JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Tires & Wheels (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f15/)
-   -   List of Available 30 x 9.5 R15 tires for Daily Driver XJ, ZJ, or TJ (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f15/list-available-30-x-9-5-r15-tires-daily-driver-xj-zj-tj-1523888/)

Charley3 05-15-2013 07:29 PM

30 x 9.5 R15 tires for Daily Driver XJ, ZJ, YJ, and TJ

30 x 9.5 R15 in P rated, or Load C rated, is a great size tire for daily driven XJ, ZJ, YJ, or TJ because excellent on road and good off road. An excellent upgrade for an XJ, or ZJ, and an excellent stock size for a YJ or TJ.
(Compared to load C tires) P rated tires cost less, ride softer (more comfort), and get better gas mileage, but their tread has less depth (less traction), usually they are are less tough for off roading, and sometimes they have less load capacity for towing or hauling cargo.

Load C tires have deeper tread for more traction, are tougher off road (prevents flats), and often have a higher load carrying capacity. Load C are 1/2 ton truck tires, which is plenty tough on a 1/4 ton Jeep.

Load C ride firmer than P, but some load C tires (like BFG AT, Cooper AT3, Hercules AT2, and a few others) ride almost as soft/comfortable as P.

On a 1/4 ton SUV (any Jeep or other SUV that's NOT full size) P are best tires for on road. C are best for a combination of on and off road.
30 x 9.5 R15 AT tires fit good on stock XJ, ZJ, YJ, TJ, and perhaps other Jeeps too. They are also excellent for many years of Ford Rangers and Explorers, and many SUVs that use 15" wheels. A 15 x 7 wheel is ideal with a 30 x 9.5 R15 tire. A 15 x 8 wheel will work too.

30 x 9.5 R15 is the ideal tire size for someone who wants on and off road performance on a budget, and it's a simple, inexpensive, highly effective upgrade. IMO it's the ideal first upgrade for a new XJ or ZJ owner. I'm on my 3rd Jeep and I've tried many sizes of tires, including smaller and larger sizes, and 30s are my favorite daily driver size because they give an ideal combination of on and off road performance, and good gas mileage too.

I'm most familiar XJs. For that reason, the following talks about XJs mostly, but the list of tires is useful to anyone interested in 30 x 9.5 R15 tires. This includes people with daily driver XJ, ZJ, YJ, and TJ (as well as Ford Rangers, Explorers, and other brands of 1/4 ton SUVs).

It's the largest tire you can fit on a stock XJ or ZJ. It's also awesome with 1", 1.5", 2", and 2.5" lifts. Most notably Old Man Emu (OME) lifts. It's also the largest tire that works good enough with stock 3.55 gearing, though someday I might regear to 3.73 because I live in mountains.

Some stock XJs might have minor flare rub during articulation while turning sharp. My stock 96 XJ did this with BFG AT, but it was so minor of a rub that I ignored it and it was never a problem. It never rubbed on road, and only rarely rubbed off road. My stock 99 XJ never rubs on or off road, even when articulating and turning sharp (front sway bar connected, rear sway bar removed). I think my stock 99 XJ might even clear my 30" tires during articulation with front sway bar disconnected. This might be partly because my 99 XJ has tow package springs.

My 99 XJ is stock and running 30 x 9.5 R15 AT and nothing has ever rubbed on or off road. I intend to install an OME 1.5" lift (light duty springs) this summer, which will be a 1.25" lift with weight of my skid plates. My 30" tires don't need a lift. I just want a lift.

If you try 30 x 9.5 R15 tires on a stock XJ, it might rub LCAs slightly during sharp turns. This was the case with my stock 96 XJ. If this happens, a slight adjustment to steer stops will fix it, and turning radius still good. Any tire store will adjust steer stops for free, if you bought the tires from them.

---

See post 41 for places to buy slightly to moderately used 30 x 9.5 R15 tires for big discounts. You can sometimes get nearly new tires for greatly reduced prices.

---

The only complaint I've heard about 30 x 9.5 R15 tires is an alleged lack of selection. I have heard this from Jeep owners and tire shops. I've even seen many people post on the Internet lamenting a lack of tire selection in 30 x 9.5 R15. That is baloney.

So I thought it would be helpful if I posted a list of 30 x 9.5 R15 tires I know of. If you know of additional 30 x 9.5 R15 tires, please post them in this thread.

Below there are sections for highway tires (HT), all season tires (AS), all terrain tires (AT), hybrid tires (part AT, part MT tread), and mud tires (MT).

