Looking for beadlocks - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Looking for beadlocks

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-05-2010, 03:49 PM   #16
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Why do you think a 9" wide wheel width would be better for an 11.5" tire width? In my opinion, it would be better with an 8" wide wheel. The object is not to match the wheel width to the tire width because the tire's advertised wheel width is not the same as its mounting width. It's advertised width is not even its tread width. A tire's advertised width is really only it's maximum width half-way up the sidewall. Your 11.5" wide tire would be fine on the 8" wheel and I would actually prefer an 8" wide wheel for that size tire over a 9" wide wheel. Heck we recommend 8" wide wheels for 12.5" wide tires as a matter of habit.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2010, 07:16 PM   #17
Sahara01
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I really like my Spyderlocks, have beat the crap out of 'em in comp and wheeling, and still able to run down the highway with no balance weights...who said they are heavy ? I pretty sure the weight of the wheel is around 31lbs.
Shortbus Offroad Team #242
sponsored by
www.rockkrawler.com, GOODYEAR TIRES, http://www.browndogoffroad.com/ , Solid Axle Industries, Genright,
Sahara01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2010, 08:00 PM   #18
Tim
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i have been running the kmc beadlicks for a couple of years. like em alot
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2010, 08:27 PM   #19
REDLYNER
Mall Crawling Race Rig

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I went with Raceline because that seemed to be the overwhelming choice of the King of the Hammers rigs. I've had no issues with highway use and only run my tires at 20psi for the street anyway, so the 25psi deal doesn't matter for me.

I run around 4psi on the trail and have been more than pleased with their performance.
REDLYNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2010, 02:29 AM   #20
AlexGeorgakis
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Why do you think a 9" wide wheel width would be better for an 11.5" tire width? In my opinion, it would be better with an 8" wide wheel. The object is not to match the wheel width to the tire width because the tire's advertised wheel width is not the same as its mounting width. It's advertised width is not even its tread width. A tire's advertised width is really only it's maximum width half-way up the sidewall. Your 11.5" wide tire would be fine on the 8" wheel and I would actually prefer an 8" wide wheel for that size tire over a 9" wide wheel. Heck we recommend 8" wide wheels for 12.5" wide tires as a matter of habit.
Simex recommends 8"-10" wide wheels for their 11.5" wide tires. These tires have very inflexible side walls. You can deflate to 10psi and barely see them deform. That being said, I think that a narrower wheel width on an inflexible tire will stress the sidewalls more than when using a wider wheel, since these tires don't "bag". Also, too wide a wheel causes the bead not to push against the wheel's rim as much allowing for debris to accumulate over time creating an air leak, so 10" wide wheels aren't that great either. 9" wide wheels are right in between and are a good compromise. Of course, all the above is just theory and in reality doesn't mean much, so I'm not using this as a criterium to choose wheels. Backspacing is more important for me.
Unread 07-06-2010, 02:32 AM   #21
AlexGeorgakis
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDLYNER View Post
I went with Raceline because that seemed to be the overwhelming choice of the King of the Hammers rigs. I've had no issues with highway use and only run my tires at 20psi for the street anyway, so the 25psi deal doesn't matter for me.

I run around 4psi on the trail and have been more than pleased with their performance.
20psi on the street??? your mpg must be through the roof with all that rolling resistance. I run my IROKs at 30-33psi on the street.
Unread 07-19-2010, 07:24 AM   #22
AlexGeorgakis
2000 TJ Wrangler 

What's the difference between Hutchinson Rockmonster and Staun internal beadlocks?
Unread 07-19-2010, 07:38 AM   #23
AlexGeorgakis
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Another question about wheels in general, but relevant to my search is size. I've noticed that the wheels i'm interested in come either in 15" or 17". The tire I want to use comes in 15" or 16". This means that the 17" wheel is out. But this causes another problem. Up front I've got 330mm disks with large 4-piston Brembo calipers. This means that I cannot install a wheel smaller than 17" without spacers. So my question is, can I push my wheels out far enough so that the disk breaks and calipers are not inside the wheel? Will this cause any braking issues due to mud/dirt finding its way in the brakes?

Tags
beadlock , recommendation , suggestion , advice

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.