AT/MT Hybrid Tires - The best daily driver tires for weekend warriors, IMO. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > AT/MT Hybrid Tires - The best daily driver tires for weekend warriors, IMO.

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 01-16-2008, 01:31 AM   #1
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

AT/MT Hybrid Tires - The best daily driver tires for weekend warriors, IMO.

My favorite daily driver tires for year round use in all conditions are the Mastercraft CT and Mickey Thompson ATZ. Those are my favorite tires that each have a large range of sizes. Speed Ratings: The 285/75R15 CT is rated for 87 mph, the ATZ is rated for 99 mph.

Master Craft CT: http://www.mastercrafttires.com/us/e...ht+Truck+Tires

Mickey Thompson ATZ: http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/t...=BajaATZRadial

I also like the BFG Commercial Traction T/A and Cavalier Traction King and Cavalier Traction King Plus (two different Cavalier tires) (Cavalier made by BFG), but they don't come in very many sizes - no sizes I want. The Dunlop Rover RT is another excellent all purpose tire for all terrains, including ice, snow, mud, highway, sand, and maybe rocks. However, the RT is an older design of hybrid tire that predates varied lug sizes and pitches (i.e.- it makes more noise than other hybrids, but less than an MT. I'd still get it for a daily driver, if I wanted size 31 X 10.5 R15). Unfortuneately, all 3 tires mentioned in this paragraph only come in a limited number of sizes. The 235/75R15 is available in all 3 tires, and the 31 X 10.5 is available in the RT.

BFG Commercial T/A Traction: http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/overv...action/48.html

Cavalier Traction King: http://www.roverworld.com/Tires/cavalier.htm
Note: I prefer the Traction King more than the Traction King Plus because I like the 3 center lugs wide (more center lugs) of the Traction King. I think that would make it better on ice, compacted snow, wet pavement, and, loose dirt, and gravel. Since it has the same same aggressive side lugs it will be as good in mud and deep snow. Even so, this is only slight preference. The Traction King Plus is also a great tire.
Cavalier Traction King Plus: http://www.consumerstire.com/tiredet...type=TracKingP

Dunlop Rover RT: http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DN

So the best all purpose daily-driver tires for weekend-warriors that come in a wide variety of sizes are the Mastercraft CT and Mickey Thompson ATZ, in my opinion. The other tires mentioned above are also great hybrid tires, but come in limited sizes. As a general rule, the Mastercraft CT has smaller sizes covered, the Mickey Thompson ATZ has larger sizes covered, and both brands/models are available in medium sizes. The other brands of hybrids mentioned above only cover a few smaller sizes. Any of these tires would be an awesome daily driver tire for a weekend warrior, if you can find it in a size you want. Finding the size you want is the challenge, but that's getting easier as hybrids are catching on and becoming more popular each year.

=====

P.S. - the D!ck Cepek FC-2 is another excellent hybrid tire, but I didn't list it as one of my favorites because I don't think it's quite aggressive enough for mud. However, it has some mud ability and is good on other terrains including ice, snow, sand, rocks, wet and dry highway, and many people like this hybrid tire. http://www.dickcepek.com/FC_Radial.html

The Cooper ST is another hybrid tire. It's the one I currently own. It's good on wet and dry roads and excellent for all terrains, except ice. It's amazingly good in mud, and more street friendly than any mud tire. It's unfortunate it's lousy on ice. Ice is one of my important terrains I must drive on. So for the ice reason, I do not list the Cooper ST as one of my favorite hybrids. However, if you live in an area without ice, then it's a dandy hybrid tire that's good on everything except ice. For mud, it's probably the best hybrid tire. http://www.coopertire.com/Flash/index.aspx

The Parnelli Jones is an aggressive hybrid tire, IMO, and reportedly a good tire for all terrains and street too. Unfortuneately it's being discontinued. At least that's what I've heard. http://dirtgriptires.com/default.htm

=====

I'm not into mud tires, but if I was, I think the Cooper STT and the BFG MT KM with sipes added to center treads would be my two favorites because they have a reputation for also being good on road, and in various other offroad terrains in addition to mud. Most of all, they both have a reputation for being relatively quiet onroad and lasting a long time.

I also find the Bridgeston Duelor MT interesting with its many small center lugs and outer lugs. I think it might be great on street and other terrains in addtion to mud, although that's only a guess since I'm not familiar with this tire.

i.e. - If I was to consider an MT, I'd want it to have good road manners and work on other terrains too. Sipes help that, and so does having many smaller center lugs.