---

Highway Tires

Kumho makes a few highway tires in this size

Yokohama Geolander HT-S

Nexan Rodian HT

Falken Wildpeak HT
(Falken also makes a few other HT in this size)

Kenda Klever HT

---

All Season Tires

(between HT and AT for tread)

Yokohama Geolander HT-S

Yokohama Geolander AT-S

Cooper ATR - (part AS, part AT) I like this tire.

Mastercraft Courser LTR (AS)

Hercules All Trac AT (Hercules calls it AT, but really AS)

Multi-Mile Wild Country XRT III (part AS, part AT)

Kumho Road Venture SAT KL61 (part AS, part AT)

Toyo Open Country AT2 version P (part AS, part AT)

Uniroyal Laredo AWT II (2) (part AS, part AT)

Falken ZIEX S/TZ04

Michelin LTX MS2 (not sure if this is an AS, or mix of AS and AT, you decide)

---

All Terrain Tires

Cooper Discoverer AT3 (I'm running these right now in 30 X 9.5 R15 on stock 99 XJ, great traction tire, very quiet, great ride quality, soft riding on and off road). I like this tire a lot, but it's ice traction is only mediocre (for an AT). It's mud traction is very excellent (for an AT). It's snow traction is good (good enough). A very good tire overall, but NOT if you drive on ice very often.

Cooper Starfire SF-510 (similar to Cooper ATP) I like this tire.

Cooper ATR - (part AS, part AT)

The tires in indented section are made by Cooper, but sold under other brand names. The indented tires below are brands that are subsidiary companies owned by Cooper, or independent companies that hired Cooper to make their tire(s).
Multi-Mile Wild Country XTX Sport LT (very similar to Hankook ATM, but also has similarity to Cooper AT3 and Hercules AT2). The Wild Country has twice as many sipes as Cooper AT3, and 1/3 more sipes than Hankook ATM. So the Wlld Country XTX has excellent Winter traction, including ice.) I haven't tried this tire, but I want to. I love the tread design, large voids, and lots of sipes. I expect it would be a great all purpose tire with excellent Winter traction, including ice. It is gov snowflake rated as a Winter traction device. It also has larger voids for increased mud traction. This tire could be though of as similar to Hankook ATM, but with more sipes, larger voids, softer ride, and available in more sizes. The Wild Country XTX Sport LT will probably be the next tire I buy.

Dick Cepek Trail Country I like this tire. It's a relative of Cooper AT3.

Mastercraft Courser AXT (similar to Cooper AT3) I like this tire. It's performance should be very similar to Cooper AT3.

Hercules Terra Trac AT2 (similar to Cooper AT3, but the Hercules AT2 has twice as many sipes for excellent Winter traction, including ice.) I haven't tried this tire, but I want to. I like the tread design and lots of sipes. I expect it would be a great all purpose tire with excellent Winter traction, including ice. It is gov rated as a Winter traction device.[/b] This might be the next tire I buy, though I'm leaning more toward the Multi-Mile Wild Country XTX Sport LT at this time because the Wild Country XTX Sport LT has larger voids for mud traction. The Hercules AT2 has smaller voids than Cooper AT3 or Wild Country XTX Sport LT. So I expect Hercules AT2 would have less mud ability than those other two.

Hercules All Trac AT (mild AT, mix of AS & AT)

Hercules Terra Trac AT (very similar to Cooper ATP and Hankook ATM, somewhat similar to Cooper AT3) I like this tire.

Hercules Terra Trac RS (AT)

Definity Dakota AT2 (similar tread pattern to BFG AT, but tighter tread - smaller voids, and more sipes) Due to the smaller and more treads, tighter tread pattern, and more sipes, this tire is a mix of AS and AT, IMO.

Procomp AT
Hankook Dynapro ATM (AT) I like this tire a lot.

