Lift Process - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Lift Process

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-16-2001, 04:25 PM   #1
SBgreenYJ

Lift Process

allright guys im in dire need of working on my Jeep. Ive had it for a month and am now looking at all my options for what im doing to it next. I want a taller look. I plan on doing some off road like once or twice a week. Not sure if I want to keep my stock 15x7's or get a full new tire/wheel set. If im spending the money anyways I might as well go all out. What kind of process of work am I really looking at and who can make strong reccomendations on lift sizes, tire size, brands etc. Thanks in advance

Unread 09-23-2001, 07:38 AM   #2
Trekker88

Hello,
Heres the real deal with lifting your jeep
don't do it unless you have a good chunk of
money to spend on it. It doesn't just cost 350 bucks like they say in the magazines. when you start putting bigger tires and lift
kits on it's a whole new ball game. I don't want to scare you away from building a cool jeep, but plan before you do it, trust me.
Trekker88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2001, 10:24 AM   #3
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'd look at the 4.5" Rubicon Express lift. This seems to be about the best production YJ lift out there. This kit comes complete and you won't have to worry about what you didn't think of. Then you can just take the rest of your efforts towards picking a decent set of wheels and tires.

This ain't your only option of course. I just think it's probably the best "kit" you're gonna find.
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2001, 07:30 PM   #4
Cody_91YJ

I agree, I helped put one on a friends Jeep this summer and it went smooth, everything was in the box
Unread 09-30-2001, 06:05 PM   #5
iJeep

Yes, either the RE 4.5ED kit or the RE spring over kit. You might want to do some axle regearing at the same time. Also, the tires and rims would be good since you will probably run a 33in tire which means you will probably want an 8" wide rim...or maybe 10" wide.
iJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2001, 12:53 PM   #6
batman

Trekker88, you're right the magazines give you a great price until you call them and they tell you that you also need $300 more worth of stuff. I'm about to get a 4" superlift. everything i've heard about them is good and the kit with everything is gonna cost me a little over $700. I have a friend selling me 33's so i'm savin money there. be prepared to spend a lot of money.
94 YJ 2.5L, 4" superlift, 33" Radial MT, wet okole seat covers, Sunrider soft top, front and rear light guards, billet grill, clarion cd player, 2-10" RF subs, soundbar, tb spacer. Thats all I can afford with school.
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2001, 10:37 AM   #7
Jeremy Clark

Let me give you a tip. Big narrow tires often times work better than the wider tires. The wider tires are only desirable if you plan to sink your rig into some really deep mud. Good luck
Jeremy Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2001, 04:51 AM   #8
Big92Jeep
2008 JK Wrangler 

I would do things in this order:

1. Susp/Lift
2. Re-gear
3. Tires

If you do tires first (32-33s) They may not fit. Put larger tires on before you re-gear you will kick your self in the @#$!.

~Rick
Unread 11-02-2001, 12:21 PM   #9
rivertrout10

Bottom line on the lift - Rubicon Express 4.5 inch kit. It will cost you around a grand but is the most complete kit around. I see one of the folks here is about to buy the Superlift - mistake if he wants to keep his four inches. A buddy of mine has the same kit and after only a year he went from a 4 inch lift to a 3 inch due to sagging of springs. The RE kit has really strong springs. I have the 4.5 inch kit and have zero sag after a year or so. You will not need another part with this kit.

If you want to do it right - then do just that. Dont skimp out because you will regret it later. In my opinion it is better to spend the cash only once and do it right.

Good Luck,
Derek
Unread 11-02-2001, 09:31 PM   #10
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'd like to comment on two of the previous posts. Skinny tires, they won't keep a bead as well when aired down and have a smaller footprint. The only time skinny tires will fair well is in the mud. And that's when the mud is not deep and you want to cut down into the harder pack. This sorta applies to snow too, but not as much.

On the Superlift comments, first it's a 3.5" lift and not a 4" lift. So your buddy only lost .5". Also, no two Jeeps are alike for the most part. What works for some will not work for others. While I'd agree that the RE 4.5" lift seems to make everyone who has it happy. The Superlift is not for everyone, but if you're running the 4 banger and you don't have a winch, no tire carrier with 100lbs of gerry can on the back, the Superlift is going to work very well for you. The Superlift will not work on a heavy Jeep. The spring rate is just not setup for that. It's setup for the moderate Jeep with a softtop. Nice riding lift for sure.
Unread 11-03-2001, 12:56 PM   #11
rivertrout10

My apologies for mis-representing the Superlift kit - 3.5 inches is correct. I must also admit that I did not notice until later that the Jeep in question is a 95 (again - an oversite on my part) - my buddy has an older Jeep with the 4 inch lift (he lost an inch).

The Jeep in question does not have a four banger - as stated it has the 4.0 - so all the ifs go out the window. "IF" a frog had a pocket to carry a gun in he wouldnt be afraid of a snake is the old adage associated with retorical "ifs".

My bottom line still stands - the RE lift is a stronger lift than is a the Superlift - that is what I want to get across. Go ahead and spend the extra cash now and get the most bang for your buck. How many of us never add things to our vehicles? You may not currently have all the listed items mentioned by Osborn - but most Jeep owners are never done with the Jeep - its always a work in progress. Its called proper prior planning - plan for all contingencies up front and you will prepared in the future.

Good luck,
Derek
Unread 11-04-2001, 12:23 PM   #12
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Can't argue with your logic Derek. Just pointing out the Superlift has its place.

Hell, if you're planning for down the road, you start off with a 2.5" lift. 2.5" lift springs make excellent SOA springs.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.