Max Tire size on 06 Wrangler X with 2" spacers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Max Tire size on 06 Wrangler X with 2" spacers

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery Mounts

Unread 01-15-2010, 01:21 PM   #1
06WranglerGal
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Max Tire size on 06 Wrangler X with 2" spacers

Hey Y'all! I'm new to this whole Jeep thing. Just bought by very first Jeep. It is a 2006 Wrangler X and it has street tires on it. I am wanting to put some mud tires or all terrians on it with 2" spaces as well. I don't know anything about these kind of vehicles and was wondering if I could get some help. I need to know what is a good tire to get, and what is the biggest I can get without scrubbing. I need some good tires cause I go hunting a lot on the weekends during hunting season. The roads at the camp can get pretty bad at times, and I was just looking for for some input from some people who have experience with these vehicles.

Also I know this is off subject, but are the transmissions in a manual supposed to sound different from a car? I'm used to drive a Scion TC manual, and was wondering how different a jeep is from that.

06WranglerGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2010, 01:25 PM   #2
Kerner
1980 CJ7 

I just put 31"s on my 2006 X with 2" Budget Boost. Good combination with the gearing and not having to worry about being too big. PM me for my e-mail and I'll send ya' pic's, too new to post pic's here. check my gallery there's a couple there.

You will hear a couple "clicks" during shifts as you now have more of a truck then a quiet "city" car, Toyota especially, welcome to the JEEP world.

Tires: BF Goodrich AT's, good all around tire, if you have the budget BF Goodrich MT's. Walmart has a Goodyear Wrangler that is reasonable.
Kerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2010, 01:41 PM   #3
06WranglerGal
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thank you! I was freaking out about the clicks I was hearing. One of the girls from work was just telling me that I was paranoid and it's a whole different thing compared to my car.
Unread 01-15-2010, 01:47 PM   #4
Kerner
1980 CJ7 

The Scion transmission is in front between your front two wheels, the Jeep transmission is between your front seats, below you. You will hear it =-}' You now have a "real" car with "real" parts.

the Scion, you are shifting a cable or rods, that run forward toward the engine. I'm not a fan of front wheel drive cars, great gas mileage, but that's about all their good for. My other vehicle is a 2003 Dodge Ram with 9" lift and 35"s.

For the lift, go to ebay and search "TJ budget boost" you'll see several examples of what a BB is.
Kerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2010, 05:05 PM   #5
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

You can run 32 X 10.5 R15 just dandy, IMO. Probably without needing to regear.

There is only one streetable 32 X 10.5 R15 tire that I know of, but luckily it's a dandy moderate hybrid tread.

The Parnelli Jones Dirt Grip 31 X 10.5 R15 (stated size) runs taller than stated. It's actually a 31.5 X 10.5 R15 tire. I think that's the largest you can run with good results with a 2" lift. It might not need regearing either. Probably doesn't need regearing if you have a manual transmission and 4L engine.

The PJ tire will be as good on road as a BFG AT, but much better offroad. I think the PJ is one of the most under rated and over looked tires there is. It's a good hybrid, especially in this unique size.

Another tire you might consider, though I'm not sure if you have enough lift for it, is the Dean SXT MT 33 X 9.5 R15. It's a hybrid tread that is excellent IMO, after adding more sipes to center treads. It runs shorter than stated size (which helps you). It runs an actual 32.5 X 9.5 R15. Not sure if you could fit something that tall though. If you had 2.5" lift, I think you could. With 2" lift, the Parnelli Jones 32 X 10.5 is a safer bet for you.

Both those tires would work great with stock 15 X 8 wheels.

P.S. - BFG AT makes a 33 X 9.5 R15 tire, but I think the Dean SXT MT in that size is better for you - due to hybrid tread and running 0.25" shorter. The PJ 32 X 10.5 R15 is your best bet though, with 2" lift.
CB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2010, 07:22 AM   #6
06WranglerGal
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thank you! I think I am going to go with some Cooper STT 275/70R16. Went and got prices this weekend. I am just waiting for them to come in, they were out of stock. I appreciate that advice!
Unread 01-18-2010, 08:53 AM   #7
GSU_DAVE

R16? Check your rim size before you buy anything. All stock TJ rims were 15" except the Rubicon Moab wheels, which are 16".
GSU_DAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2010, 09:46 AM   #8
06WranglerGal
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Correction on the tire size I am getting. 265/75R16

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSU_DAVE View Post
R16? Check your rim size before you buy anything. All stock TJ rims were 15" except the Rubicon Moab wheels, which are 16".
Yes the rim is 16, I'm sure they are not the stock rims on the Jeep because my spare rim is different than the ones on the Jeep. But they are Jeep Rims.
Unread 01-18-2010, 10:08 AM   #9
GSU_DAVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06WranglerGal View Post
Correction on the tire size I am getting. 265/75R16

Yes the rim is 16, I'm sure they are not the stock rims on the Jeep because my spare rim is different than the ones on the Jeep. But they are Jeep Rims.
These are the MOABs:

Personally, I think they are the best looking rim.
GSU_DAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2010, 02:40 PM   #10
06WranglerGal
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Yup, those are the ones. I really like them. My plan is to black out my Jeep. It's Silver and I was thinking about buying some after market black rims to put on it. But I really like these rims. I just can't decide.
Unread 01-18-2010, 03:37 PM   #11
atchison55
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i have seen some very cool after market rims if you are going to get them.
atchison55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2010, 09:26 PM   #12
06WranglerGal
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by atchison55 View Post
i have seen some very cool after market rims if you are going to get them.
Do you have any that you would suggest?
Unread 01-19-2010, 01:53 AM   #13
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

In a 16" rim, the two technologically best I've seen (and also good looking too) are the AEV Bridger and the Alocoa.

AEV Bridger Wheels American Expedition Vehicles

Alcoa Wheels Alcoa: Strong Wheels
CB3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.