Looking for a good all terrain tire - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Looking for a good all terrain tire

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 05-09-2013, 07:29 PM   #1
Shazzzzzam
2002 KJ Liberty 

Looking for a good all terrain tire

New to this kind of thing and need an all terrain tire , would like a recommendation
Currently looking at a wall mart good year wrangler authority
My tire size is 245. 75 16
Thanks

Shazzzzzam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2013, 12:01 AM   #2
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I recommend Cooper AT3 for a great all terrain tire. The best AT, IMO. Very affordably priced.

I recommend General Grabber AT2 for a great aggressive all terrain tire. An aggressive AT is midway between an AT and a Hybrid tire. Very affordably priced.

Dick Cepek FC2 is another great aggressive AT, but expensive price.

I recommend Duratrac for a great hybrid tire. This is one of the greatest hybrid tires, IMO. A Hybrid tire is midway between an AT and MT.
Unread 05-10-2013, 01:28 AM   #3
Concolour
1994 ZJ 

I run 245/70R16 cooper at3's and I must say they do not disappoint. Great on the highway, snow and the trail.
Concolour is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2013, 12:38 PM   #4
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

As usual, the BFG product, the BFG All Terrain T/A KO, is the best selling product, probably beating all other choices combined. But, it is far from the highest rated product among actual owners of the tire. In fact, it is well behind the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armour and the Firestone Destination AT.

Look at the survey results. this represents probably 30,000 owners' survey submissions.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey....jsp?type=ORAT
Unread 05-10-2013, 12:55 PM   #5
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

What is this mythical Destination AT you speak of? Like Sasquatch, I've heard of it, but never seen one IRL. Apparently not very popular in my local area. Probably because no tire stores sell Firestone in my local area.

My curiosity is aroused. I'm going to research it to see what's the hub bub, bub.

---

Cooper AT3 is excellent, but not on the Tire Rack survey-reviews because Tire Rack doesn't sell Cooper tires.

General came out with a new improved version of Grabber AT2, which is an excellent aggressive AT. The Tire Rack survey-reviews are probably the old version AT2.
Unread 05-10-2013, 01:18 PM   #6
FunkyJeepz
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Got 70k out of bfg all terrains with life close to 100k. Got em in 07 and just recently put on km2s. Almost all highway miles
FunkyJeepz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2013, 08:57 PM   #7
7T7
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Was deciding between the firestone destination ATs and Falken Rocky Mountain / Wild Peak ATs (same tire one is sold regionaly and other is sold nationaly). I went with the Falkens and they have been great so far.
7T7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2013, 07:08 AM   #8
givemeazj
2005 WK 

I put the 31x10.50 falken wild peak AT on my zj.... Loved them!

Took the jeep camping, offroading, and on a highway road trip for 1000 miles... They performed excellent!
Unread 05-11-2013, 07:48 AM   #9
mschi772
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
BFG Rugged Terrain (mild)
Cooper Discoverer AT3
Firestone Destination AT
Goodyear Duratrac (aggressive)
Goodyear Silent Armor
Hankook Dynapro ATM
Kumho Roadventure SAT (mild)
Toyo Open Country AT 2

That's my short list of all-terrain tires in alphabetical order. You really can't lose with any of them. BFG RT and Kumho SAT are both milder for better or for worse (depending on how much/little and how extreme/mild you wheel).

As someone who uses his Jeep as a daily driver but goes off road occasionally, I chose a milder AT tire (some consider it a highway/AT hybrid)--Kumho RV SAT. BFG Rugged Terrain is similar. If I went off road any less than I do now, I'd roll with Firestone Destination LE2 or Continental CrossContact (LX20 or LX Sport)--virtually no contest in the highway tire department really imo.
Honorable mention goes to: Bridgestone REVO 2 and General Grabber AT2

BFG AT is a best seller and highly rated, but you have to remember that a lot of people using that tire are either doing so by chance, by someone else telling them to, and/or because they've been using it exclusively for years. Many people don't know any better because they've never tried anything else. I've had conversations with people about tires where they go on about undeniably terrible tires being so great and the best they've ever had. They'd never used a truly great tire in their lives, so they didn't even know what they were missing; to them, their Goodyear Integrities or Goodyear Wrangler STs really were the best they've ever used.

