looking at Beadlocks... why not good for street? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 53 Old 12-28-2009, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
badassjeep04
2003 TJ Wrangler 

looking at Beadlocks... why not good for street?

i dont use my jeep as my daily driver, but i do like to drive it to work every once and a while.

why do peoke say beadlocks are not streetable?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 Old 12-28-2009, 10:34 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Who says they are not streetable? Properly maintained, they are streetable. There is no law against their use either, not state nor federal.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #3 of 53 Old 12-28-2009, 10:42 AM
Peterpsc
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Check beadlock and wheel torque settings regularly and maintain proper tire "street" air pressure.

I have beadlocks and while my Jeep is not a DD, it's clearly "streetable".

Can't comment on legality (these days any opportunity for civil damages, warranted or not, is viewed as a lottery win).

post #4 of 53 Old 12-28-2009, 11:00 AM
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by badassjeep04 View Post
...why do peoke say beadlocks are not streetable?
I've never met a peoke that I felt was trustworthy. They all lie at every opportunity.

The people that say you canít run bead locks on the road are saying this because they are willing victims of internet rumors and they are unwilling to see and believe the truth even when exposed to it by reliable, knowledgeable sources.

Keep in mind that free advice can frequently be worth less than you pay for it.
post #5 of 53 Old 12-28-2009, 12:43 PM
glockster
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Here's the best read I've found yet on the pro's/con's of bead locks on the street. The decision is personal once armed with all the knowledge.

American Expedition Vehicles

Marco

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 53 Old 12-28-2009, 03:09 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockster View Post
Here's the best read I've found yet on the pro's/con's of bead locks on the street. The decision is personal once armed with all the knowledge.

American Expedition Vehicles
AEV is throwing out a lot of smoke there in a self-serving carefully worded effort to scare people into choosing AEV wheels. They're trying to scare the less astute into being too scared to run non-AEV beadlocks by making them think other beadlock wheels aren't legal for street use which couldn't be further from the truth.

The DOT has ZERO laws against running bead lock wheels, the DOT doesn't certify ANY wheel whether it is beadlocked or not, and so far no state has said beadlock wheels are illegal to run on the street.

I cannot BELIEVE how many half-truths and downright misinformation is out on the internet regarding beadlock wheels.

post #7 of 53 Old 12-28-2009, 04:33 PM
Peterpsc
2006 LJ Wrangler 

As I understand it, the socalled danger issue w/ beadlocks is the bolts holding the ring in place might become loose creating, at least potentially, a bead that could break loose while at highway speeds, braking hard, around a curve, and so forth causing an accident.

While it's true no law, at least that I'm aware, restricts beadlocks from the street, civil liability especially if you fail to properly maintain your beadlocks could be a risk, but probably no more a risk than having a bead break from improper tire pressure (emphasis on probably). We don't need to remind ourselves that for some civil damages opportunities is like winning the lottery.

FWIW, I agree with Mr. Bransford, the AEV language is written from a marketing point of view, smartly worded to be sure, but marketing driven nonetheless.

If you need/want beadlocks buy the best you can afford and maintain them properly especially correct tire pressure and torque requirements for the beadlock bolts and the wheel.

This is interesting too...especially the write up about beadlocks legality: http://www.staunproducts.com/beadlock.php

I run Walker Evans Beadlocks and like them. Run them on the street too. I would have gone with Hutchinson's but I couldn't get the back spacing i needed.

Last edited by Peterpsc; 12-28-2009 at 05:10 PM.
post #8 of 53 Old 12-28-2009, 09:03 PM
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I run 17" Allied steel beadlocks on the street no problem.

Just make sure to torque the bolts to spec every week or two. More often the better.

Legalities aside, there are no problems as long as you are willing to torque them religiously whether it is 120 degrees outside or 10 degrees outside.

Will you really maintain them as often as you should? If not then look for either the Staun internal beadlocks or stick with regular wheels.

SOLDThe lumbering steel-laden pig - 2003 TJ - 40" LTBs - D60/D70HD - 5.86s - Detroit lockers - 110" wheelbase

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 Sport
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.
post #9 of 53 Old 12-30-2009, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
badassjeep04
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander757 View Post
Will you really maintain them as often as you should? If not then look for either the Staun internal beadlocks or stick with regular wheels.
thanks man, that make sense.
post #10 of 53 Old 12-30-2009, 01:11 PM
mudmonkey2400

2000 TJ Wrangler 

You'll have to come up with some kind of solution to balance them.

Dynabeads, those balancing rings that go between the hub and wheel (whatever they're called), or BB/air soft beads inside the tire. I'm sure there are more options out there.

You just can't put traditional stick-on or clamp on balancing weights.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

2000 TJ : RK 5.5" X-Factor Long Arm, 1.25"BL/MML, RE Monotubes, RK HD Steering, Warn M8000, Lock-Right D30, Detroit D44 w/4.88's, 35x12.50R15 Pitbull Rocker Radials
1990 MJ : 2.5L, 5spd, 2wd, short bed and bone stock.
post #11 of 53 Old 12-30-2009, 02:47 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudmonkey2400 View Post
You just can't put traditional stick-on or clamp on balancing weights.
Having investigated running bead locks on my TJ, I see no reason they can't run stick-on weights. I've been running stick-ons on my wheels since nearly day one and if I get them converted to bead locks as I plan to, the same surface my stick-on weights are on will still be there.

post #12 of 53 Old 12-30-2009, 03:30 PM
mudmonkey2400

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Having investigated running bead locks on my TJ, I see no reason they can't run stick-on weights. I've been running stick-ons on my wheels since nearly day one and if I get them converted to bead locks as I plan to, the same surface my stick-on weights are on will still be there.
I guess it depends on the style? Seems like there's not enough room on a lot of them to put any weights on?

I suppose if you got a wider outer you could probably put some on there, or got the kind with the recessed bolts.

2000 TJ : RK 5.5" X-Factor Long Arm, 1.25"BL/MML, RE Monotubes, RK HD Steering, Warn M8000, Lock-Right D30, Detroit D44 w/4.88's, 35x12.50R15 Pitbull Rocker Radials
1990 MJ : 2.5L, 5spd, 2wd, short bed and bone stock.
post #13 of 53 Old 12-30-2009, 03:40 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Stick-on weights don't go on the outside like clip-on weights do. Stick-ons go on the inside surface where there is adequate clearance away from the brakes. Look through the holes on the right-hand side of the black wheels in your first picture and that black surface you can see inside is where stick-on weights go.

post #14 of 53 Old 12-30-2009, 03:43 PM
justanotherjpr

Maybe I'm crazy, but cant you install the stick ons from the back side of the wheel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
So do you actually hear your thoughts in your head or is it just sort of a dull roar before you smash your face into your keyboard and just submit whatever dumb **** ended up on the page?
post #15 of 53 Old 12-30-2009, 03:47 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherjpr View Post
Maybe I'm crazy, but cant you install the stick ons from the back side of the wheel?
That is exactly how they are installed while the wheel is still on the spin-balancing machine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.