List of Available 30 x 9.5 R15 tires for Daily Driver XJ, ZJ, or TJ - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > List of Available 30 x 9.5 R15 tires for Daily Driver XJ, ZJ, or TJ

Iron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCKZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 07-17-2013, 06:39 PM   #16
atturo

You can add the new Atturo Trail Blade A/T to the list of tires available in this size.

trailbladeat.jpg

atturo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2013, 08:46 PM   #17
sunsetclb
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I'm thinking 31's now.....A/T but not to aggressive of a look/ tread ....I'm on the road more than I'll be off and if I am off road no rocks .... Oh and mud ... Unless I really need to, sand dirt gravel that's about it...dammmmm I'm gettin old..
sunsetclb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2013, 12:32 AM   #18
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetclb View Post
I'm thinking ... A/T but not to aggressive of a look/ tread ....I'm on the road more than I'll be off and if I am off road no rocks .... Oh and mud ... Unless I really need to, sand dirt gravel that's about it...dammmmm I'm gettin old..
Me to. The thing is though, ATs are a lot more capable than they used to be. The Hankook ATM is rated by many users as being decent in mud. The Cooper AT3 is rated by many users and professional reviewers as being good in mud (for an AT).

I have Cooper AT3 30 x 9.5 R15 and I have driven up hill in 4" deep mud in 2wd (open diff) with minimal slipping and no spinning.

Going to an AT isn't a sacrifice these days, IMO. I think its a gain on road, and the new generation of ATs can handle their business off road.

There are dozens of new generation ATs out there now. I'll add that the ones from Definity tires and Hercules tires are Cooper cousins.
Unread 07-18-2013, 12:34 AM   #19
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by atturo View Post
You can add the new Atturo Trail Blade A/T to the list of tires available in this size.
I added it to the OP.

It looks like a Cooper ATP, Hercules Terratrac AT, and Hankook ATM.

Does Atturo have any other tires in 30 x 9.5 R15?
Unread 07-19-2013, 02:34 PM   #20
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I found and added a few more ATs to the OP.
Unread 08-26-2013, 09:16 PM   #21
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I still hear and read people saying they can't find tires in size 30 x 9.5 R15.

There are MANY tire choices in that size.

Please see the tire list in OP.
Unread 09-18-2013, 09:19 PM   #22
Transy416

Was considering the Mastercraft CT, but am now leaning toward the Cooper AT3 for my stock XJ. Sounds like the AT3 will work pretty well, even for those really muddy spots.
Transy416 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2013, 09:40 PM   #23
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transy416 View Post
Was considering the Mastercraft CT, but am now leaning toward the Cooper AT3 for my stock XJ. Sounds like the AT3 will work pretty well, even for those really muddy spots.
The Cooper AT3 works well for moderately muddy areas - based on my experiences with it.

The Mastercraft CT is even better in mud, but the CT isn't as good on highway, and not as good for Winter roads.
Unread 09-22-2013, 01:43 PM   #24
Tailwheel42
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Another vote for the Cooper Discoverer AT3. I have them in 31 x 10.5 love them on and off road. Super quiet on the highway for an A.T. tire!
Tailwheel42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2013, 01:55 PM   #25
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailwheel42 View Post
Another vote for the Cooper Discoverer AT3. I have them in 31 x 10.5 love them on and off road. Super quiet on the highway for an A.T. tire!
To my ears, they are as quiet as an all season tire. i.e. - as quiet as a car tire.
Unread 10-01-2013, 02:05 AM   #26
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks the great thread. I was actually considering going to the 30x9.50r15 on my unlifted '04 Rubicon, which is currently shod with Grabber AT2s in LT245/75x16 on the stock 16 x 8 Moab wheels. These AT2s are load range E, which are extremely harsh and I was hoping that the load range C AT2 30x9.50s would be more forgiving, but apparently not from what you said above. Will probably try the Goodrich KOs based on your comments of the soft ride. Do you recommend 15x7 or 15x8 wheels?
Ed209 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2013, 03:02 AM   #27
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed209 View Post
Thanks the great thread. I was actually considering going to the 30x9.50r15 on my unlifted '04 Rubicon, which is currently shod with Grabber AT2s in LT245/75x16 on the stock 16 x 8 Moab wheels. These AT2s are load range E, which are extremely harsh and I was hoping that the load range C AT2 30x9.50s would be more forgiving, but apparently not from what you said above. Will probably try the Goodrich KOs based on your comments of the soft ride. Do you recommend 15x7 or 15x8 wheels?
Grabber AT2 load C rode really rough for me. The load E would ride even worse.

For soft ride from a tire that is tough enough and good on and off road, I recommend BFG AT, Hercules AT2, or Cooper AT3. Any of those in load C are tough enough and ride comfortably soft. They also handle and corner better on bumpy roads because they soak up bumps easiky.
I have owned BFG AT, Grabber AT2, and Cooper AT3 in 30 x 9.5 R15C. So I speak from experience. I have not owned Hercules AT2, but it has same carcass as Cooper AT3, and same or similar tread compound. So I assume the Hercules AT2 rides same as Cooper AT3.
A stiffer tire (like Grabber AT2) more easily bounces off the pavement on big bumps, which makes very sketchy cornering on bumpy roads.

I recommend you either run 30 x 9.5 R15 on 15 x 7 stock wheels, or 31 x 10.5 R15 on 15 x 8 stock wheels. Either will fit your stock TJ Rubicon perfectly.

Aluminum wheels will give a softer ride and better gas mileage (less unsprung weight & rotating mass).

Rubicons have miserably stiff shocks. Replace them with Monroe Sensitrac and your ride will greatly improve.

