Lifted, but want snow tires - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Lifted, but want snow tires

Count Down to KOH Sale!Only 2 Days left to win $3,800 Jeep Parts!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-08-2014, 06:12 PM   #1
AlpineJeep
2013 JK Wrangler 

Lifted, but want snow tires

I have a 2.5" lift, and was thinking about snow tires however, I wasn't sure if I should get stock size or 33's like I have now. What do you guys do? I don't want to look weird but don't want to waste money on tires either. '13 JKU

AlpineJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2014, 07:14 PM   #2
brunolambert
2008 KK Liberty 

if you're looking for street driving in the snow, I would avoid wide tire at all cost.
Unread 11-08-2014, 09:07 PM   #3
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunolambert View Post
if you're looking for street driving in the snow, I would avoid wide tire at all cost.
Agreed. Narrower tires are much better on Winter roads.
Unread 11-08-2014, 09:12 PM   #4
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I think size 255/75R17 load C would be an ideal size tire for a JK on Winter roads. They're 32 x 10 R17.

Unfortunately there are only few all terrain tires made in that size, and no dedicated Winter tires that I know of.

That is one good example of why I made this other thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f15/p...-want-2698914/. I want to get another good AT and Winter tire option for people in sizes appropriate for Winter roads, especially in sizes that are lacking in a tire like that. At that thread you can vote for 255/75R17. Voting can't hurt, might help. Hopefully someday that size will be available in a Cooper ATW Winter rated AT. It also might help to email Cooper to request the ATW be made in that size.

However, for an immediate solution there are already a few ATs made in that size.
Silent Armor [is an RMA Winter rated (snow flake symbol) traction device]

DuraTrac [is an RMA Winter rated (snow flake symbol) traction device]

Mickey Thompson Baja STZ (I don't know if it's a Winter rated traction device, but I'm sure it's a good tire)

Possibly Firestone Destination AT (I've heard these aren't to good in Winter)

Possibly Goodyear GSA (I've heard these aren't to good, but some people say they are good)
The Silent Armor would be a good choice for Winter roads and excellent for road trips year round, and would be OK off road too. The Duratrac would be a more aggressive choice that would be a good choice for Winter roads, and OK for road trips year round, and would be excellent off road. IMO

The Silent Armor would probably be better on ice than the Duratrac, but the Duratrac would probably be better in deep snow. If it was me, I'd get the Silent Armor, though I'd rather have a Cooper ATW if it was made in that size tire. IMO

Another option would be stock JK Rubi tires, the BFG KM tires, but with cut sipes added to the inner treads and the inner half of the outer treads. Your local tire store can do that for you. I think this would give you a result similar to a Duratrac. IMO

If you had any Winter rated tire in that size (or well siped mud tire), I think you'd be doing well enough on Winter roads to be safe.

It would be even more ideal for you to have a dedicated Winter tire (ideally studded, IMO), but AFAIK that isn't available in 255/75R17. The reason I like that size for you is it's the tallest, skinniest tire available in load ratings STD and/or C. So the load rating would be appropriate for your Jeep for a daily driver that does some off road, and the tire is tall (for a skinny tire) and is narrow. Tall and narrow is a great combination for Winter roads, and an appropriate load rating is a nice bonus. IMO

===

Note: There might be additional ATs and/or Winter rated tires in that size that I don't know about.
Unread 11-09-2014, 07:06 AM   #5
brunolambert
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
I think size 255/75R17 load C would be an ideal size tire for a JK on Winter roads. They're 32 x 10 R17.

Unfortunately there are only few all terrain tires made in that size, and no dedicated Winter tires that I know of.
Why do you keep saying there are no winter tire in big size? I see all the damn full size pickup truck around with dedicated winter tire.

In 255/75/17, the blizzak and x-ice are available. And stop that obsession with load C, P is what is ideal for a JK on winter road. Heck it's ideal for a 1/2 ton pickup on winter road.
Unread 11-09-2014, 07:09 AM   #6
brunolambert
2008 KK Liberty 

Firestone winterforce comes in LT255/75/17 oh-so-great-load-C.
Unread 11-09-2014, 02:26 PM   #7
billiebob
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Why do you keep saying there are no winter tire in big size? I see all the damn full size pickup truck around with dedicated winter tire.

