Looking for replacement tires for quiet, soft ride. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Looking for replacement tires for quiet, soft ride.

Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank SkidTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 11-07-2008, 01:16 AM   #1
mikedavid00

Looking for replacement tires for quiet, soft ride.

Hi!

I just got a Jeep Laredo 3.7 4x4 2008 with 12k and will do anything for a less jiggly and rough ride over uneaven road dips etc.

I'm not sure if the dealership over filled the stock tires. They claim to use nitrous oxide but the mechanic after my purchase said that he didn't think they were filled with that so I really don't know if the tire has that in it or if that could be causing harshness.

Any recommended tire (with air or nitrous) would be great. I am not after good traction, but need all season. I read reviews at TireRack and many are contradictory.

Also, I notice with my stock tires that there isn't a lot of rubber that actually hits the pavement or at least it seems that way. The tread is in 'rows' with large gaps between them. It dawned on me that they might be designed this way to up mileage. Less rubber on pavement = less rolling resistance = better milleage?

Can someoen tell me what a 'comfort tire' is and tell me the drawbacks to owning one? Thanks!

mikedavid00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2008, 01:33 AM   #2
JeepDoo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

You are backwards on the mileage, the bigger the gaps between tread blocks means the worse gas mileage you will get because those gaps hit the pavement causing resistance. If you could post what tires you have right now i will give you some suggestions on what new tires to buy.

About comfort tires, they will have tread blocks running all the way around the tire without any huge breaks, that makes them quiet on the street and they get better gas mileage because they are smooth on pavement. The breaks in the tread, like you have on ur tires, are designed to grab the ground when you are on unpaved roads.

Off the top of my head, i would suggest the Goodyear Wrangler SR-A. But i could find you something better if i know what u have right now, just for comparison.
We've got too many gangsters doin dirty deeds. Too much corruption and crime in the street. It's time the long arm of the law put a few more in the ground. Send them all to their maker and he'll settle them down. - Toby Keith & Willie Nelson

[URL="http://www.norcaljeepers.net/forum/"][FONT="Century Gothic"][B][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]NOR CAL JEEPERS FORUM[/COLOR][/B][/FONT][/URL]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/sound-system-upgrades-speakers-amps-what-you-need-know-964324/"]Want to hear the music in your TJ, look no further...[/URL]

[SIZE="4"][COLOR="White"][B]Longboard Drunk, Jeep Naked, Ski Powder[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[COLOR="LemonChiffon"][SIZE="1"]and finish calculus homework[/SIZE][/COLOR]
JeepDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2008, 05:38 AM   #3
Macklin96
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Best riding tire hands down Michelin LTX M/S. I think They meant nitrogen not nitrous. That doesn't affect your ride at all in my experience and i have installed thousands of tires at my tire shop.
Macklin96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2008, 05:55 AM   #4
Muddeprived

Check the air pressure. Should be around 30-35. Too much and the ride becomes harsh.
Flux Capacitor Heat Machine
Muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2008, 07:30 AM   #5
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

if tires are filled with Nitrogen, they will have a special green valve stem installed. if its just a standard black Shrader valve, then its just plain air. Nitrogen in the tires is a good idea if you drive LOTS of street mileage, and you never go off-road. Remember - air is 78% nitrogen anyway.

What brand/name and size tire is on the Jeep now? I'm guessing 245/65-17 (according to tirerack.com)
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compar...G&startIndex=0
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2008, 07:48 AM   #6
Whybu1
Lets go Penguins!!!!

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Check the previously recommended Michelins for a very comfy road ride with no off-roading. If you do light off roading then try the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors; my wife loves them on her WJ (better ride than the BFG ATs)

For drawback to comfort tires: the better the on road manners and mileage the smaller the tread blocks and less off road ability they tend to have. Road and off-road are at kind of opposite ends of the requirements spectrum.
Whybu1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.