Little advice for tires? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Little advice for tires?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 06-06-2013, 03:06 PM   #1
ironbike
2011 JK Wrangler 

Little advice for tires?

I want to keep the wheels I have so I need a good All terrain tire in 255/75/17 which is the stock size. I currently have the Goodyear wrangler SRA's and im not impressed so I want something a little more aggressive.
Locally I can only find Cooper discoverers AT3 so far but I have found good deals online for the Hankook Dynapro ATM. The BFgoodrich AT's look great but I cant find them in my wheel size. Any suggestions of other tires that will fit my wheels?

I know there are a lot of threads on tires but I didn't find anything that hit my need for keeping the stock wheels

Most of my driving is on road with the occasional offroad adventure.

ironbike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2013, 07:09 PM   #2
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Look on Tirerack.com and DiscountTireDirect.com. Their prices will beat anything local you have, and they'll ship directly to an installer for you, so you won't even need to haul the tires around.

Here's a copy+paste of most of what I have to say about tires. I welcome any follow-up questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
Regarding AT tires
BFG Rugged Terrain (mild)
Bridgestone Dueler AT REVO 2
Cooper Discoverer AT3
Cooper ST Maxx (aggressive)
Firestone Destination AT
General Grabber AT2 ("classic"/aggressive)
Goodyear Duratrac (aggressive)
Goodyear Silent Armor
Hankook Dynapro ATM
Kumho RoadVenture AT KL78
Kumho RoadVenture SAT KL61 (mild)

That's my short list of all-terrain tires in alphabetical order.

As someone who uses his Jeep as a daily driver but goes off road occasionally, I chose a milder AT tire (some consider it a highway/AT hybrid)--Kumho RV SAT. BFG Rugged Terrain is similar. If I went off road any less than I do now, I'd roll with a highway tire like Firestone Destination LE2.

If you never go offroad, get a P-size highway tire. Don't let Jeeper peer pressure force you to buy a tire that your type of driving doesn't need. Lots of people buy inappropriate tires just because of how they look or because of peer pressure from their chosen automotive niche. My tires aren't "cool" by Jeeper standards, but my XJ is functionally far better off (for my lifestyle and type of driving) than a cookie-cutter Jeep with BFG ATs, Duratracs, or KM2s.

Regarding highway tires
Firestone Destination LE2 would be my recommendation--it's a fantastic, if not the best, highway tire you can get, and the price is very affordable (rebate at Tirerack right now, too).

BFG Rugged Terrain TA is classified as a highway tire but manages a more aggressive look and is also a super great tire. Similarly, I'm using Kumho RoadVenture SATs right now (classified as an AT I believe, but like the BFG Rug Ter, they really flirt with the line tween highway and AT), and I love them. Both the BFGs and the Kumhos might be more aggressive than necessary if you NEVER EVER go offroad I do go offroad as a means to an end on occasion (usually relating to camping or mountain biking), so that's why I chose to give the Kumhos a try. Even for what I do, a highway tire would still be just fine, but I wanted to try a tire I had no experience with.

Michelins are highly rated, but they're severely overpriced--you can get equally good if not better tires for less.

JeepForum is populated by a lot of offroaders. Many who aren't offroaders still want to LOOK the part and think everyone else does too. No doubt someone will recommend an AT tire, and I have no doubt someone will tell you that BFG AT is the greatest tire and is perfect for you. It's neither the greatest nor perfect for you. You don't go offroad regularly if ever--you simply don't need an AT tire.

There are a lot of rebates around right now, and DiscountTireDirect.com and TireRack.com are both fantastic places to shop. Their prices are almost never beaten, and they'll ship directly to an installer for you at which point you'd just set an installation appointment with said installer.

Bottom Line:
Firestone Destination LE2
BFG Rugged Terrain T/A OR Kumho RoadVenture SAT KL61
Yokohama Geolandar H/T-S G051 OR General Grabber HTS
I honestly struggled to pick a 4th/5th tire. To me, the first three are THE choices. There are many equally decent runners-up, but I chose the Yokos based on favorable reviews and having driven on them in a Subaru without disappointment; I chose the Generals because of favorable reviews and an overall trust that company has earned from me.

Despite rarely, if ever, going offroad, if you really want an AT tire for the look, BFG Rugged Terrain TA or Kumho RoadVenture SAT are my picks for you. If looks matter to you so much that either of those isn't enough, then nothing I recommend will really matter because you'll probably just be choosing a tire based on its looks alone.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2013, 10:07 PM   #3
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Id go with the ST maxx, General at2's or the GY silent armor's. Best tread wear, Strongest sidewall and all will net high mileage.
They all have deeper voids, Sipes and tough sidewall and will hold up on and off with no problems. Good luck either way
Unread 06-07-2013, 01:56 PM   #4
ironbike
2011 JK Wrangler 

Thinking I like the silent armor and Bridgestone deuler at revos
Unread 06-07-2013, 08:05 PM   #5
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Duratracs

Sent from my iForum using JeepPhone

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2013, 05:28 AM   #6
ironbike
2011 JK Wrangler 

Well because of price and the reviews I have read I went with the Hankook Dynapros ATM RF10. They make them in the same size as stock so I don't have to worry about changing anything else like wheels or spacers.
Unread 06-08-2013, 11:53 AM   #7
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbike View Post
Well because of price and the reviews I have read I went with the Hankook Dynapros ATM RF10. They make them in the same size as stock so I don't have to worry about changing anything else like wheels or spacers.
You made a good choice. It's one of the best, IMO.

All terrain tires ratings http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f15/n...e-one-1527835/
Unread 06-08-2013, 03:01 PM   #8
ironbike
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
You made a good choice. It's one of the best, IMO.

All terrain tires ratings http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f15/n...e-one-1527835/
Looking forward to getting them

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.