In 255/75/17, the blizzak and x-ice are available. And stop that obsession with load C, P is what is ideal for a JK on winter road. Heck it's ideal for a 1/2 ton pickup on winter road.
Full Size Pickups use Load Range D&E. If you are asking for advice quit with the sarcasm. Load Range C not only rides smoother it will also get better traction because the sidewall flex matches the weight of a Wrangler. "P" Metric has nothing to do with Load Rating.
Unread 11-09-2014, 03:34 PM   #8
WXman
Web Wheeler
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiebob View Post
Full Size Pickups use Load Range D&E. If you are asking for advice quit with the sarcasm. Load Range C not only rides smoother it will also get better traction because the sidewall flex matches the weight of a Wrangler. "P" Metric has nothing to do with Load Rating.
"P" rated tires actually have a higher load capacity than most LT-C tires of the same size.

And, full size trucks do not use LT-D or LT-E unless they are 3/4 ton or 1 ton trucks. 1/2 ton full sizes use "P" rated tires as OE equipment.

As has been mentioned there are dedicated winter tires for the Jeeps but I think a tire like the Cooper ATW would be an excellent compromise because you still get superb snow traction but you also get a mileage warranty.
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2014, 03:34 PM   #9
mschi772
1997 XJ Cherokee 

"C" is a load rating index for LT-metric and flotation sizes. P-metric is a different category of sizing and NOT a load rating. P-metric sizing has its own load ratings under categories such as SL, XL, and RF. On SUV's and light trucks, P-metric load ratings should be reduced by 10% to account for the higher centers of gravity of those vehicles.

P-metrics and LT C tend to be very similar in load rating. Ride quality goes to P-metric (SL especially), however. P-metrics tend to be lighter and cheaper as well.

Many/most light trucks come from the factory with P-metric tires, not LT C/D/E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineJeep View Post
I have a 2.5" lift, and was thinking about snow tires however, I wasn't sure if I should get stock size or 33's like I have now. What do you guys do? I don't want to look weird but don't want to waste money on tires either. '13 JKU
I think your question as been answered quite well. There are sizes close to or maybe even equal to 33" that have winter tire options available to you.
mschi772 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2014, 04:57 PM   #10
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

What's the conflict? The two choices are the Firestone Winterforce or the Bridgestone Blizzak . 255/75/17. Choose the Firestone if you want to stud it, the Blizzak if not. End of discussion.

EDIT:

Am I missing something? The above are available everywhere.

Quote:

Note: There might be additional ATs and/or Winter rated tires in that size that I don't know about.
Unread 11-09-2014, 10:53 PM   #11
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

In 255/75/17, the blizzak and x-ice are available.
I recommended the best possible tire size (tall and skinny) for a JK on Winter roads, IMO. I recommended several good tire choices in that size.

I did NOT say there are no dedicated Winter tires in that size. What I said was:

Quote:
If you had any Winter rated tire in that size (or well siped mud tire), I think you'd be doing well enough on Winter roads to be safe...

It would be even more ideal for you to have a dedicated Winter tire (ideally studded, IMO), but AFAIK that isn't available in 255/75R17...

Quote:
And stop that obsession with load C, P is what is ideal for a JK on winter road. Heck it's ideal for a 1/2 ton pickup on winter road.
Yes a P rated tire would be fine for the application, but IMO a C would be better (if you can find a C) because C has deeper tread. Deeper tread is advantageous in snow, IMO.
Unread 11-10-2014, 09:58 AM   #12
billiebob
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WXman View Post
"P" rated tires actually have a higher load capacity than most LT-C tires of the same size.

And, full size trucks do not use LT-D or LT-E unless they are 3/4 ton or 1 ton trucks. 1/2 ton full sizes use "P" rated tires as OE equipment.

As has been mentioned there are dedicated winter tires for the Jeeps but I think a tire like the Cooper ATW would be an excellent compromise because you still get superb snow traction but you also get a mileage warranty.
Quite right... I just never consider a half ton a full size truck. More like a car with a box.
Unread 11-10-2014, 09:16 PM   #13
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
There are sizes close to or maybe even equal to 33" that have winter tire options available to you.
Agreed.

The typical 255/75R17 is 32" tall in AT tires.

The typical 33 x 12.5 Rwhatever is around 32.5" when looking at AT tires.

So the 255/75R17 is only 1/2" shorter than a typical 33" AT. That's close, IMO.
Unread 11-11-2014, 09:33 AM   #14
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Agreed.

The typical 255/75R17 is 32" tall in AT tires.

The typical 33 x 12.5 Rwhatever is around 32.5" when looking at AT tires.

So the 255/75R17 is only 1/2" shorter than a typical 33" AT. That's close, IMO.
Agreed. And, the 32.1" 255/75/17 tire will be virtually indistinguishable from the nominal 33" which may also be less than 33" as most are.
Unread 11-16-2014, 04:28 PM   #15
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Since skinnier tires are always better for winter driving, you should be looking at a 235/85R16 or a 235/80R17 (32"x9") instead of a 255/75R17...
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
SLADE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.