Looking for best A/T (245/65/17) tires. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Looking for best A/T (245/65/17) tires.

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 10-09-2013, 11:07 AM   #1
colbski
2005 WK 

Looking for best A/T (245/65/17) tires.

All,

I'm in the market for new tires and I need some direction. First, I'm looking for the absolute best A/T tire in the <245/65/17> size. A lot of people are talking about the BFgoodrich A/T KO's but I guess they don't make them in that size.... A guy at one of the shops said they had the 245/75/17 in stock; however, I don't know they will fit whereas my jeep has 0 modifications.

What kind of recommendations do you guys have? Looking for the BEST A/T money can buy. Your advice and direction is much appreciated!

Thanks friends!

colbski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2013, 11:39 AM   #2
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbski
All, I'm in the market for new tires and I need some direction. First, I'm looking for the absolute best A/T tire in the <245/65/17> size. A lot of people are talking about the BFgoodrich A/T KO's but I guess they don't make them in that size.... A guy at one of the shops said they had the 245/75/17 in stock; however, I don't know they will fit whereas my jeep has 0 modifications. What kind of recommendations do you guys have? Looking for the BEST A/T money can buy. Your advice and direction is much appreciated! Thanks friends!
On my phone I can't see profiles, but I'll assume yours is filled-out and would answer all my questions about your vehicle and mods, but you need to describe your driving. How much time on road vs off? Where will you be driving, how often, and in what conditions? Do you tow or otherwise haul anything? What attributes of a tire are important to you (street/dirt/mud/snow traction, life, noise, durability, cost, cosmetics)?

My personal SHORT list of best AT tires is at least 10 tires long depending on many factors, so providing this info can really help us pinpoint your best choice(s).

BFG AT's don't even blip on my radar among the bests, so don't feel bad that you can't get them in that size. You can do some research into what maximum size fits under your Jeep then play with any of the many tire size calculators out there to find other equivalent sizes that could work and may broaden your tire selection somewhat.

Sent from my phone
Unread 10-09-2013, 12:03 PM   #3
colbski
2005 WK 

Thanks for the quick reply. My jeep has 0 modifications and I'd like to keep the tire size at 245/65/r17.

A lot of my traveling is done on the main roads; however, my wife and I love going camping so there will definitely be some 4x4'N. It also snows here in Idaho and snow covered roads make me rage! The A/T tire that can throttle the elements would suffice. Please note: I'm not interested in snow tires.. just looking for the BEST A/T.
Unread 10-09-2013, 12:50 PM   #4
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

I don't have size avail abilities memorized, so I'm not guaranteeing all of these will come in that size, but three important points seem to be that you spend a lot of time on the road but do to off-road, you live in a mountainous state, and snow is a factor.

I love my Kumho Road Venture SAT KL61s. They're virtually silent on the road, cheap, comfortable, have stupendous traction in MN and WI winters, and they handle everything else just as well (mud and very rugged terrain it have not tested yet). Their lateral grip is especially perfect which would keep me feeling better about hillside curves in the snow which I'm guessing you encounter in Idaho.

Cooper Discoverer AT3 and Hankook Dynapro ATM reign supreme in the middle of the aggression spectrum right now. You can't really lose with either. I haven't personally played with either of these in snow, but I've seen enough testimony to convince me they're good there as well.

Honorable mentions include Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor and Michelin LTX AT2, Toyo Open Country AT2, Hercules Terra Trac AT2, Nitto Terra Grappler, and Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac (aggressive).

Sent from my phone
Unread 10-09-2013, 01:22 PM   #5
colbski
2005 WK 

Outstanding! You really nailed it with your response and I thank you for your response to my inquiry. I'm really glad to see you mentioned the Kumho SAT and the Cooper AT3. Those were my fallback tires and given the responses I've seen about BFG-- I'll probably end up with the Kumhos or Coopers.
Unread 10-09-2013, 01:34 PM   #6
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Great choices and both WAY better than the BFGs for you. If you're planning on confronting any dicey off-road situations or mud, the Coopers are the safer bet as there's very little info available either way for how the SATs handle these things, and the Coopers have surprised more than one driver with how well they handle mud for an AT tire.

