Mtrs? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Mtrs?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 04-07-2014, 08:53 AM   #1
Chase0808
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Mtrs?

How are the goodyear mtrs? I want to get new tires and I'm thinking mtrs are the way to go.

Sent from my Tj

Chase0808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2014, 09:03 AM   #2
IlliniJeeper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

They're one of the best tires on the market as an all-purpose off-road tire with decent on-road behavior.

The complaint I had with my MT/Rs were with the amount of road noise and how the stiff sidewalls contributed to a pretty harsh ride. I don't off-road enough to warrant dealing with the more unpleasant characteristics of the MT/Rs, so when they finally needed to be replaced I opted for the Goodyear Duratracs instead.
Unread 04-07-2014, 09:35 AM   #3
MikeHupka
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I second IlliniJeeper. I have the MTRs on my TJ now and they are very noisy on pavement. They also posed a problem for balancing for the tire shop. I assumed it was just a bad tire guy until some other members in my club got them as well and all experienced the same proble. At different shops. Off road I have nothing but good things to say about them. Excellent tire. However for the price versus some of the others out there I will be switching to a different tire when the time comes.

Sorry for spelling and grammar. I'm sending from my phone at work
Unread 04-07-2014, 09:53 AM   #4
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Best multi-use tire out there right now. The balancing issues are the problem though. Personally had three sets with no problems, but others have had a horrible time. Oh, no idea what people are talking about when they say noisy. Yes, more noise than a street tire or an AT, but compared to a real MT they are nice and quiet IMO.
Unread 04-07-2014, 09:59 AM   #5
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Best tires I have ever owned offroad but it really sucks to balance them. Im at 30k ish and am at about 40% or better. Always rotated, mechanical locked and dd driven.
Unread 04-07-2014, 09:59 AM   #6
REDLYNER
Mall Crawling Race Rig

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Best multi-use tire out there right now. The balancing issues are the problem though. Personally had three sets with no problems, but others have had a horrible time. Oh, no idea what people are talking about when they say noisy. Yes, more noise than a street tire or an AT, but compared to a real MT they are nice and quiet IMO.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. My mtr's were silent compared to my Pitbull Rockers. Plus, the sidewall on the MTR/K's are the softest I have wheeled on, I popped two of them due to sidewall issues in a year. Never had a flat on any of the 7 other brands of tires I have run. That said, it was a great all around tire.

I just switched from MTR/K's to Hankook Dynapros and I absolutely love them. Huge for a 37", quiet on the street, and has been outstanding on the trail.

REDLYNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2014, 10:01 AM   #7
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDLYNER View Post
I just switched from MTR/K's to Hankook Dynapros and I absolutely love them. Huge for a 37", quiet on the street, and has been outstanding on the trail.
Sponsorship is a nice thing. You've done an amazing job marketing yourself. You should teach a class.
Unread 04-07-2014, 10:01 AM   #8
AntiPrius
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I've heard enough issues with balancing and out of round tires with the MTR that I'm going with Mickey Thompson MTZ's here in a few months. I've heard of no issues with those...yet. They are also cheaper, at least in my area. My second choice would be the Cooper STT, and even the Hankook Dynapro MT seems pretty good and I've seen those as low as $169 for a 33x12.5x15.
AntiPrius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2014, 11:44 AM   #9
robncar
We Got The Cup, AGAIN!!!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

First off, lets separate the wheat from the chaff just to be clear...

When you say "MT/R", you mean the "new" one that is "with Kevlar", I've run both the old and the new. I like the new ones, especially offroad. I lost a few sidewalls with the original MT/R but not the new w/Kevlar.

Just make sure you get a "C" load rating, such as the 35x12.50x15. I just had mine balanced and they were able to get them to 0/0 and I can't run stick-on wheel weights due to my front brake rotors. One tip would be buy them at a place that includes lifetime balance... I re-balance at each rotation. Noise? Driving a TJ with the top off is going to be noisy... I kinda subscribe to the bikers statement, "loud pipes save lives".

Old MT/R's:

New MT/R w/Kevlar:

robncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2014, 10:43 AM   #10
CJ7nvrstk
1985 CJ7 

I want to give them a go as they have a good rep offroad but not the best as for balancing. Lifetime balancing will be a must when I try them. Great prices now too, $200 for a 35x12.50-15! Makes me glad I have 15s on both my JKU and CJ.
Unread 04-08-2014, 12:18 PM   #11
Chase0808
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Why are they a pain to balance?

Sent from my Tj
Chase0808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2014, 12:21 PM   #12
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase0808 View Post
Why are they a pain to balance?

Sent from my Tj
That's the $64,000 question. If somebody can answer that I'm sure GY would be interested.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.