=====

It's worth mentioning that the BFG AT is my favorite all terrain tire. If I was going to get an AT, it would be the one (I've owned them before). As AT tires go, the BFG AT is great and the most all around capable AT, including being excellent on snow and ice, and better in mud than other ATs, however hybrid tires offer the same advantages as an AT and hybrids have more mud ability than any AT.

(I realize the Mickey Thompson ATZ is called an all terrain tire, but it's better than that. It's a hybrid. So I don't classify it as an AT. I classify it as a hybrid because it is, IMO, which leaves the BFG AT the best of what I'd call an AT).

=====

I base my opinions above on many reviews I've read, talking to people who use each of these tires, I personally use the Cooper ST myself (I previously used BFG AT), and I've read technical info on each tire (such as speed rating, tread depth, load range, and many other things) at each manufacturer's website.

Last edited by CB3; 01-23-2008 at 02:17 AM..
CB3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2008, 07:41 AM   #2
DJ Daddy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Nicely written; thanks!

Question: Are you referring to the plain MT ATZ or the ATZ Plus?

Unread 01-16-2008, 06:15 PM   #3
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Daddy

Nicely written; thanks!

Question: Are you referring to the plain MT ATZ or the ATZ Plus?

I'm referring to the ATZ, which has some spacing between it's outer lugs and those little suction breaking ridges between the outer lugs to aid self cleaning of mud. Because of these traits, it has some mud ability. Certainly more mud ability than any AT. This is why I call this tire a hybrid. It's a bit more aggressive than an AT, but less aggressive than an MT. It's in between the two extremes.

The ATZ Plus is another animal altogether. It has very close lugs, and I don't see any suction breaking ridges between its outer lugs. I would expect this tire to do poorly in mud. It's a true AT tire, and since I think the BFG AT is the best AT, I have no use for the ATZ Plus.

But the ATZ I like. Here is a link: http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/t...=BajaATZRadial

By the way, Procomp makes a tire called the Extreme All Terrain or Xtreme-AT that is very similar to the Mickey Thompson ATZ. I like the ATZ better because I like its arrangement of sipes. I think the ATZ sipes are likely to give better ice and packed snow traction. Also, it appears to me that the side lugs on the ATZ are slightly more open to aid self cleaning and mud traction. However, these two tires are very similar (both made by Cooper). I'm sure they're both good tires, but I think the ATZ is slightly more aggressive and better siped than the Procomp Xtreme AT.

Last edited by CB3; 01-16-2008 at 07:58 PM..
Unread 01-16-2008, 08:10 PM   #4
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

A couple of afterthoughts:

Let's keep in mind Cavalier is owned and made by BFG, and both are owned and made by Michelan.

Also, as ATs go, the Michelin LTX/AT looks like a nice aggressive AT (similar in purpose and probably function as a BFG AT, but possibly at a better price). The General Grabber AT (made by Continental I think) is also deserving to be mentioned for being a good AT.

Cavalier's Traction King Plus is a very nice hybrid tire, unfortuneately it doesn't come in any size I want.

=====

It's worth noting that the vast majority of hybrid tires are made by Cooper and several Cooper subsidiary companies (Mastercraft, Mickey Thompson, D!ck Cepek, and Pro Comp to name my favorite Cooper subsidiaries). Also Dean tires sold by Lester Schwabbies are a Cooper lowend subsidiary product (Schwabs sells a decent quality Dean hybrid tire, and PepBoys sells some other Cooper lowerend subsidiary brand - forgot the name). Cooper and its subsidiaries dominate the hybrid tire market. Most of my favorites are Cooper and Cooper highend subsidiary brands.

However, there is equally high quality competion from Michelan and two of its subsidiaries (BFG and Cavalier) in regard to hybrid tires. To be precise, Michelan owns BFG, which owns Cavalier. They offer quality hybrid tires, but only in a very limited size selection.

The only other quality hybrid tire competitor is Dunlop with its Rover RT, but the RT is only available in limited sizes, and makes more road noise than other hybrids. However, it offers a 31 X 10.5 R15, which is a size that Michelan, BFG, Cavalier, and half of the Cooper subsidiaries don't offer.

