Looking for a good all terrain tire - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Looking for a good all terrain tire

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 05-14-2013, 01:37 AM   #16
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazzzzzam View Post
Do you have photo of this new grabber at 2 ?
I'm sorry, I don't. I just traded Grabber AT3 in today for Cooper AT3 to get a softer ride for my bad back.

The new Grabber AT2 Looks similar to old one and similar to BFG AT, except the new Grabber AT2 has larger lugs and voids and stone kicker ridges between all treads now, including outer and inner treads.

Those ridges between treads not only protect carcass from gravel, they also aid self cleaning of gravel, mud, and snow. So it self cleans instead of clogging like a BFG AT does.

My experiences with other tires has shown me that stone guard ridges really do aid self cleaning a lot. I didn't have time to fully test the Grabber AT2 (new version), but it did great at all I used it for. But the ride was harsh and rough on my back.

Unread 05-17-2013, 12:46 AM   #17
jimk403
Age and experience
2009 JK Wrangler 

We recently switched from Duratracs to Toyo Open Country AT IIs, and the difference is night and day. The Toyo's are better at everything so far, not sure about snow yet. In the last 24 years, I've ran most of the major tires, BFG, Firestone, Goodyear, Toyo, General, Yokohama, and some Chinese tires. The Yokohama Super Digger Vs were awesome tires, to bad they discontinued them. Dick Cepek FC IIs are pretty darn good, but overpriced IMHO.
How much do you want to spend and do you believe everything you read on the internet?
Unread 05-17-2013, 02:29 AM   #18
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I can now get a pic of new version General Grabber AT2 for you. The ones I traded in are now on display in the parking lot of a local tire store. I'll take a cell phone pic tomorrow, if not raining.

However, I much prefer the Cooper AT3 I have now. They are silent and ride much softer than Grabber AT2. Level of tread aggressiveness is comparable, and Cooper AT3 tread is slightly deeper.

Both are great tires for great prices. They cost me 40% LESS than a BFG AT and I think are better than BFG AT.

Also look at Firestone Destination AT, Goodyear Silent Armor, Kumho Road Venture AT, and Nokian AT.

BFG AT are also excellent, but over priced. Same for Toyo Open Country AT.

IMO ^

Additionally, there are probably other great AT choices I don't know about.
Unread 05-18-2013, 04:59 PM   #19
ParaRigger
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3
I can now get a pic of new version General Grabber AT2 for you.
Please do. I am in the market for some new tires and these are on my list.
ParaRigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2013, 04:23 PM   #20
L_Kilkenny
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Seem's to be mucho BFG envy going on here. I'm sure there are better tires, know there is cheaper tires, not so sure if there's a better AND cheaper tire. I've run various ATs over the last couple decades on a handful of different vehicles. I've yet to see one that will outlast the BFG AT, yet to experience one that is better for my hunting rigs. That includes the Goodyears, Generals, Firestones and Nokians. IMO, it is hands down one of the best tires on snow, works well on hard pack, doesn't chunk on gravel roads and does well enough in slop that I've never gotten stuck using em. They'll last 50,000 miles and wear well on pavement. For an AT, BFG's are a leader cause they plain work.

But....... for many they are still pretty aggressive. That's why BFG makes many decent yet less aggresive AT and LT tires. Wouldn't hesitate on any of em.

The worst I've had with tires on recent years is between the goodyears and nokians. The goodyears chunk bad and the nokians are soft and wear badly on pavement.
L_Kilkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2013, 04:31 PM   #21
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaRigger View Post
Please do. I am in the market for some new tires and these are on my list.
OK. Next week I will go on a tire photo shoot for you. Great tires, except for one thing, IME. They ride very firm. I mean harsh. I felt every bump. I traded them in for Cooper AT3 which ride soft.

If your spine is healthy and you don't mind a rough ride, the Grabber AT2 is awesome. However, my Cooper AT3 is awesome and rides nice.
Unread 05-19-2013, 04:34 PM   #22
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by L_Kilkenny View Post
Seem's to be mucho BFG envy going on here. I'm sure there are better tires, know there is cheaper tires, not so sure if there's a better AND cheaper tire.
No envy here. I previously owned two sets of BFG ATs. Good tires.

However, there are several better ATs now, and some of them cost less and are better.

My Cooper AT3 cost less and are defineatley better on and off road.
Unread 05-19-2013, 04:37 PM   #23
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

See posts 4 and later in this thread for AT rankings and reviews.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f15/l.../#post15453126

Unread 05-19-2013, 05:04 PM   #24
rebelbowtie
Frameless and Shameless

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I still wait to see what these "improved" General Grabbers look like because my AT2's look almost identical to the T/A KO's but fall just short of the BFG's in off road traction and I currently run both tires.

They're a great tire for the price and probably the second or 3rd best all terrain out there IMO with the T/A KO obviously topping the list.
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2013, 06:40 PM   #25
Concolour
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelbowtie
I still wait to see what these "improved" General Grabbers look like because my AT2's look almost identical to the T/A KO's but fall just short of the BFG's in off road traction and I currently run both tires.

They're a great tire for the price and probably the second or 3rd best all terrain out there IMO with the T/A KO obviously topping the list.
Nu'uh, coopers man, coopers. T/A KO's scare me in winter, haven't had a problem yet with my at3's
Concolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2013, 07:34 PM   #26
rebelbowtie
Frameless and Shameless

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concolour

Nu'uh, coopers man, coopers. T/A KO's scare me in winter, haven't had a problem yet with my at3's
Having lived in the south I've never driven in snow but we get 60+ inches of rain a year. I am always curious to why many people claim the BFG's are bad in snow or rain but they have the DOT extreme weather rating.
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 12:26 AM   #27
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

My BFG AT were great at all things on and off road, except mud. They were pitiful on mud. Their ride quality on road (and off road) was a nice soft ride for a load C, and they steered and tracked very well on highway. I also thought they were good in Winter conditions. They are quiet enough.They last a long time too.

All the same good things are true of Cooper AT3, except it's also good on mud, quieter on highway, and costs less.

I owned two sets of BFG AT and drove on them for years. Briefly tried Grabber AT2 (and got rid of them die to harsh rixe). Now I drive on Cooper AT3 (which ride as soft as BFG AT).
Unread 05-23-2013, 07:49 AM   #28
ParaRigger
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Charley3, did you happen to get any pictures of those tires yet?
ParaRigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 01:21 PM   #29
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaRigger View Post
Charley3, did you happen to get any pictures of those tires yet?
Yes I did. Pics in my phone since Monday. Don't know how to post a pic from my phone. Will need to transfer pics to a full size computer so I can post them. Will do as soon as I have time. Maybe this Weds night.

I forgot to do it when I had time. Now I don't have time today. I'll try to get to it tonight.
Unread 05-23-2013, 01:24 PM   #30
RIPNBST
2004 WJ 

Get those Wrangler Authoritys. They are similar enough to the Duratrac for me and are substantially cheaper.
RIPNBST is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.