Looking for tires? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Looking for tires?

WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation PackagesRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Steinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 07-16-2013, 10:01 AM   #1
jcb4wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Looking for tires?

In need of new tires for my 02 wrangler. In about a month I am taking it cross country. Looking for tires that will be good on the highways but also tires so that I can pull off the side of the road and do some wheeling. I previously have the Dakota Definity M/T, great tires no complaints! I was told my best bet is probably the Dakota At2's. Anyone run these!?! Any suggestions on different makes?

jcb4wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 09:47 PM   #2
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Definity Dakota AT2 would be good. They are a bargain version of the Cooper AT3.
The Definity brand is owned and made by Cooper.
I'd recommend either of those for great performance and good price. Of the two, the Cooper AT3 will cost a bit more, but might perform better/best. However, the Definity Dakota AT2 is a real performer for a bargain price tire.

Goodyear Silent Armor would be another great performer, but expensive.

Hankook ATM would be a great performer, except reputedly makes a bit more noise than the others I mentioned. It is expensive too.

Kumho Road Venture and Firestone Destination AT would be a good performers at a great prices.

For more info about ATs, see this thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f15/n...e-one-1527835/
Unread 07-17-2013, 06:43 AM   #3
jcb4wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Very informative info thanks a bunch
jcb4wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 01:26 AM   #4
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I also recommend Hercules all terrain tires. They make a couple good ATs.

Mastercraft makes a good AT.

Those brands are subsidiary companies owned by Cooper, as is Definity.

So all those are cousins with similar attributes.

As far as I know, only Cooper AT3 and Hercules AT2 have silica (sand) in the tread. That improves wet traction, Winter traction, tire wear, and gas mileage (reduced rolling resistance).

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.