Most Aggressive/mean All Terrain Tire - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Most Aggressive/mean All Terrain Tire

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 01-19-2010, 09:11 PM   #1
Srm22
2010 JK Wrangler 

Most Aggressive/mean All Terrain Tire

I'm purchasing a new 2010 jeep wrangler sport. I had a 97 sahara with muds on it for 4 years and i didn't off-road as much as i wouldve liked. I did do some general off-roading, but nothing serious. I'm leaning towards getting a good mix between an all-terrain tire which would help me in the snow (in buffalo, ny) etc., yet still have the occasional off road adventure capabilities.

Any suggestion on the most aggressive all-terrain tire? or best highway mudds??

Ideally id like to go 33x12.5 with a 3 or 4 inch lift. Thanks!

Any opinions on the BFGoodrich all-terrain t/a KO? or Goodyear Wrangler mt/r?

Srm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2010, 09:46 PM   #2
ClimbStuff
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Bet it's Duratracs....
ClimbStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2010, 10:06 PM   #3
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

BFG AT is what I have, and they are great at everything, including winter roads (partly because they're 33 X 10.5 and narrower tires are best for winter roads). However, the BFG AT (and any AT) is very poor in mud.

Duratrac is a great "moderate hybrid" tread (hybrid meaning part AT and part MT) because it's great onroad and great on winter roads, and good offroad in general. I hear it's OK in mud. Probably the best onroad tire that still can get-er-done in most offroad situations (though it may struggle in hardcore mud). I think it's a reasonably durable tire, but not nearly as tough as the MTR-K or Trxus. However, the Duratrac is a lot lighter than those other two, which means the Duratrac would get best gas mileage for weight reasons and because it has tighter tread (smaller voids).

=====

The MTR-K and Trxus are great "aggressive hybrids", or you might say the best MT on road. I'd say aggressive hybrids. Same thing by two different names really.

Both MTR-K and Trxus have many small AT center treads (like all good hybrids do) and aggressive outer treads. This greatly aids traction on wet pavement, ice, and packed snow.
The Trxus also has excellent and many sipes on all treads (another quality of an AT and also hybrids). This greatly aids traction on wet pavement, ice, and packed snow.
Trxus also has a soft grippy rubber that greatly aids traction on wet pavement, ice, and packed snow.
The MTR-K does not have sipes, but does have silica in the tread, which works like stud tires. This greatly aids traction on wet pavement, ice, and packed snow.
Both MTR-K and Trxus have large MT outer treadblocks with large voids that aid self cleaning in mud and deep snow, which is why they are excellent at those things.

Both Both MTR-K and Trxus are very tough and tear and puncture resistant. While those are good quality for hardcore offroad, it also is why both those tires are MUCH HEAVIER than the Duratrac. So they wouldn't get as good gas mileage as a Duratrac for that reason, plus their knobbier outer treads increasing rolling resistance.

If you only occasionally go offroad (like once a month or less), get the Duratrac. If you go offroad often (more than once a month), get the MTR-K or Trxus. IMO

Also, the Duratrac and MTR-K run 1/2" narrower than stated size and narrower than most brands of tire of same stated size. This is a good thing, IMO (because narrow is better on wet and winter roads, mud, and for gas mileage).

The Trxus runs about 1" narrower than stated size, which is an excellent thing, IMO.

The Duratrac runs short and slightly narrow, the MTR runs slightly tall and slightly narrow, the Trxus runs tall and narrow. What fits your lift best? If I had a 2.5" lift, I'd get Duratrac (runs short). If I had a 3" lift I'd probably the MTR-K (runs slightly tall). If I had 4" lift I'd get the Trxus (runs tall). I have a 3.25" lift and I plan to get Trxus next time, though fender trimming will be needed because it's really more like a 33.5 X 11.5 tire. Luckily, Trxus run narrow enough that will aid clearance to swaybar and LCAs.

The 33 X 12.5 R15 Trxus is really more of a 33.5 X 11.5 R15. That's excellent because there are many advantages of a tall medium width tire.

=====

I wouldn't presume to say which tire is best. They're all excellent, and somewhat different, though all are versatile tires. It's up to you to figure out which is best for your terrains/needs, wants, and clearances.

Last edited by CB3; 01-19-2010 at 10:18 PM..
CB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2010, 10:11 PM   #4
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClimbStuff View Post
Bet it's Duratracs....
Is this seat taken?

I kinda like the MTR/kevlar!!!

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2010, 11:25 PM   #5
Matt_G
1979 CJ5 

i like the procomp extreme A/T and the Micky Thompson MTZ's.

MTR/k's are o.k. to they just look to agressive for daily driver use. also i've i'm going to pay $200 a tire they better last long and i think that in DD vehicle they would go way to fast to justify the cost (35,000-45,000 miles?)
Matt_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 12:53 AM   #6
notoriousdoa
2000 TJ Wrangler 

i have the procomp xtreme a/t's on my jeep and i love them. do awesome on the street and off road (as long as not in thick thick mud.. but still managable).. plus i think they look good

EXTREME CURB JEEPIN
http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs127...._4426273_n.jpg
notoriousdoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 01:05 AM   #7
Jeep89JV
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Heard many good things about Duratracs, buying me a set this week actually.