Uniroyal Laredo AWT II (2) (part AS, part AT)

Atturo Trail Blade AT (similar to Cooper ATP and Hankook ATM)

Yokohama Geolander AT-S

Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor AT

Goodyear Wrangler GSA (these came stock on many TJ Wranglers)

Dunlop Radial Rover AT

Kumho Road Venture SAT

Kumho Road Venture AT

Firestone Destination AT

Bridgestone Dueler AT

Nexan Rodian AT II

Falken Wildpeak AT

Federal Couragia AT

Kenda Klever AT

Maxxis MA-751 AT

GT Radial Savero AT

Liberator AT

Nankang AT

Treadwright Puma AT (tread similar to BFG AT)

Michelin LTX MS2 (not sure if this is an AS, or mix of AS and AT, you decide)

BFG AT (I previously ran these in 30 X 9.5 R15 on stock 96 XJ, good traction tire, reasonably quiet, great ride quality, soft riding on and off road)

General Grabber AT2 (Tread similar to BFG AT, but larger voids and more sipes)
I previously ran 30" Grabber AT2 on a stock 99 XJ. It had good traction tire, reasonably quiet, very harsh ride quality on and off road - every bump hits hard. This is because it has exceptionally thick/tough sidewalls for an AT. It's probably the toughest AT made. That extra toughness is good if you need it, bad if you don't need it because it makes a harsh ride. I don't need the extra toughness. Any brand of load C tire is tough enough for my off road adventures. Don't go for overkill. Go for what you actually need (whatever that may be).

The Grabber AT2 is the largest 30" AT made. It runs 29.8" tall, which is taller than any other 30 x 9.5 AT, and it runs approx 0.5" wider than others. Larger is only good when you can clear/fit it. This tire will clear on some stock XJs. Others may rub a little. The other brands of 30 x 9.5 ATs are slightly smaller and more likely to fit without rubbing. So whether the Grabber AT2 being larger than most 30s is a good or bad thing is up to you to decide. Being taller also makes it a bit higher geared, which may be a slight disadvantage for some. For others, being taller is appreciated.

Personally, I traded my almost new 30 x 9.5 Grabber AT2 in for some new 30 x 9.5 Cooper AT3 to get a softer ride. I did then notice a greatly improved ride comfort. I also discovered the Cooper AT3 is just enough shorter that it benefits my 3.55 stock gearing enough to be noticeably helpful in the mountains. Part of that might also be the difference in rolling resistance. Grabber AT2 has a higher rolling resitance than most ATs.
Toyo Open Country AT (still available at this time, but will soon be replaced by Toyo AT2)

Toyo Open Country AT2. I like the LT version.
There are 3 versions (P, LT, and Xtreme). Size 30 x 9.5 R15 is LT version, load C.
P has least aggressive tread (closer to All Season). LT has intermediate tread (AT). Xtreme has most aggressive tread (hybrid tread, IMO).

I prefer the LT tread version for AT use and that's what the 30 x 9.5 R15 is.
---

Hybrid Tires (between AT and MT for tread)

Cooper ST (hybrid - crossbreed of AT & MT) I owned this tire before. It's on road performance is OK (between AT & MT) and it's off road performance is excellent. Winter road traction is terrible, until you add extra sipes to center treads. With extra sipes Winter traction is OK.

Dean SXT MT (called MT, but really an aggressive AT or hybrid) It was recently discontinued, but some still availailable new and used. Similar performance to Cooper ST. Needs extra sipes added to center treads for Winter traction.

---

Mud Tires

The less aggressive MT could possibly be called hybrid tires. Some of the MT below are mild or hybrid like, while others are typical MT, and some are very aggressive MT.

Hankook Dynapro MT (highly rated for being good on and off road)

Firestone Destination MT (highly rated for being good on and off road)

Nokian Vativa MT (good on and off road)

Maxxis Bighorn MT-762 (OK on road and very good off road)

Cooper STT

Mastercraft Courser MT

BFG KM2 MT

Anteres Mud Digger (looks good to me)

Dunlop Mud Rover MT

Wild Country Radial MTX

Hercules Trail Digger MT

Definity Dakota MT

Federal Couragia MT

Yokohama Geolander MT

Yokohama Geolander MT Plus

Sumitomo MT

Maxxis Trepador 8060 MT

Treadright (several tread choices)

Thunderer MT

Kumho KL71

===
===
===

The 3 tires below were good in their day, and are still good for the money, if you can find them. I've read conflicting reports that they are discontinued, and other reports saying they're still made. I currently see sources on the Internet selling them under Trivant brand name.

I've heard these were/are made by BFG, Cavalier, National, and Trivant.

One or all of these were/are made in size 30 X 9.5 R15.

Sport King AT

Traction King (looks like an AT to me)

Mud King MT (looks like a hybrid to me)

===
===
===

I wouldn't be surprised if Les Schwab has a few more 30 X 9.5 R15 that I don't know about. Their pitiful website offers no size info.

kippen 05-15-2013 10:00 PM

This is awesome and timely. Exactly what I have been looking for. Thanks for the great write up.