When shopping for hybrid tires, a guy has to realize there are several great tire brands and models to choose from, but only few sizes to choose from. Any of the brands/models of hybrids I've mentioned would be great for your daily driver, if you can find the size you want at an appropriate tire load rating. So choose from among these great tires whichever brand/model is available in the size you want with an appropriate load rating. I prefer load rating C for my lighter XJ, and load rating D for my heavier LJ (though C would also be find on an LJ). I personally think that load rating E is to stiff a tire for a Jeep, IMO.

Really, only Cooper and its subsidiary companies offer a reasonably wide range of hybrid tire models and sizes.

Yes, I'm a Cooper and BFG fan, and maybe a little bit of a Dunlop fan too. They deserve recognition for inventing and making versatile, multifunction, quality hybrid tires.

Also, it's worth noting that only Goodyear, Cooper, and many Cooper subsidiaries are still USA tires companies anymore. As far as I'm aware, there are no other USA tire companies anymore.

Last edited by CB3; 01-16-2008 at 09:17 PM..
Unread 01-16-2008, 09:23 PM   #5
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Tire widths for daily driver.

Also, I should add that if you're looking for a good daily driver tire that's also good as a weekend warrior, then you should also consider tire size, especially width.

Medium width tires from 10.5" to 11.5" wide are the most versatile for the widest variety of terrains, IMO. They're also good on road. The 10.5" wide tire gets considerably better gas mileage than an 11.5" wide tire. The 11.5" wide tire gets considerably better gas mileage than 12.5"+.

Going with a taller tire won't reduce your gas mileage as much (as wider), and you can regain much of the lost gas milage by regearing.

Going wider will substantially reduce your gas mileage, and regearing can't regain much of it.

For an XJ or TJ daily driver I prefer 31" to 33" tall tires that are 10.5" wide.

For a heavy TJ (built up) or LJ daily driver, I prefer a 32", 33", or 34" tire that's 11.5" wide.

I think regearing would be needed for 32"+ tires with any of the above types of Jeeps.

I should add that my definition of a daily driver is good off road in a variety of terrains, and excellent on road. Being excellent on road is most important to me because I spend my weekdays on road and use the Jeep for transportation. Some other guys might define a daily driver differently, or have one specific offroad terrain in mind, and therefore have different ideas about what's best.

Last edited by CB3; 01-18-2008 at 12:25 AM..
Unread 01-17-2008, 07:40 PM   #6
micahtbyrd
1995 YJ Wrangler 

would you choose a 33/10.50 or a 32/11.50 for a cherokee. I would love to increase my tire size for off road driving, but i would like to keep my on road driving ability. Just arent many choices for 33/10.50 which makes 32's sound like a good choice, more brands and treads to choose from. I currently run 31 pro comp at's
Unread 01-17-2008, 08:34 PM   #7
dpop24
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Similar question as above. I'm trying to make my DD cooler looking with emphasis on streetability.

I'm thinking of going with a 32x11.5x15 BFG AT but if I went to a 31x10.5x15 for better MPG, I would at least want a MT for a little tougher tread design look since it's smaller.

Would the 31x10.5 MT be better on gas than the 32x11.5 AT?
dpop24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2008, 11:50 PM   #8
dirtboss
2005 TJ Wrangler 

ive got the magazine this guys gets his stuff from!
Cooper STT is a great all around tire.

Son:
'98 TJ Sahara blk w/ blk hard top, 2.5" Skyjacker spring lift, and 32x11.5x15 Cooper Discoverer STT's on 15x8 Ultras?
'06 GTO 6.0 LS2 blk w/ blk leather...kooks 1 3/4 longtube headers, Corsa sport cat-back, Volant cold air intake, and rollin on 18x8.5 blk ROH DriftR's w/ BFG stickies...Dyno tune coming soon, hoping for 400/400 to the ground!

I take my vehicles the way I take my coffee, BlacK!
dirtboss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2008, 12:39 AM   #9
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by micahtbyrd
would you choose a 33/10.50 or a 32/11.50 for a cherokee. I would love to increase my tire size for off road driving, but i would like to keep my on road driving ability. Just arent many choices for 33/10.50 which makes 32's sound like a good choice, more brands and treads to choose from. I currently run 31 pro comp at's
It depends. If your XJ is stock weight (3400 lbs) or near stock weight (3500 to 3800 lbs), then I'd rather have the 33 X 10.5 R15, which means BFG AT or BFG MT are your choices since that's who makes this size. Those are both good tires for a daily drivers, and the BFG MT with siped center treads is a decent daily driver tire, IMO (and great offroad). That size tire would be good on a 15 X 8 rim with 4.5" backspacing.