BFG AT isn't a BAD tire; it's a good tire for sure, but it's old-school, and there are better tires out there for almost every type of driving one might want. If you INSIST on BFG AT, buy General Grabber AT2 instead--it's extremely similar in design/tech, is a ton cheaper, and may even be a simply better tire.

There are a lot of rebates floating around right now, and DiscountTireDirect.com is offering their own rebate in addition to many manufacturer rebates. DiscountTireDirect.com and Tirerack.com are fantastic places to buy tires, and they'll ship them straight to an installer for you. It's been many years and a couple cars since I've had a local tire shop beat either of these places' prices.

P.S. Unless you're really looking to do a lot of hard offroading, don't buy a tire with a heavy load rating. There are a lot of LT245/75r16 with load ratings of E in your size, and they will be very heavy and ride quite rough compared to an LT245/75r16 rated C or a P245/75r16 sized tire.

If you never go offroad, get a P-size highway tire. Don't let Jeeper peer pressure force you to buy a tire that your type of driving doesn't need. Lots of people buy inappropriate tires just because of how they look or because of peer pressure from their chosen automotive niche. My tires aren't "cool" by Jeeper standards, but my XJ is functionally far better off (for my lifestyle and type of driving) than a cookie-cutter Jeep with BFG ATs, Duratracs, or KM2s.

New sig rules suck.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2013, 09:15 AM   #10
rebelbowtie
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I have personally used the Revo AT2's, T/A KO's (multiple times), Nitto Terragrapplers, Hancook Dynapro AT and now General Grabber AT2.

IMO none of them perform as well as the T/A KO's but the Generals are pretty close second, the only all terrain I've seen flat out perform the T/A KO's is Duratracs. A couple of guys I ride with have them and they definitely grip better than my Generals but for the price you could buy a true mud radial and not an aggressive all terrain and most likely return similar mileage and loads more off road traction.

If I don't run a mud tire, my next tire will probably be General Grabber MAX Traction red letters.

Off topic the best highway tire I have used was the Michelin LTX M/S2 they're incredible and surprisingly ok on dirt roads and grass fields and what not.
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 02:21 AM   #11
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

The old version Grabber AT2 was very similar to BFG AT.

The new version Grabber AT2 (released about 8 months ago) is a different animal. It is more aggressive. It's the most aggressive AT there is, IMO. I have it on my XJ. I have not seen any pics of this tire on Web.

Duratrac is NOT an AT. It is a Hybid tire (part AT, part MT). The OP specified he wants AT.

An AT is better on road than a Hybrid. A Hybrid is better on road than a MT. An MT is better on road than a tank track.
Unread 05-13-2013, 03:57 AM   #12
Shazzzzzam
2002 KJ Liberty 

Do you have photo of this new grabber at 2 ?
Shazzzzzam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 04:00 AM   #13
Concolour
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3

The new version Grabber AT2 (released about 8 months ago) is a different animal. It is more aggressive. It's the most aggressive AT there is, IMO. I have it on my XJ. I have not seen any pics of this tire on Web.

Duratrac is NOT an AT. It is a Hybid tire (part AT, part MT). The OP specified he wants AT.

An AT is better on road than a Hybrid. A Hybrid is better on road than a MT. An MT is better on road than a tank track.
I think it goes mt, agro, theeeennnn tank track
Concolour is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 10:01 AM   #14
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post

Might want to get Goodyear to update their sales material then since they don't sell it as a "hybrid".
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 11:47 AM   #15
rebelbowtie
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Hybrid is just something people made up I think to let them sleep better at night for paying that much for an all terrain.
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.