Sent from my phone
Unread 10-09-2013, 06:31 PM   #7
towerclimber37

Awesome advice! I'm also looking for tires and all i hear is BFG TKO's...i want more choices,so this is a great thread!
towerclimber37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2013, 08:07 PM   #8
DrPepper46
2004 WJ 

Perfect timing, I'm looking also...but

Just bought my 2004 GC Ltd last Friday with Michelin Latitudes P225/65-R17 and I thought I'd be happy...? Something is howling at road speed, 60->MPH and it's not driveline since it can change as road surface changes and goes away at low speed. I drive almost 100% highway, it's a pimp-mobile I admit it. I want a quiet tire with snow and wet traction...so...?

I'm thinking of buying a set of 16" wheels and dump the 17's. Lot more choices with the 16's. Anyone know if the '04 can mount 16" rims?
DrPepper
DrPepper46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2013, 08:46 PM   #9
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Howdy, neighbor...kinda; I'm over in Antioch for another few weeks before I move to Racine, WI. 16" wheels should fit a WJ just fine; some WJ guys have fit 15" wheels but have had to grind their calipers a little bit to do it. I honestly feel like there's a better selection in 17 vs 16, but it doesn't really matter. Either way, if you're sticking to the road and want quiet and comfortable, this is an easy one. None of the tires below will disappoint you; they are listed in my personal order of preference (kinda tied tween the first two).

Continental CrossContact LX20
Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season
Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia

Honorable mention goes to Firestone Destination LE2.

If you happen to want something a little more aggressive for some reason, Kumho Road Venture SAT KL61 (what I'm personally using now), Yokohama Geolander ATS, Michelin LTX AT2, or Goodyear Silent Armor.

Here's a post I made awhile back that elaborates on this a little that you might find helpful. This was directed at someone who was going to be making a cross-country trip in a WK. I have trimmed some of the bits irrelevant to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
  • Firestone Destination LE: This is a hall-of-famer. It was very popular and for good reason. The Destination LE2 is out, and I feel it is even better. It is not a touring tire, but it is quite comfortable.
  • Bridgestone Dueler H/T 684 II AND Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia: The difference? The H/L is a touring tire vs the H/T being simply a highway tire, and the H/L is a clear winner between the two ESPECIALLY for you.
  • Hankook Dynapro H/T: A rather new tire I have no experience with and can find very little info about. Trying to judge it by look alone and the fact that it is not classified as a touring tire leads me to believe that we can ignore this one without missing-out in your case.
  • Michelin Cross Terrain: A decent tire, but not good enough to make the cut considering your other options in my opinion.
  • Michelin Latitude Tour: Ho-hum. Not even as nice as the Cross Terrains. They don't handle cold well and don't really excel in any one area.
  • Toyo A-20 Open Country: I have no experience with and can find very little info about. It is classified as highway instead of touring and can be found as an OEM tire on some vehicles. Being OEM isn't always bad, but it doesn't inspire optimism because it is the exception when a manufacturer picks a good tire as OEM, and then it's usually not a tire categorized as an OEM offering such as Duratracs (Chevy chose to put them on many fully-loaded ZR-2s). Moving on.
  • Yokohama Geolander H/T-S G051: Good tire, but I'm not sure it's good enough to make the cut given how good the Destination LE2s are and because a touring tire is really what you're looking for given the cross-country driving. The G052 model makes sacrifices for looks, and the G053 is for heavy loads.
  • Cooper Discoverer H/T: Where the Destination LE2 reminds me of a milder version of my current Kumho RoadVenture SATs, these remind me of a milder version of Charley3's current Cooper Discoverer AT3s. I have no experience with them and can only find a little info out there, but I'm inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt; I'm not sure Cooper is capable of making a BAD tire.
  • Continental Contitrac TR: Yucky! Consider Continental CrossContact LX20 instead. Great touring tires equal or greater than the Dueler H/L 422.
  • Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor: This is an AT tire. Great AT tire, but totally not what you're looking for.
  • Nexan Roadian H/T SUV: I've already got a shortened list for you in my mind, and this isn't on it. Let's get to it!