[I][B]My Build Thread:[/B][/I][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/broke-kid-build-96-xj-1007038/[/url]

[B][I]New Mexico Driving Rules...[/I][/B][LIST][*]As a general rule, the vehicle most in need of a significant amount of bodywork (for which the driver is most likely uninsured) always has the right of way.[*]Never use directional signals when changing lanes. They only serve to give away your next move, causing most NM drivers to speed up and not let you in. In fact, use of directional signals within most large NM city limits is actual illegal.[*]NM law states that at least 50% of all paved surfaces within the state must be under construction at any one time. In all construction zones, at least half of the available lanes must be closed, regardless of whether any actual construction is be accomplished or not. Construction signs shall be regularly repositioned in order to warn drivers about upcoming lane closures immediately after they pass the last exit before traffic backups.
[*]Driving through constructions zones with upcoming lane closures is a popular game in NM. Its called the "speed up and pass as many cars as you can, then see how close to the lane closure you can squeeze back into traffic before hitting any of the orange construction barrels" game.[/LIST]
Jeep89JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 01:14 AM   #8
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

When do we get to see the pictures of that cool yellow Jeep?
R.R.

Visit the EnviroBeat
Unread 01-20-2010, 01:39 AM   #9
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

duratracs.

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 08:23 AM   #10
daveshan
Feeding the money pits

2001 TJ Wrangler 

I put BFG AT/KOs on my wife's 4dr, it's unstoppable in the snow/ice up here in Durango CO, best $$ I ever spent on any Jeep. For winter I run 35x12.5x15 BFG ATs on my TJ also.

When we moved up here I looked at every contractor's truck that came out for the remodels, figured they had to get to the job no matter what, 80% of them had the BFG ATs, good enough for me.

'01 TJ Sahara
'98 XJ Sport
'00 XJ Wife's ride
Gone but not forgotten
'56CJ, '61 Wagon, '51 Pickup, '07 JK 4dr

daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 09:37 AM   #11
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srm22 View Post
I'm purchasing a new 2010 jeep wrangler sport. I had a 97 sahara with muds on it for 4 years and i didn't off-road as much as i wouldve liked. I did do some general off-roading, but nothing serious. I'm leaning towards getting a good mix between an all-terrain tire which would help me in the snow (in buffalo, ny) etc., yet still have the occasional off road adventure capabilities.

Any suggestion on the most aggressive all-terrain tire? or best highway mudds??

Ideally id like to go 33x12.5 with a 3 or 4 inch lift. Thanks!

Any opinions on the BFGoodrich all-terrain t/a KO? or Goodyear Wrangler mt/r?
I had the old school MTRs and they aren't that great in the snow. They did ok in loose but once it got packed they didn't do that great.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 09:38 AM   #12
1996BlackXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Well considering it's all Goodyear and BFG suggestions above, I'll give you one more brand and some food for thought.

The Cooper Discoverer S/T has the same "goal" of the Duratrac...an aggressive AT tire. I'm no Cooper salesman but I loved the S/Ts when I had them. Got them second hand from my brother who wore them down to ~35% tread. They still did great in snow and went plenty of places off-road. Since then I've upgraded to the STT model which is the M/T tire from Cooper.

Cooper tends to use a harder rubber compound in their aggressive tires to aid in tread life, so they wear well. Hard pack and ice can get slick compared to other tires because of that, but nothing drastic. This is more apparent in my STTs compared to the S/Ts...because of the larger lugs.

Obviously, both the BFG A/T and the Duratrac are fine choices. I have some second hand BFG A/Ts in the 31in flavor on my Jeep right now and they work very well in the snow, even off-road in the snow when aired down (they're not noted in my sig, only running these for the winter because they were cheap and are low tread and I wanted to save my STTs for the summer)
4.5" lift of assorted brands, 33x10.5 KM2s on D-Windows, JCR rear bumper, Nates Slimline w/Champion 8k winch, custom half doors, roof rack, and tire carrier, Maine Woods dents and pin striping, and various other cool things.
www.maine4x4.org Maine Jeep Club Member #1 Firefighter Jeep Club Member Black Jeep Society Member #163Survivalist Jeep Club Member #14
1996BlackXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 03:44 PM   #13
Srm22
2010 JK Wrangler 

Awesome! Thanks for the help, I also just heard some great things about the VorTrac All Terrain. Any thoughts on those? 33x12.6x17
Srm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 06:59 PM   #14
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

I just looked up the VorTrac's at SuperSwamper Direct.
It only shows them in 35" and 37" sizes. They look O.K. but very limited sizes.
I think the MTR/Kevlar is what I will be getting, they are very aggressive and readily available. If you tear one up it should be easy to finde a replacement!!!

Visit the EnviroBeat
Unread 01-20-2010, 09:19 PM   #15
p-saurus
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I've had my DuraTracs for about 1/2 of a week and so far I really like them. They stick to the rocks better than my old BFG A/Ts and they're lighter to boot. Can't say anything about snow performance, although I've heard it is really good.

Last edited by p-saurus; 01-20-2010 at 09:54 PM..
p-saurus is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.