProComp MTs and they've lasted me about 35K miles. i'm going with the Kuhmos or Dunlops next or now as i'm buying tires in the next week or so. www.tirerack.com has lots of customer reviews on tires they carry. i suggest checking them out to help you decide. good luck.
andromeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2004, 06:00 PM   #10
WVZJ
1998 ZJ 

BFG MTs, they have great tread wear and street manners, they are good off-road as well, especially in the east where mud is more of a factor. They have also performed real well for me on the rocks. I would def buy another set, except the next ones will be 35's.
07 Ram 2500 5.9 ctd
WVZJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.