maxxis big horns - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > maxxis big horns

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 11-19-2010, 03:57 PM   #1
freedommachine
1930 XK Commander 

maxxis big horns

Ive read some reviews about because it sounds like the km2 might be hard to get right now and a local tire shop has these maxxis big horns i didnt get much of a chance to look at them and the kid there told me it has a 6 ply sidewall? I asked about the sidewall plys he just said six he didnt seem to know what i was asking,just kept saying six to most of my questions.Does anyone know the sidewall plys.

freedommachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2010, 04:19 PM   #2
HaViiK
2001 WJ 

I doubt its a 6 ply sidewall. He may have meant its just a 6 ply tire, meaning its a C-Load tire.

Someone correct me if im wrong...
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/haviiks-01-wj-slow-build-1067820/"][COLOR="DarkRed"]Black HaViiK:[/COLOR][/URL] [COLOR="DarkRed"]2001 WJ, 4.0, 42re (rebuilt at 100k), 30/35, Rough Country X-Series, JCR Stage 3 Sliders, Yakima Megawarrior & Big Powderhound, Grille Guard, KC Daylighter 130w, Custom Sub Box & 2 Kicker 12" CVR
[/COLOR]
[SIZE="2"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/zj-wj-faqs-read-first-contact-mod-changes-additions-591821/"][COLOR="DarkRed"]WJ/ZJ FAQ[/COLOR][/URL][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"][URL="http://www.facebook.com/steven.T.wright"][COLOR="DarkRed"]Facebook. Wheeling stuff in there.[/COLOR][/URL][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"][URL="http://www.youtube.com/user/Thunderheadrcx?feature=mhee"][COLOR="DarkRed"]Youtube Channel. GoPro/Wheeling stuff[/COLOR][/URL][/SIZE]

[QUOTE=rulppa(chat);10944366]whats with people (steve) with those monster sigs. reply is usually like ':E' then 2 pages of signature lol[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Sarahdactyl;11226293]THE WINNER IS REDHOTCHILIDOG!!!!111!!1!!!!(OBNXIOUS HUGE BEEFSTEW STYLE FONT) I will PM winner for details[/QUOTE]
HaViiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2010, 05:06 PM   #3
freedommachine
1930 XK Commander 

thats exactly what i thought but he just kept saying 6ply....6ply....uh....6ply....
Unread 11-20-2010, 09:15 PM   #4
LucasP
1996 ZJ 

Fwiw... I hated my bighorns with a passion. They were so loud and were all over the road when it was wet. I guess for a cheap tire they might be worth it, but not worth if for me on my zj. I put my cooper discoverer sst's on and I still stand by that they are the best m/t tires Ive ever owned.
LucasP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2010, 11:55 AM   #5
Gary2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I had 12.50 33s on a Cherokee a couple years back and I liked them and the fellow who bought the Jeep from me did also . I may buy a set of 35s for the TJ being I am about do for tires .
Gary2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2010, 12:09 PM   #6
06_LJCON
2006 LJ Wrangler 

My boss has a set of 31"s on his YJ and he loved them. He had a 50 miles each way commute to work and said his were quiet, good wearing and decent traction. I think it is a pretty good tire for the money.

(SOLD) 1987 wrangler 2.5L 5-speed BLACK!
S.O.A. with 4" springs and a 2" body lift. Lincon locked front. 33" TSL's NEED bigger tires!!

(WRECKED) 2002 Apex Wrangler 4.0L 5-Speed Silver
2.5" skyjacker single flex, skyjacker shicks, Rock Krawler adjustable lower control arms f/r, 1.25" JKS body lift, 1" JKS motor mount lift, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Warn engine/transmission skid plate, Rock Crusher Front diff cover, Poison spyder rocker knockers, 1.25 wheel spacers, 4.10 gears f/r, Detroit Trutrack rear, aussie automatic locker front

(CURRENT) 2006 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited LJ 4.0L 6-speep, Silver, 3.5" Rubicon express lift with Rubicon express disconnects. Hella 500 lights, HID Bi-xenon headlights, Rock-It intake, Red top Optima, Factory MOPAR rocker knockers, TNTCustoms Front full tube fenders, 35x12.5R15 BFG KM2, Black steel wheels.
06_LJCON is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2010, 05:46 PM   #7
freedommachine
1930 XK Commander 

yeah for 90% of things i read about them they sound pretty good. but does anyone know the sidewall plys?
Unread 11-23-2010, 05:54 PM   #8
06_LJCON
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I highly doubt they are a true 6-ply tire but nothing is anymore. They are just 6-ply rated.

(SOLD) 1987 wrangler 2.5L 5-speed BLACK!
S.O.A. with 4" springs and a 2" body lift. Lincon locked front. 33" TSL's NEED bigger tires!!

(WRECKED) 2002 Apex Wrangler 4.0L 5-Speed Silver
2.5" skyjacker single flex, skyjacker shicks, Rock Krawler adjustable lower control arms f/r, 1.25" JKS body lift, 1" JKS motor mount lift, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Warn engine/transmission skid plate, Rock Crusher Front diff cover, Poison spyder rocker knockers, 1.25 wheel spacers, 4.10 gears f/r, Detroit Trutrack rear, aussie automatic locker front

(CURRENT) 2006 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited LJ 4.0L 6-speep, Silver, 3.5" Rubicon express lift with Rubicon express disconnects. Hella 500 lights, HID Bi-xenon headlights, Rock-It intake, Red top Optima, Factory MOPAR rocker knockers, TNTCustoms Front full tube fenders, 35x12.5R15 BFG KM2, Black steel wheels.
06_LJCON is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2010, 08:03 PM   #9
Gary2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

"most" any light truck tire I have ever seen had different ply side wall than the tread the total ply rating is usually just the advertised number . It used to be written on the sidewall in smaller letters what the seperate tread and the sidewall ratings are
Unread 11-28-2010, 09:46 AM   #10
dabprice
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasP View Post
Fwiw... I hated my bighorns with a passion. They were so loud and were all over the road when it was wet. I guess for a cheap tire they might be worth it, but not worth if for me on my zj. I put my cooper discoverer sst's on and I still stand by that they are the best m/t tires Ive ever owned.
Contrary to the above post I have had very good performance from my Big Horns. They got louder only after about 10m miles and, as they are siped, the performance in the wet was very good. In fairness, I know nothing about Cooper tires.
dabprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2010, 01:36 PM   #11
LucasP
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabprice View Post
Contrary to the above post I have had very good performance from my Big Horns. They got louder only after about 10m miles and, as they are siped, the performance in the wet was very good. In fairness, I know nothing about Cooper tires.
I completely understand. My bighorns came on my jeep when I bought it. So I dont know how they were treated before got them. From a price point perspective, I guess they arnt that bad. My coopers were 900ish. But I feel that my discoverer's are better in every condition.
LucasP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2010, 08:07 PM   #12
freedommachine
1930 XK Commander 

I was thinking about maxxis a the local tire joint but the mt/r with kevlar are only 250bucks more some im going to go with the kevlars.The sidewalls sold me on them.
Unread 12-03-2010, 02:55 PM   #13
Gary2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Just put a new set of 35s on today . Next to nothing weight wise to balance them ,much less than my truck's 315 70x17 BFG ATs have and they all were road force balanced . As with the set I had on my old XJ , I like them and they work for this area , not noisey either.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.