If your XJ is builtup and weighs more (3800 to 4000 lbs), then I'd prefer the 32 X 11.5 R15 tire, but on a 15 X 9 rim with 4.5" backspacing. The wider rim will hold this tire flatter on the ground, giving a better footprint and allowing you to run higher air pressures on road, which means the best possible highway gas mileage that a tire of this width can get. Also, the best possible tire tread wear. Offroad traction would still be good when aired down. Also, a 15 X 9 rim will move the tire out away from the lower control arms 1/2" farther than a 15 X 8 rim (in addition to the extra 1" LCA clearance provided by 4.5" backspacing). I think 4.75" backspacing might also work, but I'm sure 4.5" would work.

Both the tire and rim combos above (10.5" wide tire with 8" wide rim, and 11.5" wide tire with 9" wide rim) can be run on highway with 28 to 32 psi to get a perfect tire footprint.

Compare that to a 32 X 11.5 R15 tire on a 15 X 8 rim, which must be run at 23 to 25 psi to get a flat footprint on highway. That's not an issue offroad, but onroad you won't get as good highway gas mileage running at 24 psi as you would with that same tire on a 15 X 9 rim running at 30 psi.

You are correct in thinking those two tires sizes are ideal for a daily driver XJ or TJ. Which is better depends on the weight of your XJ. Once you figure out what your XJ will weigh, then you know which of those two tire sizes is best. Next you can choose which rim size (15 X 8 or 15 X 9) is best for the tire width you've chosen.

You might also consider the LT255/85R16 tire, which is approximately a 33.5 X 9.5 R16 tire, which I think would fit dandy with Rubicon Moab 16 X 8 rims (5" backspacing). My calculations tell me that would be a good fit on a heavier, built-up XJ or stock TJ. Possibly a builtup TJ too. I'm saying those weight vehicles because this tire is a load range D. It comes in load range E too, but get the D. I've talked to two guys who run this tire size in Cooper ST, and one who runs it in BFG MT. They love this size. One of these guys is in AU, another is in Washington State, USA in my local area, and the other is in USA. Cooper, Toyo, BFG MT, Interco, and several other brands come in this size. This size tire comes in load range D and E, depending on brand. I'd recommend this tire in a load range D, but not in a load range E (to stiff for XJ or TJ). If you look at the tread width of this tire, it's the same as a 9.5" tire. That sounds like it might be a problem from being to narrow and sinking to much. However, this tire is so tall (relative to weight of a built XJ or stock TJ) that it gains some contact patch and flotation by having a long contact patch (tires that are tall in relation to the rim height have longer contact patches).

Even so, I think 31 X 10.5 R15, 32 X 10.5 R15, 32 X 11.5 R15, or 33 X 10.5 R15 would be my personal preferences for a daily driver because I think they'd give slightly better gas mileage and a much smoother ride than a 34 X 9.5 R16 (255/85R16) would.

Last edited by CB3; 01-18-2008 at 02:32 AM..
Unread 01-18-2008, 01:20 AM   #10
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpop24
Would the 31x10.5 MT be better on gas than the 32x11.5 AT?
I don't know for sure, but I can make some educated guesses.

My educated guess is that they'd be similar or same for highway mileage, if you use the appropriate size rim for each tire's width. (10.5" tire on 8" rim, or 11.5" tire on 9" rim).

The 31 X 10.5 R15 would probably be better for city mileage no matter what rims you use.

One thing about a 31 X 10.5 R15 is that it gives you many more choices of tire brands and models. For example, you could get a Mastercraft CT or Dunlop Rover RT in that size, or many others too. Those would have more mud ability than a 32 X 11.5 BFG AT, and they'd look meaner to, IMO, and they'd still have as much ice and wet pavement ability as the BFG AT.

The 10.5" wide tire won't hydroplane on a wet freeway at high speed nearly as easily as an 11.5" tire would.

My personal policy is this. Try to figure out what width tire is more appropriate for your vehicle's weight. If in doubt, it's better for a daily driver tire to be to narrow than to wide, IMO. So if you're in doubt between a 10.5" wide tire and an 11.5", go with the 10.5". Only choose the wider tire if you are sure of your need for it. If you have doubts, then choose the narrower tire.