Charley3 05-15-2013 11:24 PM

I see you are in Seattle. A 9.5" wide tire is good on wet freeways because little or no hydroplaning. So there's another benefit of 30 x 9.5 R15 tires for you.

A 10.5" wide tire can make a light Jeep (stock XJ or TJ) hydroplane on wet freeway at 65 or 70 mph.

Charley3 05-19-2013 01:59 AM

Top Rated ATs

All terrain tires reviews and rankings...

See this thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f15/n...e-one-1527835/

Charley3 05-19-2013 03:21 PM

Moved...

Charley3 05-21-2013 02:01 PM

A digital tire pressure guage is most accurate.

Tire Air pressure for 30 x 9.5 R15 load C tires

I arrived at these conclusions after much experimentation for 4 weeks with 2 different brands of AT load-C 30 x 9.5 R15 on my stock XJ with tow package (tow package rides stiffer than standard springs). Experimentation on my XJ started with using tire pressure formula described below for a starting point. Then a chalk test to determine if contact patch flat, except I use duct tape instead of chalk because tape is faster and more convenient to apply, lasts much longer (about 20 to 30 miles), and gives a more accurate test. Then final tests involved road tests checking handling on curvy roads, ride on bumpy roads, and high speed driving to see if it tracks strait or wanders, and testing high speed cornering. In the final tested I changed psi in 0.5 psi increments to find the best. Tire pressure always tested and adjusted on cold tires in garage around 55F at 9 PM. Driving tests were done in various weather conditions from cold and rainy to warm and rainy, to cold and dry, to hot and dry. In addition to road test on city roads, rural highways, and interstate freeways, I also tested on gravel roads and on a very bumpy road paved with baseball size rocks. I was looking for a tire pressure that worked on all paved road conditions, gravel roads, and on the very bumpy lumpy road paved with baseball size rocks. Can one tire pressure work for all those things? Yes. It works good on paved roads and mild off road conditions without need to air down. I think it will also work well for mild Winter road conditions without needing to air down.

Note: Cold pressure, or cold tire pressure, means the car has been sitting parked in the shade for at least an hour before testing tire pressure.

Here are cold tire pressures I find work best: 27 psi front, 24.5 psi rear at air temp around 55F to 60F. If air temp is 67 F to 72F, I want 28 psi front, 25.5 psi rear. If air temp is 79F or higher, I want 28.5 to 29 psi front, 26 to 26.5 psi rear.

With less psi steering wandered on highway. With more psi ride was HARSH on bumps and front tire(s) sometimes bounced off the highway (air born) when hitting worst bumps on highway, which is adversely affects steering and hurts my back.
Note: Rural highways in NW Oregon are poorly maintained. Some rural highways are like prerunning over bumps at 45 to 60 mph.

Friggin government stimulus money for road repairs was spent on what? Not the roads in this area!
BTW - Monroe Sensitrac shocks are the softest riding stock length shocks that I know of for a stock XJ. Though even softer (and longer) for front shocks is Old Man Emu TJ comfort shocks N66C (which will fit a stock or low lift XJ). However, the N66C shocks might be discontinued now. I'd better buy another pair while I can.
My psi figures for stock XJs are for the 30 x 9.5 R15 load C tires I have used. If you use a different brand or model of tire, your best psi might be 0.5 different than my figures. My figures are for load C tires. If you have a P rated (passenger tire), the same psi might work good, or it might need slightly different psi.
If you want to carry more than 200 lbs in rear cargo area, add 1 psi for every additional 100 lbs of cargo. Note: This info is specific to 30 X 9.5 R15 size tires.
Road test your psi. If adjustment is needed, adjust 0.5 psi and test again.

A digital tire pressure guage is most accurate and makes it easy to adjust in 0.5 psi increments.

---

Stock YJs and TJs are a similar weight as XJs. So the above applies to stock TJs, though there will be slight differences in best psi.

---

Stock LJs and ZJs are heavier (than XJs) and will need more tire pressure (than XJs).

kippen 05-22-2013 09:03 PM

Thanks for all of the information in this post. Very impressive and very helpful.

DavisI 05-22-2013 10:34 PM

Just to add to the list, the Definity Dakota MT from Pep Boys is actually pretty good, and super cheap. I had a set on a stock TJ I used to have.

Charley3 05-22-2013 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavisI (Post 15469322)
Just to add to the list, the Definity Dakota MT from Pep Boys is actually pretty good, and super cheap. I had a set on a stock TJ I used to have.

Thanks. I added it to the list of tires in the OP.