Here's my bottom line. These are the ultimate contenders you should be considering in my opinion, so let's split a few hairs:
  • Firestone Destination LE2: A highway tire, but a fantastic one. In my opinion, unless some new tires really prove themselves, it is the only choice in the highway category for SUVs.
  • Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia: Ironically, as great as this tire is, its handling may be a little worse than the TripleTreds when pushed to its limits such as higher speed cornering. This tire is quite popular and is a fantastic choice, but I feel like the REAL choice is between the two following tires because they're all the Dueler H/L is and more. Food for thought: compare the tread pattern of this tire to the FS Dest LE (not LE2). VERY similar. Both have been all-star tires, but FS has decided to leave the tread pattern behind. I'm not trying to imply anything; there's way more to a tire than just its tread pattern especially since I'm talking about tires from two different categories here, but it is food for thought nonetheless.
  • Pirelli Scorpion Verde: The bottom line here is that this is the Dueler H/L but with better handling and better traction in less than ideal conditions (water, snow). I believe that from your perspective, this is also all the TripleTreds are to you as well as better handling and nicer ride.
  • Continental CrossContact LX20: A VERY close call between this on and the Scorpion Verde. Long story short, if temps will be warmer with more rain encountered, the Continental would be my choice. If colder temperatures are in the forecast with snow likely to be encountered, the Pirelli (and maybe even the Dueler H/L even more so) will likely handle the snow better. I'm REALLY splitting hairs at this point; you can't lose with either one.
(Yeah, I know, my two picks weren't even on your list to begin with. If for some reason you don't have access to them, my pick is the Dueler H/L hands-down.)

Rolling resistance is quite low on all of the tires above, so I wouldn't be concerned about fuel economy. Being a different class of tire, I'm not sure how the FS Dest LE2 compares to the tourers, but as a highway tire, it is quite easy on fuel.

Make sure you get a tire with a load rating appropriate to your vehicle. According to wkjeeps.com, your 2wd 4.7 WK has a curb weight of 4368 lbs. Like Charley3 said, tire pressure is super important, and do not trust the tire shop to get it right.

IMPORTANT! DISCLAIMER! I just saw your profile say that you're using GY Fortenza (you mean Fortera?) TripleTreds. I'm only familiar with the GY Assurance TripleTred All-Season. The Fortera model was the truck/SUV version and has been discontinued; it did get similar reviews to the Assurance, though; for this reason I will leave any comments/comparisons I've made to the TripleTreds in place above.

Fortera TripleTred vs Assurance TripleTred
Unread 10-11-2013, 08:47 PM   #10
DrPepper46
2004 WJ 

Thanks michi772...

haven't given much thought to Cooper tire, and looking at the web site is a bit of a surprise. Have never bought them, maybe a first time is in the works.
Thanks,
DrPepper
Unread 10-12-2013, 08:17 AM   #11
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPepper46 View Post
haven't given much thought to Cooper tire, and looking at the web site is a bit of a surprise. Have never bought them, maybe a first time is in the works.
Thanks,
DrPepper
Are you referring to the HT's that I made a passing mention of in my post to you or the AT3's that I mentioned in an earlier post? Be aware that the AT3's may be more tire than you need being on the road as you are because they're a moderately aggressive all-terrain tire. If you want an all-terrain tire, though, they're a great choice.

Cooper's Discoverer HT looks intriguing, but I know little about it. Similarly, DiscountTireDirect sells a Cooper HTP that also looks intriguing, but I know little more about it than the DiscountTireDirect reviews tell me. Anyone hoping to top the Bridgestones, Pirellis, or Continentals detailed above has a LOT of work to do. In their class, they stand well above the rest. Maybe a Cooper can do it; I don't know.
Unread 10-13-2013, 01:15 PM   #12
DrPepper46
2004 WJ 

Thanks neighbor...

I really was talking about any tire by Cooper, and the AT's are more than I want. Actually it looks likea toss up between the H/T and CTS right now. Big thing was finding a tire mfg that makes a LT tire in 17".
DrPepper
Unread 10-13-2013, 01:21 PM   #13
AirborneCav
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I have Kumho Road Venture AT KL78 on my Ford dually and love them. They are super quiet and handle great on and off the road. I highly recommend them.
[CENTER][B][SIZE="4"][/SIZE][COLOR="Silver"]SILVER JEEP MEMBER #15[/COLOR][/B][/CENTER]

When its time to clean up... [url]http://www.detailedimage.com[/url]
AirborneCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2013, 02:34 PM   #14
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPepper46 View Post
I really was talking about any tire by Cooper, and the AT's are more than I want. Actually it looks likea toss up between the H/T and CTS right now. Big thing was finding a tire mfg that makes a LT tire in 17".
DrPepper
Why do you need it to be an LT tire? A P tire should be plenty fine under a street to mild offroad WJ, and a P will likely be more comfortable.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.