You might also consider a 32 X 10.5 R15. Parnelli Jones makes that (but calls it a 31 X 10.5). PJ tires are (allegedly) going to be discontinued, but for now they are on closeout/markdown sales and a steal to purchase.

Another consideration: You can run a 31 X 10.5 R15 without regearing, although I'd still want to regear. If you run a 32" or 33" tire, your need for regearing is increased a lot. So if you can't afford to regear, then a 31 X 10.5 R15 tire is the obvious choice (on a 15 X 8 Canyon, Ravine, or Gambler wheel from a TJ).

Last edited by CB3; 01-18-2008 at 02:36 AM..
Unread 01-18-2008, 01:36 AM   #11
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Lastly, regarding gas mileage issues.

My last XJ had 30 X 9.5 R15 tires on stock 15 X 7 Grizzley rims. It was very capable, but I always wished for 31 X 10.5 R15 tires, which would have been a huge improvement offroad without losing much, if anything, onroad.

Now I have an LJ Rubi with 33 X 11.5 R16 tires (285/75R16) Cooper STs.

Because of the tires and the lockers, my LJ is much more capable offroad than my XJ was. However, I could afford to go on trips to anywhere I wanted to with my XJ. My LJ Rubi gas bill is 1/3 (33%) more for city mileage and 1/4 (25%) more for highway mileage.

So now I seldom go on trips far from home. I do a little local 4 wheeling, but can't afford to drive anywhere far out of town. My wings have been clipped by the gas bill. If I still had my XJ, I could go on a trip anywhere I wanted.

So it doesn't matter if my LJ Rubi is more capable offroad because I can't afford to take it on trips.

I want another XJ, though next time I want either 31 X 10.5 R15 or 32 X 10.5 R15 or possibly 33 X 10.5 R15 tires. Any of those would be a huge improvement in offroad ability over the 30 X 9.5 tire (which is pretty good itself already). So with an XJ set up with 31, 32, or 33" tires that are 10.5" wide, I could afford the gas to go wherever I want, whenever I want, and not have to sweat the gas bill. With manual ockers front and rear, I think a somewhat modified XJ could hang with, or beat, my stock LJ Rubi, and the XJ would get relatively good gas mileage doing it. Which means I could afford to go on the trips that I'm now skipping.

So even though for some heavier XJs, 11.5 wide tires might be better offroad, I'd still go with 10.5 for gas mileage. Also, even though I intend to modify my next XJ more than my last, I still intend to keep my next XJ on a diet. It's not going over 3800 lbs for two reasons: Less weight means better gas mileage, and a 3800 lbs vehicle does very well offroad with 10.5" wide tires, and the 10.5" tire means better gas mileage too.

If I modified my next XJ to much and got up to 3900 or 4000 lbs, then I'd need 11.5" tires, and between the vehicle weight and the tire width, my gas mileage would be in the crapper again.

I've read some here post here saying "who cares about gas mileage?" Well that's just stupid. If you don't keep you gas mileage within your gas budget, then you end up having to skip on and off road trips to save money. I hate that. I want to go go go places, and better gas mileage makes that possible.

Lastly, if you can't afford to regear, then your tire size choice is made for you. 30 X 9.5 or 31 X 10.5 R15 are the obvious choices. End of story.

If you can afford to regear, the 31 X 10.5 R15 tire still has some very attractive qualties. There's lots of selection of brands/models at that tire size, the tires cost less (than larger ones), and the gas mileage is pretty good, especially on an XJ. Also, it can be fitted to Wrangler Canyon, Ravine, or Gambler 15 X 8 rims (5.5" BS) which you already own if you have a TJ, or you can buy cheaply if you have an XJ. For max bang for the buck, the 31 X 10.5 R15 tire can't be beat.

The only exception is the Parnelli Jones 31 X 10.5 R15 (really a 32 X 10.5 tire) because it's now on closeout sales for very good prices. i.e. - with this good tire being offered at closeout sale prices, you can save enough money on tires to pay for part of the cost of regearing, or to pay for gas, or to buy new rims. The downside is that this tire is larger than a 31 X 10.5 which means new 15 X 8 rims with 4.5" BS and regearing are both needed. Whoops! There goes the economy right down the drain.

So there are no exceptions to the statement that 31 X 10.5 R15 tires give the most bang for the buck.