If you're willing to spend a few hundred dollars, replace the stiff stock swaybar with a Currie Antirock (adjustable) sway bar. A softer (adjustable) ride results for when left or right front tire hits a bump (as opposed to both tires hitting same bump at same time - like speed bump).
However, AR is intended for 2" lift or more. I had an AR on my LJ Rubi with 3" lift, and it was great and an easy bolt on install.

I now have an XJ with somewhere from 1.25" or 1.5" lift. It was almost an easy bolt on install, except I had to trim the adjustment rods (that control arm angle) shorter and then add more threads to the rods.
Unread 10-01-2013, 03:21 AM   #28
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Each of the things I recommended in prior post helps ride quality. Together they help a lot.

Do the cheaper easier things first. Save the sway bar for last, if you do the sway bar at all.

The advice in prior post is for stock height. If lifted, a different shock choice might be needed (like possibly Rancho XL9000).
Unread 10-01-2013, 03:33 AM   #29
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

A few more tips related to weight, suspension, and ride quality...

If you add a winch plate and winch, the weight will soften the ride of front suspension considerably. However, it might make the front to heavy for 30 x 9.5 tires to float on (drive on) sand. So with a winch or aftermarket front bumper (heavier than stock), you might need to go to 31 x 10.5 tires to have enough flotation for driving on sand.

If you have a winch and an aftermarket front bumper, you definitely would need a 10.5" wide tire, or maybe even an 11.5" to drive on sand without sinking.
I don't recommend adding an aftermarket bumper and winch. The combination is to much for suspension and makes a Jeep a fat nose heavy pig, IMO. I would add either an aftermarket bumper, or a winch mount and winch. In my case, I added a winch mount and a winch.

I didn't add a winch to get a softer ride. I did it because I need a winch, but a softer ride will result.
The above applies to any light 1/4 SUV or 1/4 ton Jeep that uses R15 tires (YJ, XJ, TJ). If you have a ZJ or LJ (even stock) you are already to heavy for 9.5" wide tires to float on sand, and already need 10.5" wide tires if driving on sand is important to you. If sand isn't important to you, then 9.5" wide tires are still fine with more weight on vehicle.

If you add some weight to soften ride, add useful gear/tools, but don't add to much! You will burn more gas, which gets you farther from a practical daily driver and closer to an off road Jeep (assuming you have appropriate tires for the increased weight). If you only add a little weight (and useful gear in the process) you can strike a useful balance (but you might need wider tires to support it on sand).

If getting a winch... I suggest a Superwinch 9500 SR (synthetic rope) winch (weight 65 lbs) because it's enough weight without being to much, and it's a great winch. For a winch of this weight, I suggest 31 x 10.5 tires on 15 x 8 stock wheels to give adequate tire flotation on sand, if you will be driving on sand.

I just bought a Warn M8000-S winch (55 lbs) for my XJ. I'm satisfied with the relatively light 55 lbs weight with my 30 x 9.5 tires since I still have a stock bumper with a relatively light 40 lbs Backbone winch mount and tow hook system. With the total 90 lbs extra weight, I will be pushing the limits of my 30 x 9.5 tires (on 15 x 7 wheels) to keep me afloat on sand. I think it'll be OK on sand (with enough airing down), but if not, I'll have to get 31 x 10.5 tires (and 15 x 8 wheels). Time will tell.

A winch needs to be rated at least 8000 lbs to reliably pull you out of most muddy situations.

An 8K rating is minimum. It's strong enough for me, and I prefer the lighter weight of the Warn M8000-S.

A 9.5K rating is an ideal amount of overkill that guarantees it will pull you out of anything. However, the Superwinch 9.5 SR is heavier (65 lbs) than I want with 9.5" wide tires, but is the lightest 9.5K rated winch I know of, and would be light enough with 10.5" wide tires. I'm still trying/wanting to use 9.5" wide tires, which is why I didn't get the Superwinch.

It's my personal bias, but I think on a Jeep Warn M8000-S or Superwinch 9.5 SR are the only winches that make sense. The M8000-S for light(ish) Jeeps, and SW 9.5 SR for heavier Jeeps.

===

If you add an aftermarket rear bumper with a trailer hitch you gain a softer ride in the rear (from the bumper weight) and you gain the ability to tow. Since the rear is relatively light, a 9.5" wide rear tire is still adequate for sand.

===

Bottom line, adding weight in the form of gear has two benefits, you have more gear/capabilities and a softer ride. The downside is the extra weight reduces gas mileage and weighs your Jeep down making it more difficult to climb steep hills off road, and making it sink more on/in sand, which might necessitate 31 x 10.5 tires.

So is adding weight a good idea? It depends. It's your call.

For stock weight Jeeps, I still love 30 x 9.5 R15 and still think they are best for stock weight daily drivers. If a Jeep is a little heavier than stock (due to gear) a 30 x 9.5 can handle that fine if you don't drive on sand, but if sand driving is important to you, you either need to avoid adding weight, or go ahead and add some gear/weight AND 31 x 10.5 tires.

Lastly, for 30 x 9.5 R15 tires, I recommend 15 x 7 stock Jeep wheels. For 31 x 10.5 R15 tires, I recommend 15 x 8 stock Jeep wheels. Ideally aluminum wheels.
Unread 10-14-2013, 10:12 AM   #30
Transy416

Just got the Cooper AT3's in 30 x 9.5 for my stock Cherokee and they worked great for me on mud, dirty steep hills, going over large rocks, etc. also quiet on the road. Only issue I noticed is some bumping in the rear if I was driving a little fast on gravel roads with potholes. This was with my hatch area full of gear so extra weight, and my shocks are original at 120,000 miles. Also noticed my rear bump stops are gone, so perhaps this is the problem (?) since these are slightly taller tires.

Last edited by Transy416; 10-14-2013 at 10:34 AM..
Transy416 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.