mickey thompson vs. super swamper - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > mickey thompson vs. super swamper

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-23-2009, 12:06 PM   #1
dmicucci
1999 TJ Wrangler 

mickey thompson vs. super swamper

I'm in the process of deciding on which tires to get next and can't make up my mind between these two. So in your opinion, which is better for your average New England woods trail (trees, rocks, stumps, mud, etc.) - the Baja Claw Radial, or the TrXus M/T? I have had both before on another truck, and loved them both, and basically just need help to make up my mind. Bear in mind this is my daily driver, so not so much road manners, because it is a lifted Jeep after all, but road wear is a factor, as well as performance in snow.

Thanks for your insight.

dmicucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2009, 10:14 PM   #2
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thats the kinda of terrain i wheel here in Iowa and run MTZ's. Thats one of the reasons i have stuck with them is the sidewall. Its the same as the claw, But the claws as sweet off-road. They will eat and chew through it all almost as good as boggers except the claws will balance easy. I have been happy with the sidewalls with no cuts, Minimal chunking in the tread. I have never run claws but would think that they are of the same compound as i know they share the same sidewall. If so they would do great for both to and on the trail. I like swamper's but for the price and what i have read, The TSL or SX would be a better choice as in the end, You are buying a Interco tire. Good luck
Unread 09-23-2009, 10:17 PM   #3
mudking_ky87
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i have mtz's i love them!
97' TJ Sport 2.5" - 3" suspension Rancho? lift, 3" BL, Smittybuilt SRC Rear bumper, KC lighing, Tube front bumper and side steps, warn x8000i winch, 33" Mickey Thompson MTZ, magnaflow exhaust, gibson Hi flow cat. more to come in the future!
mudking_ky87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2009, 10:19 PM   #4
catalog
2005 TJ Wrangler 

My personal experience on the Baja Claw is that they are HORRIBLE in the snow. Scary, dangerous and won't do it again. but for mud and rocks they did pretty darn good.
Unread 09-23-2009, 10:23 PM   #5
ep191
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKiowaTJ View Post
The TSL or SX would be a better choice as in the end, You are buying a Interco tire. Good luck
yes, because he obviously doesn't care if he gets only gets 10k miles out of them

If I were you, I wouldn't bother with either of those choices. I have never run either of these tires myself, but I know plenty of people personally that have given their opinion on them. Claws are loud and don't wear so well, as well as having below average off road and snow traction. The Trxus have tread wear issues, as well as balancing problems (what a surprise, they are made by interco)

These are a few tires that I have heard nothing but good about from people in NE:

-BFG KM2
-Cooper STT (I personally run them and love them so far)
-Mickey Thompson MTZ
-Toyo Open Country M/T
-MT/R with Kevlar (haven't heard a ton of reviews on them, but sound very promising)
ep191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2009, 10:37 PM   #6
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I got 23k out of my SX swamper's when i ran them. They were a great tire. But yeah they are on the low end of DD ability.

How are the new MT/R's in NE backwoods? The UA pushed them this year and have a good deal of sizes up high. In the area I'm in the guy has yet to get his display mt/r Kevlar tire. Just curious are id like to see how many miles they will go and the terrains they will walk through. So far so good is all i have herd as well, But nothing i was curious about.
Unread 09-23-2009, 10:43 PM   #7
catalog
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ep191 View Post
-BFG KM2
-Cooper STT (I personally run them and love them so far)
-Mickey Thompson MTZ
-Toyo Open Country M/T
-MT/R with Kevlar (haven't heard a ton of reviews on them, but sound very promising)
Consider the Nitto Mud Grappler Aswell. They have done awesome on my Gf's jeep. They balance great and are VERY durable. Only thing I can say negative is that they are noisy and dig hard and fast in the snow so a Light touch is needed.

Unread 09-23-2009, 11:47 PM   #8
ep191
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKiowaTJ View Post
How are the new MT/R's in NE backwoods?
I haven't seen a ton of people running them out here yet, but I know some were running them in local competitons and absolutely loved them.
ep191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2009, 02:07 AM   #9
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ep191 View Post
I haven't seen a ton of people running them out here yet, but I know some were running them in local competitions and absolutely loved them.

Thats good to hear that they like them. The only thing i can vouch for is two farmers who have them around here. One actually uses his and likes them so far. He says the sidewall is night and day as he has cut a couple in the past style but the new are taking all the abuse and running strong.
Unread 11-02-2009, 10:15 AM   #10
JustEatEvryPart
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I have MTZ's and i absolutley love them, they perform excellent in the woods, they arent to loud on the road, and best of all, ive ran them for almost a year and a half and arent even at 50% tread left(its my DD). Super Swampers are sick, but since they wear so fast, it doesnt seem worth it to buy them unless your going to take the time to swap tires when your done wheeling. M/T seem like the best bang for your buck...
JustEatEvryPart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2009, 07:41 AM   #11
+Crusader+

Since you've run both you know what you are getting into ... anyhow, if you plan on sticking with 33's, then my vote would be the TrXus over the Claws, especially for winter roads.
Unread 11-03-2009, 07:55 AM   #12
JeepDVL45

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I have a set of TrXus M/Ts and I love them so far. They took a TON of weight to balance, but they're still fine. (granted I've only had them on for about 1000 miles but I LOVE them. I haven't gotten a chance to take them off road yet, but they do well on the road. My Jeep is my DD and I put A LOT of miles on it. Just my $.02

"Real men hide their feelings, WHY?!
BECAUSE IT’S NONE OF YOUR ****** BUSINESS!!!!
Men do not cry. Men do not pout. Men jack you in the ******* jaw and say…thanks for comin’ out." - Boondock Saints II
JeepDVL45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.