However, if you don't mind spending the extra money on tires and vehicle setup costs, the 32 X 10.5 R15, 32 X 11.5 R15, and 33 X 10.5 R15 tire sizes offer more performance offroad and still give reasonably good performance onroad. The downside of these slightly larger sizes is more expensive tires, and more setup costs (new rims, regearing, and possibly more lift or fender trimming) are required. If you're willing to spend the money on the extra setup costs and accept less choices of tire brands, then these sizes are great. Also, don't forget the 255/85R16 size (34 X 9.5) in load range D - because it actually has more brands available in that size than the other sizes mentioned earlier in this paragraph.

Last edited by CB3; 01-18-2008 at 01:55 AM..
Unread 01-18-2008, 02:08 AM   #12
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

285/75r16 (33 X 11.50 R16)

I think this is another great daily driver size for a built-up (heavier TJ) or an LJ. It's the size I have on my LJ Rubi.

It does well on my 16 X 8 stock Moab rims (5" BS), but I think it'd be better on some 16 X 8 AEV Bridger rims because that would widen the stance a bit and eliminate rubbing on my swaybar when turning to full lock left or right.

I think this tire would be best on a 16 X 9 rim with 4.5" BS (Moto Metal makes one) because then I could run on highway with 30 psi and still have a flat footrpint. Right now, with my 16 X 8 rim, I have to run at 24 psi on highway to get a flat footprint (I did the chalk test), which reduces my highway gas mileage.

I think city gas milage would be the same with either rim.

The 16 X 9 rim allows running on highway at 30 psi, but that rim weighs more than a 16 X 8 rim. So I think it'd be an equal wash for city fuel economy. But for highway, the 16 X 9 and higher air pressure (30 psi) would help the highway economy.

Even so, I think all the tire sizes mentioned in prior posts give better fuel economy, and the 10.5" wide tires will do just as well offroad, if the vehicle is suitably light (stock or slightly built XJ, or stock TJ).

However, for a fat, heavy rig like my stock 4300 lb LJ Rubi, the 11.5" wide tire is appropriate and necessary for most offroad situations, though a 10.5" wide would be better on winter roads.

I don't recommend a 285/75R16 tire for an XJ or stock TJ because this tire comes in load range D, which I think is way to stiff for an XJ or stock TJ, and it's also to wide of a tire for stock XJs and stock TJs. A heavy, highly built XJ or TJ is an exception where this tire can be a good daily driver. It's also good for a stock LJ (heavy to begin with).

However, fuel economy is NOT good with a 285/75R16 tire on a 16 X 8 rim, IME. I think a 16 X 9 rim would improve highway gas mileage, but wouldn't help city mileage. This is exactly why I want to go back to an XJ and put some 10.5" wide tires on it with 15 X 8 Canyon or Ravine rims. Then I could have economy, performance, and fun. Then I could afford onroad and offroad trips again without having my fun ruined by the fuel bill. I could also save a lot of money on my daily commute. I'm tired of staying home on weekends to save gas.

Gas mileage does matter! It is possible to have good gas mileage and good capability from a properly equipped XJ (built, but not overbuilt). It might also be possible from a properly equipped TJ. I don't think it is possible from an LJ. Sorry, but that's what I think (I own an LJ now). However, I think an LJ with 31, 32, or 33" tall tires that are 10.5" wide could at least get decent gas mileage and give decent capability.

Last edited by CB3; 01-20-2008 at 08:30 PM..
Unread 01-18-2008, 07:50 AM   #13
micahtbyrd
1995 YJ Wrangler 

what gears would you run with a 31/1050, and what gears with a 33/1050? I currently have 1.5 to 2in of lift and i run 31's on my xj my fenders are trimmed and I have bump stopped, I have stock gears, and stock wheels. def want new wheels now. and maybe more lift, whats your perspective on the right amount of lift for 31/1050, and 33/1050?.
Unread 01-18-2008, 10:07 AM   #14
RedRenegade93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