The Definity Dakota MT looks same as Hercules Trail Digger MT, which is to be expected since both brands are (to the best of my knowledge) owned by Cooper. i.e. - Definity and Hercules are subsidiaries of Cooper (I've heard). So it makes sense their tires look similar to each other, and have similarities to Cooper tires. So that makes them 1st cousins to the Cooper AT3, but at a lower price.

VietVet67 05-26-2013 07:20 PM

Schwab also makes an Open Country "sport" quiet tire and cheaper than most of the other Open country line BTW Works good in the snow i have found!here in Oregon!

Charley3 05-26-2013 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VietVet67 (Post 15483996)
Schwab also makes an Open Country "sport" quiet tire and cheaper than most of the other Open country line BTW Works good in the snow i have found!here in Oregon!

Schwab doesn't make tires. Schwab sells other brands of tires.

What brand is this tire? Toyo? Other?

It's available in 30 x 9.5 R15 ?

I can't find it on Schwab's website, but that could be a deficiency in their Website.

Edited in Later: He was probably referring to Multimile Wild Country XTX Sport LT, or Toyo Open Country AT. Not sure which since it appears he combined the names of the two into one.

Charley3 06-02-2013 01:21 AM

Most 30 x 9.5 R15 tires are 29.5" tall (manufacturer stated actual diameter).

Some are shorter (such as 29.3"). Some are taller (such as 29.8").

---

Examples:

BFG AT and Hankook ATM 30s are 29.5" tall.

Cooper AT3 30s are 29.3" tall. There are many Cooper related brands of ATs that are also 29.3" tall (Hercules, Definity, Procomp, and many others). Point being, 29.3" is a common height. It makes fitment on stock Jeeps without rubbing easy, and works good with stock gearing.

General Grabber AT2 and Hankook Dynapro MT are 29.8" tall.

I owned BFG AT, Grabber AT2, and currently own Cooper AT3. The Cooper AT3 is my favorite of the tires I've tried. The Hankook ATM is my other favorite AT.

The Grabber AT2 was noticeably taller and wider than BFG AT or Cooper AT3.

---

I have heard the Maxxis Bighorn runs tall, but I haven't checked. Maybe it does.

There may be other taller than average 30s that I don't know about.

---

The below applies to XJs:

Taller than average 30s would be good, if you have 1" lift, or a tow package XJ (sits a little higher), but on a typical stock XJ the taller than average 30s might rub slightly during tight turns, but probably not enough to be a problem.

With stock diff gears, a taller tire strains the engine and tranny a bit more on hills on highway, and in reverse when trying to back up a hill.

So the taller 30s would be better with 1" to 2" lift, and maybe 3.73 diff gears, but will work with no lift and 3.55 gears.

With no lift and 3.55 diff gears, a shorter 30 x 9.5 R15 is better.

An average height for a 30x9.5R15 is actual diamter 29.5". Less is a short 30 (my Cooper AT3 30s are 29.3").

What I said about diff gears applies to 4L engine with auto transmission. I don't know anything about manual transmission XJs.

---

I have run 29.5" (BFG AT), 29.8" (Grabber AT2), and 29.3" (Cooper AT3) on two stock XJs with 4L, auto transmission, and 3.55 gears.

IME 3.55 gears worked great for 29.3" tires, OK for 29.5" tires, and strained the engine with 29.8" tires. However, I drive mountain highways a lot. On level highways, all those tire heights work great with 3.55 gears.

Since I drive on mountain highways a lot and will be adding 200 lbs of skidplates, someday I want to regear to 3.73 diff gears. But the 3.55 gears are good if you don't add skid plate weight, or if you live in a level area. In a level area 3.55 would be ideal.

Charley3 07-07-2013 10:36 PM

Anyone who comes across this thread and has an interest in 30 x 9.5 R15 tires, please make a post so this thread stays alive.

Thanks

sunsetclb 07-14-2013 03:12 PM

Thread alive!!!! Thanks helps me...the debate in my head??? Small lift, no lift....30's no rub.... 31's some rub...

jimk403 07-15-2013 07:31 PM

Hey Charley, you forgot to list prices!
Just kidding.
With my previous '88 XJ, 4.0, auto, 3.55 gears at around sea level, I could run 31x10.50s and be ok. I changed to 4.10, and ran 32s, and wish I had gone 4.56. So I went back to 31s.
3.55 to 3.73 is not much difference, if you change gears, I would highly recommend lower.

The time now is 02:15 PM.