CB3, do you think that these hybrid tires offer significantly better traction than AT tires? I was planning on buying a set of 31x10.5 Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor ATs for my YJ DD. The rims are 15x8 with 3.25" backspacing. I thought the SilentArmors sounded like a really good tire for DD road driving as well as the ability to go offroad when you want to.
RedRenegade93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2008, 09:23 PM   #15
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by micahtbyrd
what gears would you run with a 31/1050, and what gears with a 33/1050? I currently have 1.5 to 2in of lift and i run 31's on my xj my fenders are trimmed and I have bump stopped, I have stock gears, and stock wheels. def want new wheels now. and maybe more lift, whats your perspective on the right amount of lift for 31/1050, and 33/1050?.
I used to own an XJ that was stock for a few year, then slightly modified for the last few years I owned it. I now own an LJ Rubi. I know there are several things I can do to improve the gas mileage of an LJ, but it still wouldn't be as good mileage as an XJ. My plans are to sell my LJ, buy a lower mileage XJ, and modify the XJ to end up with a on and off road capable daily driver that still gets good gas mileage.

I know more about gearing for an LJ with manual or auto (different overdrives). I don't know as much about gearing for XJs, but I know some.

When I think of gearing, I aim for whatever is going to give the best freeway fuel economy. Whatever gearing that is will also be low enough in 1st gear offroad.

When reading below, please remember that I'm assuming total XJ mods weigh 450 lbs or less. The less they weigh the better, as long as they still give desired performance. Also, I'm referring to an automatic transmission XJ. I don't know anything about gearing a manual shift XJ.

For an XJ with 31" tires, I'd prefer 4.11 gearing. I think this would be ideal for good street and good offroad.

For 32" tires I'd probably rather go with 32 X 10.5 than 33 X 11.5 for fuel economy reasons. An inch taller doesn't affect fuel economy much, but an inch wider does. For an XJ with 32" tires, I'd prefer 4.27 gearing, but that's not an option for Chrysler 8.25 rearend. So you must then choose between 4.11 and 4.53 gearing. At this point, I'm not sure which of those I'd choose. I need to research this some more. However, I'm sure that an XJ with 32" tires would be awesome for a daily driver and awesome offroad. Personally, I'd prefer a 32" X 10.5" R15 tire for a DD XJ because I think it's ideal. However, I realized that tire size is hard to get. So my next choice is probably 31 X 10.5 R15 tires.
With a 32" tire, I'd choose 4.11 gearing, if I knew I'd never go to taller tires than 32". That 4.11 gearing works well with 31 and 31 tires.

With a 32" tire, I'd choose 4.53 gearing, if I thought I might someday go to a 33" tire. The 4.53 gearing works well wtih 32 and 33 tires.

For me, I'd choose a 31" or 32" tall tire in 10.5" wide on a 15 X 8 rim, and I'd go with the 4.11 gearing. This way I could run a 31 or 32 tire, and I know I don't need to run a 33" tire. I really think the 32" tire is best for a daily driver XJ (though it's a difficult tire size to find).
For 33" tires (33 X 10.5 is the only 33" tire I'd consider because any wider and the fuel economy goes WAY DOWN. For gearing the 4.53 seems the clear choice.

For 34" tires (255/75R16 which is a 34" X 9.5") I'm not sure if 4.53 or 4.88 is best. However, I think perhaps 4.53 is the lowest the XJ rearend (Chrysler 8.25) can be geared. I'm not sure. I need to research this some more.

Another consideration is how easy it is to fit a tire to the XJ. 31 X 10.5 R15 are easy and economical to fit to an XJ, and give good offroad and onroad performance. The 32 X 10.5 R15 tire is a bit more difficult to fit, needing slightly extra trimming or lift (I'd prefer the extra trimming), and it needs a 15 X 8 wheel with 5" spacing to fit. The 32 X 11.5 R15 would be similar , except you need a 15 X 9 rim with 4.5" or 4.75" backspacing.

The 33 X 10.5 tire is not going to be easy to fit. You'd be looking at lots more lift, trimming, and a 15 X 8 rim with 4.5" backspacing. The extra lift needed makes this tires size less attractive to me because the extra lift costs a lot more money, especially to get a good ride from it. It might need long arms to ride good, because with short arms it'll probably ride rough. Some guys use bumpstops to get this tire to not rub, but then you have less suspension travel. This tire size can be awesome for those who need it and are willing to put in the money, time, and effort too make it work on an XJ.

I'd rather have a 31 X 10.5 R15 for very easy mods, good performance, and great gas mileage, or the 32 X 10.5 R15 for easy mods, great performance, and good gas mileage. The 33 X 10.5 R15 tire is to much pain in the butt to get it to work for me. However, it's worth it to some guys. To each his own.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.